[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.06 Early Access [Updated to build 41]

I've replicated your problem and it looks like the replacement synth uses the same outputs as the replaced synth, so if nothing is assigned to those outputs in the replacement synth...silence.

I added a TTS-1, and then used the "Append Instrument Track" twice to end up with 3 SITs in total, with outputs from the TTS-1 being 1+2, 3+4 and 5+6 respectively.  I then replaced the 3+4 (Replace on this track only) with the Korg Wavestation VSTi, which has 2 pairs of stereo outputs, by default, the second of which is disabled by default - it also has a keyboard in its GUI, so no need to worry about MIDI routing.

The Wavestation's GUI keyboard generated no audio, until I enabled Output 3/4 within the plugin, upon which sound was heard!  I then split the Wavetstaion SIT into a MIDI and audio track and looked at the routing of the audio track - as expected, its input was Wavestation 3+4.

I wouldn't class it as a bug, as it's logical, but it's not necessarily expected behaviour - defaulting to the first stereo pair output on the replacement synth as the track's input would be more useful in most cases.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Maxim Ustinov said:

Please, add a gain in/out knobs on EQ PC module, it would be great for gain staging and mixing

As a workaround you may place an empty FX-Chain-PC-Module before and after the EQ-PC-Module.
The FX-Chain-PC-Module has two gain knobs, indeed. 😉

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

What does the output inside the replaced synth reads? 

Seems like the plugin don't recognized the outputs. 

20 hours ago, Xel Ohh said:

SI strings does not have the option to choose an out due to it is a single instrument it doesn't have multiple outs ... And even when I choose a multi out vst same thing even when I set the out no difference. So no one else has run into this issue?

If it's suppose to replace the synth and only has a single out why did it not work?

This has been fixed for the next update.

The issue is when the original track is assigned to say outputs 9 & 10, and the synth you're replacing it with doesn't have outputs 9 & 10.  It was trying to retain the output port offset, but obviously it can't, so it fails leaving it unassigned.

So in the next update it will:

• Always set it to use the first output(s) of the new synth; and
  • Set the Track MIDI channel override to none (as it is with standard Simple Instrument Tracks)

You can change MIDI channel if necessary in the inspector by switching to the MIDI tab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 2
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The issue is when the original track is assigned to say outputs 9 & 10, and the synth you're replacing it with doesn't have outputs 9 & 10.  It was trying to retain the output port offset, but obviously it can't, so it fails leaving it unassigned.

• Set the Track MIDI channel override to none (as it is with standard Simple Instrument Tracks)

You can change MIDI channel if necessary in the inspector by switching to the MIDI tab.

@msmcleod Great news. Thanks a million.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Thank you... For a minute I thought I was going crazy.. lol... I finally figured it out tho.. you have to split the instrument in order to get to the out settings and change that it will work with any vst I put so far.. but just making it work is so much better tho.. once again thank u..

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Xel Ohh said:

you have to split the instrument in order to get to the out settings and change that it will work with any vst I put so far

It is not necessary to split an instrument track, the MIDI output drop down is on the MIDI tab in its track inspector.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scook said:

It is not necessary to split an instrument track, the MIDI output drop down is on the MIDI tab in its track inspector.

When I don't do this when doing the replace the instrument does not make any sound.. I showed it in the video no sound even when I changed the midi out ... The only way that worked for me was the split instrument

OK, I understand.

This is not normal behavior, the output appears to get reassigned as a side-effect of the split (normally this would not be noticed because the assignment should be the same in the instrument and audio+MIDI track pair), however; from what I can tell, there are other problems caused by this bug

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Will be testing this in the next release.

• Morten Saether changed the title to Cakewalk 2021.06 Early Access [Updated to build 41]
On 6/17/2021 at 5:54 AM, Morten Saether said:

Improved dropout management

To handle these cases, a new MaskDropoutDetection option in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Configuration File can be used to suppress dropouts.

image.png

Setting this value to True will activate dropout masking during playback and recording.

When activated, Cakewalk will continue playback and recording after it encounters a maskable dropout. This can prevent unwanted interruption of playback or a lost take while recording.

Although, I haven't had any dropouts in a while (Can't even remember when last) - this feature is welcomed with opened arms. 

Great work guys!👍

Hawks eye activated. 

On 6/16/2021 at 8:54 PM, Morten Saether said:

ALT+mouse wheel now zooms in the Piano Roll view Drum Grid pane

It may not seem like much, but for me, this is pretty huge. I tried it out last night on a drum idea I had and was just ripping through my beat creation process. This, along with the persistent note names, really makes drum composition more friendly.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:54 PM, Morten Saether said:

Improved input/output port naming for hardware and software ports

Another hallelujah. The first time I tried recording drums with the new port naming, it took about half as long as it used to to set up the inputs, and once I did, I felt more confident that I was safely getting my performance down. For someone who is recording themselves, the stress reduction comes out in the music!

The "Create new arrangement based on existing arrangement" new feature is not working, at least in my system. (Build 2021.06 - built 041, 64 bit).

After selecting sections on the Arranger pane, the context menu when right clicking the arrangements pane is greyed out. 

image.thumb.png.379361f2aec5a9dbebcdae31d9433557.png

Nice update. moving Tracks together was very needed!

I think, i find another bug:

If i have many MIDI tracks for the same Instrument with many different clips with programed pattern in the stepsequencer, I open one, (close it) and open another in another MIDI Track for the same Instrument (I have to select the new MIDI track first and better also to close the stepsequencer tab before opening the second). After closing the second clip (stepsquencer tab), I try to open another stepsequencer clip in another MIDI Track for another Instrument were is no pattern programed but get open a random pattern from one of the other MIDI tracks of the first Instrument. I have to open the third clip a second time before it open right (without a pattern).

For example:

I have a mpc drum plugin and programed 12 different pattern. Every pattern has 8 notes. Every pattern is a clip in his own MIDI track so I can copy them to different moments in the song and arrange them. I have the same plugin in a second instance (maybe with another preset) with one MIDI track. Now I look in one or more of the 12  pattern for 1 note (maybe the kick) and want to program this note via stepsequencer in the MIDI track for the second instance. So the second instance plays its kick in the same moment like the first instance for the full song. I have to open the stepsequencer for the second instance a second time before I can place the note because at the first try to open, it shows me one of the pattern for the first instance with all 8 programed notes.

Hope you understand. Its very easy to see in the screenshots 4-6. first I open the clip with notes and its open fine, then I open the clip without notes and its also open fine, but then I open the clip with notes again and it don't show them. I only switched between this two clips and after the third step the bug happens.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

Edited by Dusty