[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.06 Early Access [Updated to build 41]

44 minutes ago, Xel Ohh said:

‘Duplicate Selected Clip(s) as Linked Clips’ command

To duplicate the selected clip(s) as linked clips, press CTRL+SHIFT+D.

I dont understand what is this suppose to do... I just seems like the same duplicate that was already in place. Am I missing something here?

see https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X2&language=3&help=Arranging.32.html

If clips are linked, they all own the same content, e.g. if you change one - you change all of them.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:54 PM, Morten Saether said:

In

1 hour ago, Xel Ohh said:

‘Duplicate Selected Clip(s) as Linked Clips’ command

To duplicate the selected clip(s) as linked clips, press CTRL+SHIFT+D.

I dont understand what is this suppose to do... I just seems like the same duplicate that was already in place. Am I missing something here?

Linked clips are different from normal clips in the fact that changes to one clip are reflected in all copies automatically. Read up in the help.

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

RE: Improved input/output port naming  . . . 

If this is the way its supposed to be, I can get used to it, but I am wondering if it is possible to have an option to suppress the new automatic numbering when we choose to use friendly names.  

image.png.8a61781632bb2d901748c582e26942ef.png

image.png.3bd23a2b148ac92ed6d9ed9c51957a03.png

No way to suppress it today. However I'm curious why you are assigning all your outputs to the same name? Without the automatic numbering you would have no way to know which I/O you were assigning something to. Why do you want to suppress it?

2 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Just asking: Shouldn't it be that way? Having the I/O to read as "Mono/Stereo-in" | or | "Mono/Stereo-out?"

What defines the strips I/O as "Mono or Stereo?" 

Maybe I'm just confusing myself with this. 😂 

In Cakewalk all inputs and outputs are grouped into pairs of channels by default. The I/O simply let's you pick one or both of the channels. This way a track can address one or both of the channels without complicated routing. 

If the track produces a mono signal because of interleave or plugin settings and it's output is stereo the mono signal will be sent to both the channels. Conversely if the track is stereo and the output is mono the signal will be summed and sent to the mono output.

Routing is (and should be) a decision the user makes not the program.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

No way to suppress it today. However I'm curious why you are assigning all your outputs to the same name? Without the automatic numbering you would have no way to know which I/O you were assigning something to. Why do you want to suppress it?

I used to assign them with my own numbers: OUT 1 & 2, OUT 3 & 4, etc.  The only way I can do that is if I have them all "OUT" and let CbB assign the numbers.  Also, I would want ADAT 1 & 2 to be ADAT 1 & 2 not to be assigned ADAT 9 & 10.

If I name outputs the way I used to, I get redundant duplication.  

image.png.93795f2010d3c817133940d640a3c9d0.png

As far as not knowing where I was assigning something, I kept track of my hardware routing.  

Honestly, I never understood why so many people got confused that port 1 was a stereo pair for what might be called 1 and 2, etc.  For me, I just numbered them myself as friendly names.   But I can live with being forced to have good habits.  

I would rather that ADAT 1 and 2 be called ADAT 1 and 2 not numbered 9 and 10.  But I can live with it.  Was just hoping there could be an option to not have the automatic numbers added.

image.png.0303824830d6e8c01d63f425d93dcde1.png

Edited by User 905133
to add an image and further clarification.

53 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Routing is (and should be) a decision the user makes not the program.

100% Agree with you. 

But there's also room for software intelligence. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Just in case it wasn't clear, before the new automatic numbering, I numbered ports myself based on my needs. In the images I posted, I only labeled the ports with duplicate names (OUT, ANLG, ADAT) because of Cakewalk's change.  

I don't need two sets of numbers for ports--mine and ones assigned by the software.  So I got rid of my numbers in those examples.  I would prefer my own labelling system, which is why I wondered if there could be an option not to use Cakewalk's numbering system.  (Not a major issue for me.)

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I used to assign them with my own numbers: OUT 1 & 2, OUT 3 & 4, etc.  The only way I can do that is if I have them all "OUT" and let CbB assign the numbers.  Also, I would want ADAT 1 & 2 to be ADAT 1 & 2 not to be assigned ADAT 9 & 10.

If I name outputs the way I used to, I get redundant duplication.  

image.png.93795f2010d3c817133940d640a3c9d0.png

As far as not knowing where I was assigning something, I kept track of my hardware routing.  

Honestly, I never understood why so many people got confused that port 1 was a stereo pair for what might be called 1 and 2, etc.  For me, I just numbered them myself as friendly names.   But I can live with being forced to have good habits.  

I would rather that ADAT 1 and 2 be called ADAT 1 and 2 not numbered 9 and 10.  But I can live with it.  Was just hoping there could be an option to not have the automatic numbers added.

image.png.0303824830d6e8c01d63f425d93dcde1.png

Thanks for the explanation. Its difficult to find something that works for every possibility when it comes to numbering.
In the ADAT case, yes the driver is NAMING them as 1 & 2 but strictly speaking they actually are 9+10 as far as their position in the output list.
CbB has no idea that they are ADAT outs.
We considered allowing  suppressing the prefixes. Where it gets messy is there are cases where the prefixes are necessary, eg WASAPI, or when they are used for synths so its difficult to get something that works sensibly everywhere.

20 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Just in case it wasn't clear, before the new automatic numbering, I numbered ports myself based on my needs. In the images I posted, I only labeled the ports with duplicate names (OUT, ANLG, ADAT) because of Cakewalk's change.  

I don't need two sets of numbers for ports--mine and ones assigned by the software.  So I got rid of my numbers in those examples.  I would prefer my own labelling system, which is why I wondered if there could be an option not to use Cakewalk's numbering system.  (Not a major issue for me.)

Maybe the opt out is only when using friendly names?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 3

HI:)

Love this Shape Smoothing. In my case, if I use it slowly, I can see the line drawing, as soon I move it faster, it shows after releasing the mouse Button.

Looks like it's the same problem like changing Values in the ProChannel with Controller, I can see the result seconds later in the PC, but I hear them immediately.

I can live with that, but I think it will look better when it reacts much faster:)

No problems with all other new features so far, great new things in this release, my favourite is to reorder multiple Tracks at once👍

Bassman.

Video:

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 5:54 AM, Morten Saether said:

Reorder multiple tracks simultaneously

You can reorder multiple tracks simultaneously by dragging in the Track pane. To do so, select the tracks that you want to reorder, then hold down the SHIFT key while you drag any selected track.

Great addition!  We have indeed been discussing and requesting it! :)

But it left me thinking - why should SHIFT be required to be able to drag multiple selected tracks? I mean, they are already selected, so why not just left click-drag within the selection? (Compare Windows Explorer, where you hold SHIFT to select and then just left click-drag.)

Hm, but maybe the thinking is that it is common to have several tracks selected, and that one would often drag multiple tracks by mistake if SHIFT wasn't required? 🤔

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the update!

Especially for Insert committed arrangement at the Now Time feature. 😊

And Create new arrangement based on existing arrangement feature is great. 

Also I've noticed properly aligned tempos view in the Tempo Track, perfect.

And the new menus fonts look much clear.

And we finally have: Duplicate Selected Clip(s) as Linked Clips.

No. I'm not going to write every one of them because it's a lot! 😄

Thanks!

re: Replacing Synth

I'm trying to understand something here. I can replace the synth in a simple instrument track, but there is no indication it changed. The only way to know is to split the track and look at the output. When you first insert/create an instrument track, the synth name appears in the track name field. But when you switch the synth, the name field doesn't change. That does make sense in case you renamed the track and don't want to lose it. But in any instrument track you insert, the name of the synth is lost the instant you change the track name.

But other wise, is there any indication in an instrument track that the synth really did change other than splitting it?

Hmmm . . . when I saw "improved VST3 support" I hoped the bug regarding inserting Fabfilter Pro-Q3 VST3 had been addressed. (a reminder . . . insert FabFilter Pro-Q3 VST3 into the FX bin, on a new blank project - - -> instant Cakewalk crash) It's been a year and a half, is this on the radar ? I launched a ticket with FabFilter back when it first appeared, but they have not addressed it on their end ? Yes, the workaround is use VST2.