[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.06 Early Access [Updated to build 41]

28 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

1 and 2?

1 & 2?

So many options.... 😂

Anyway, the original "1 +2" is fine by me, but I'd like the channels of an instrument to be:

Audio: "Diva 1+2 Primary Output"
Midi: "Diva"

I am so grateful for Cakewalk and the work that the Bakers are doing. The software is at the center of my creative life! Thank you! ❤️

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

So many options.... 😂

While they are working on it , my preference would be to not use the numbers at all. An option to use the Friendly Name only is what I prefer. 

33 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

I am so grateful for Cakewalk and the work that the Bakers are doing. The software is at the center of my creative life! Thank you! ❤️

+1 to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenLight said:

So many options.... 😂

Anyway, the original "1 +2" is fine by me, but I'd like the channels of an instrument to be:

Audio: "Diva 1+2 Primary Output"
Midi: "Diva"

Funny that this should come up again - as I was the first to complain about it. 😅

Which, I'm fine with now. We get use it - changes happen. 

But to solve this problem once and for all - best solution would be, to allow for Renaming Inputs on the Console and Track View. 

More user flexibility that way? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

I have build 041 but this VERY HELPFUL ERROR has intermittently happened in previous version of CW also:

1642684910_CWsavingerror.jpg.868230a8012ec42ec14797c8054e09fc.jpg

This happens when I simply save the file, I get this error and cannot save the file, have to close project w/o saving. There doesnt seem to be any special circumstance. In this case I was adding drum part tracks. I started with the snare track above ( pre adding it too a track folder ) and saved to see, it saved fine. Then i added all the other drum part tracks, popped them in a drum track folder, went to save and TAA DAA .. this error.

Its not the track folder thing because as I said it has happened a few times last few weeks randomly. Sometimes if i close the file and reopen / add tracks it saves fine then. Not in this case though. I am at a loss 

EDIT: Now this is odd. I decided to try turn off audio engine. Then SAVE .. guess what, it saved. Go figure

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Thanks 1

Re: visible number of ports (e.g., 1+2) Highlights from an earlier discussion: 

On 6/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, User 905133 said:

RE: Improved input/output port naming  . . . 

. . .I am wondering if it is possible to have an option to suppress the new automatic numbering when we choose to use friendly names.  

[other related posts not reposted here]

On 6/18/2021 at 8:48 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

We considered allowing  suppressing the prefixes. Where it gets messy is there are cases where the prefixes are necessary, eg WASAPI, or when they are used for synths so its difficult to get something that works sensibly everywhere.  

EDIT: I reposted these highlights because there has been new/similar discussion of the issue and not everyone might be aware that an opt-out for those of us who use friendly names has been mentioned as a possibility since it was discussed 8 days ago.

Edited by User 905133
to clarify my reason for highlighting excerpts from a related discussion
  • Like 3

Re: Opus and Orchestrator

Absolutely no issues running Opus and Orchestrator in Cakewalk..  I've had 10 instances of Orchestrator along with multiple instances of Opus along with Kontakt and Synchron being driven by Orchestrator, all happily coexisting.  Opus "dont preload" is a huge ram saver.

EW Michael Pluebell, head of tech support:

"Hey Stephen,

We tell people that we don't officially test on cakewalk so it's not officially supported - which is true. But in most cases, any daw accepting 64-bit vst, vst3, au, or aax plugins should work with Opus. "

Edited by Steve Harder
additional info

14 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I have build 041 but this VERY HELPFUL ERROR has intermittently happened in previous version of CW also:

1642684910_CWsavingerror.jpg.868230a8012ec42ec14797c8054e09fc.jpg

This happens when I simply save the file, I get this error and cannot save the file, have to close project w/o saving. There doesnt seem to be any special circumstance. In this case I was adding drum part tracks. I started with the snare track above ( pre adding it too a track folder ) and saved to see, it saved fine. Then i added all the other drum part tracks, popped them in a drum track folder, went to save and TAA DAA .. this error.

Its not the track folder thing because as I said it has happened a few times last few weeks randomly. Sometimes if i close the file and reopen / add tracks it saves fine then. Not in this case though. I am at a loss 

EDIT: Now this is odd. I decided to try turn off audio engine. Then SAVE .. guess what, it saved. Go figure

I have the same issue for more than 2 years. It seems some bug there.  And helps restarting the sound engine indeed.  More often I see this in heavy projects with lots of stuff. I know that its not related to this topic as thios bug exists for years there, but as you already wrote this - you are not only one who have this issue.

I even dont know how to submit this issue as it seems when this General Error appear there is no minidumps in folder appear...

1 hour ago, Andris Rinkis said:

I even dont know how to submit this issue as it seems when this General Error appear there is no minidumps in folder appear...

If you have a semi reproducible case send me a PM and we can try and troubleshoot it further. The error happens after the fact so from the message I cannot diagnose it.

You can manually capture a dump file while the message is onscreen but even that might not reveal the problem is it is state related. The best would be for us to give you an instrument beta builds and capture a log file.

16 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Re: visible number of ports (e.g., 1+2) Highlights from an earlier discussion: 

[other related posts not reposted here]

EDIT: I reposted these highlights because there has been new/similar discussion of the issue and not everyone might be aware that an opt-out for those of us who use friendly names has been mentioned as a possibility since it was discussed 8 days ago.

I will probably try and allow optionally skipping the prefix only for the friendly names case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi.  It would be great to have the area of activation of the note velocity edit function (with the smart tool in the piano roll view) bigger so that we can make adjustments faster without the need to be toooo precise with the mouse handling.  The same goes with the area of activation of the track widening function, which is currently way tooo small, at least with my 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.  That would be a great improvement in workflow¡

12 minutes ago, Gaston Arevalo said:

Hi.  It would be great to have the area of activation of the note velocity edit function (with the smart tool in the piano roll view) bigger so that we can make adjustments faster without the need to be toooo precise with the mouse handling.  The same goes with the area of activation of the track widening function, which is currently way tooo small, at least with my 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.  That would be a great improvement in workflow¡

Please post this in the Feedback Loop forum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaston Arevalo said:

Oof. Imagine on 1440p or even 4k.
I'm on the former myself. the UI sometimes doesn't lend itself too well to 1440p, but mostly the added real estate is GREAT.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:44 AM, Johnny Tsao said:

Can the Track Name text in the Inspector be centered?

705896801_1.png.7b5e0bbbd8f047801f420d35f6c1f44f.png

Is this a one timer or constant issue? Never seen it, but I just had a one time instance where the Inspector strips were void of all knobs and buttons, Blank background graphics were all that displayed.

You can already undo faders to their last value. Right click on any fader and choose "Revert to..."
To apply to multiple tracks use quick grouping. There are no plans to make this part of undo - it would be very confusing.

There is also mix recall that allows you to save and restore mix snapshots that is a much more powerful way to do it. Please post these topics in the feature request section not the early access thread.

• Like 6