3 Types Of Audio Plugin I Regret Buying

kitekrazy

16 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

You know your hanging around with a real hard core fishing dude when you go to his house

I always figured that going fishing was a man's way of letting his wife know that it's over.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:30 PM, Bapu said:
On 6/18/2021 at 1:58 PM, jackson white said:

But perhaps I missed something as I'm still using release 6.4... 

nope. still the same.

Much like Melda, Izotope, Fabfilter et.al. new versions *usually* have a price associated with them.

Thx, was noting recent (and free) releases from several devs and referring to something like UADs dbx 160a. Was wondering if  it gets updated if I install a more recent release. They promote newer features of wet/dry, m/s which while useful, apparently would cost me $199 or perhaps -only- $99 when on sale. 

Melda has been good. iZotope getting less and less use here. FF is great out of the gate, hard to imagine what they could do for an upgrade. 

And then there's CxB...

On 6/16/2021 at 11:02 PM, Sheens said:

I haves 83 plugins of which half I probably will never use.

regret buying some Addictive Drums stuff and a mayger PITA to install.

Oh almost forgot regret buying a complete analog pro level studio gear.  There went a 2 years workpay down the toilet.

who or what is a Bapu ?  

Recently I unregistered all of my plugins, then selected a core to suit my mixing / mastering / production techniques. After loading up what the music needed rather than what 'I', I have about 25 now. Selecting & buying PIs should really be derived from one's production values and needs. Now it's much easier to 'just say no!'.   

Gary 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 6/17/2021 at 7:09 AM, Bapu said:

I don't regret buying any plugins.

mudSgIC.jpg

On 6/17/2021 at 7:09 AM, Bapu said:

They regret that I bought them.

Are you sure about that ?  This is what happens over at the plugin company's 5 minutes after you buy .

BjMVEiFEio.gifBjMVEiFEio.gifBjMVEiFEio.gif

tumblr_ovgd5qed0C1vzbquio1_250.giftumblr_ovgd5qed0C1vzbquio1_250.giftumblr_ovgd5qed0C1vzbquio1_250.giftumblr_ovgd5qed0C1vzbquio1_250.gif

Kenny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, Bapu said:

nope. still the same.

Much like Melda, Izotope, Fabfilter et.al. new versions *usually* have a price associated with them.

Melda has free updates for life.  You can't blame them if you bought the same plugin from them multiple times becuase your database where you keep track of all 20,000 plugins you own crashed.   

As for the OP / Article, looked pretty worthless, IMO.  

No one should regret buying outboard analog studio gear of high reputation just for the fact that they retain their value and even gain value with age as seen with well taken care of vintage boards.  

Plugins are very useful and do great things for your production so the question one should ask oneself when purchasing plugins is, "how much is the experience of using these temporary shelf life plugins worth paying for?"   Because they are not investments since investing is about long term gains on assets that do not have expiration dates and limited compatibility.

Sure you can resell your license and recoup some of that money but only after 90 days of ownership and 90 days is about the time it takes for the next better version to be developed and released that you will more than not be required to "upgrade" for a fee.  

I will not list those companies here, I do not want to risk my current standing privileges having access to "my" plugins.

On 6/19/2021 at 2:30 PM, paulo said:

I always figured that going fishing was a man's way of letting his wife know that it's over.

The first time is usually a tactic to convince the wife that he's "still got it" and "back to himself" and "being the guy she fell in love with" since she's been showing signs of disappointment and regret, aka "im leaving"...

I upgraded to Melodyne Studio 5 today. Only 2 days left for the sale so I figured I'd better jump on it. I haven't used my DAW since January but that's beside the point. I needed it damn it.

I'm REALLY gonna regret it when my wife sees the cc bill.

Speaking of regret, I burned up my Dremel I got for Christmas of 76 and replaced it too. Oh ... and I got myself the 4K import special box set edition of Willy Wonka. And I'm feeling a Lefty Fender Acoustisonic in my future as well.

I'm taking you guys' advice from another thread and just buying what I want then begging for forgiveness afterwards.

I'll keep you posted. If I'm able.

On 6/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, Brian Walton said:

Melda has free updates for life.  You can't blame them if you bought the same plugin from them multiple times

Their site actually warns you that you already own a license when you look at the plug-in or bundle's page. There's nothing about Meldaproduction's licensing or upgrade policies that bothers me. Other companies will happily sell me bundles that contain things I've already paid for at full price.

The only purchases I've ever regretted are when something better or less expensive comes along before I have time to get enough use out of it or if it turns out to be a CPU eater. And for both of those, I present Gain Match. Not an expensive plug-in, but I started noticing playback burps while using it, then shortly thereafter snagged a bundle that happened to have MCompare. And someone else recently came out with a freeware plug-in that is supposed to do the same thing.

Something that does what Gain Match does shouldn't be a CPU eater, so I didn't even notice it when I was demoing it. Checking levels on two different tracks and then setting a knob so that they match shouldn't bog down a DAW.

There are some that I bought years ago that I no longer use due to having gotten ones that do their job better, but they helped me learn. I can't blame SoundSpot that my ears have developed and now I want more precise controls and metering (Cyclone is still a favorite mid/side compressor).

1 hour ago, Wibbles said:

Even the ones I got for free, I regret buying.

They just serve to remind me of my incompetence.

I was about to say the same thing 😂

the problem is in the interface between the chair and the keyboard 🙄

On 6/21/2021 at 5:04 PM, Bapu said:

Or a Noel prefers to call it CbB

15fielding1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75%Don't look at me .....I'm only here for the Cake.....

Noel_web.jpg&f=1&nofb=1Cb what? I'm only here for the deals or no deals?

noelgallagher-promo1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1I'm only looking forward and I'm not angry.....

1200px-Noel_Coward_Allan_warren_edit_1.jI like long walks, especially when they're taken by people that annoy me.

• Haha 1