3 Types Of Audio Plugin I Regret Buying

kitekrazy

I haves 83 plugins of which half I probably will never use.

regret buying some Addictive Drums stuff and a mayger PITA to install.

Oh almost forgot regret buying a complete analog pro level studio gear.  There went a 2 years workpay down the toilet.

who or what is a Bapu ?  

Edited by Sheens

31 minutes ago, Sheens said:

I haves 83 plugins of which half I probably will never use.

regret buying some Addictive Drums stuff and a mayger PITA to install.

Oh almost forgot regret buying a complete analog pro level studio gear.  There went a 2 years workpay down the toilet.

who or what is a Bapu ?  

Such a lightweight.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sheens said:

… who or what is a Bapu ?  

'Tis a mysterious, nay legendary, mystical and mysterious beastie that some say crawled forth from the primordial soup at the very birth of life countless eons ago and uttered the mysterious yet emphatic first words ever spoken by any carbon-based organism this side of the Andromeda galaxy. Those utterances have echoed down the centuries and have become as legendary and mysterious as the mysterious life-form that spaketh them. Those profound and unforgettable words, should you need reminding, were: "Tune thy mighty third string on thy mighty Fender - other basses are available - until it resonateth at the perfick pitch of the A Minor note".

Either that or some bloke wiv sum basses, too many plug-ins, and an unmissable pair of plump, perky and protuberant moobs.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

'Tis a mysterious, nay legendary, mystical and mysterious beastie that some say crawled forth from the primordial soup at the very birth of life countless eons ago and uttered the mysterious yet emphatic first words ever spoken by any carbon-based organism this side of the Andromeda galaxy. Those utterances have echoed down the centuries and have become as legendary and mysterious as the mysterious life-form that spaketh them. Those profound and unforgettable words, should you need reminding, were: "Tune thy mighty third string on thy mighty Fender - other basses are available - until it resonateth at the perfick pitch of the A Minor note".

funny-monkey-2.jpg

• Haha 1

I regret ever investing into the bottomless hole that is an inherent evil in being a plug in "owner".   When a carpenter invests in their craft, they purchase the tools that will be reliable and last a lifetime guaranteed by a lifetime warranty, at the cost of what we pay for plugins.  

...PLUGINS that are only as good as the HOST they are being launched within.  One year tops is the usefulness of plug ins due to the exponential nature of technological evolution and the nature of modern consumerism (mental illness)

16 hours ago, Clovis Ramsay said:

I regret ever investing into the bottomless hole that is an inherent evil in being a plug in "owner".   When a carpenter invests in their craft, they purchase the tools that will be reliable and last a lifetime guaranteed by a lifetime warranty, at the cost of what we pay for plugins.  

...PLUGINS that are only as good as the HOST they are being launched within.  One year tops is the usefulness of plug ins due to the exponential nature of technological evolution and the nature of modern consumerism (mental illness)

Only if you could've seen my grandpa's garage,  He had those tools even for the "what if ' scenario.   There are companies that market with "you need this" in everything. I'm startin to believe hoarding is genetic.

Walk into a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop and see all of the magic products for catching fish down to the rods and line. They are designed to lure anglers because fish don't have money.

Then there are sponsored users always with a line "this saved me from____________.

I think few are disciplined in any field to rely on less.   I think those are kids with no money who have to wait for Xmas or birthdays.

I agree with VIs.   I stopped buying pianos.  I use FL Keys in FL Studio or ones in Live.   I can always change the sound later.  It's less clicks. I can open up Kontakt and wait, do a lot of scrolling and wait for them to load up and haven't started anything.

Every time there is a new string library on the market the response is always wow.

Every knew synth is the greatest because of it's sounds design capabilities and it's like this sounds cool but the reality is it sucks in music.

I think I've had every version of Komplete since 5 and have yet ever explored maybe 10% of it. 

Waves (never bought into their ecosystem)

NI (thankfully never signed up for the full version of Kontakt (didn't like the UI) and that army of developers in their ecosystem is seemingly relentless)

IKM (once again, the ecosystem)

and special mention for

UAD  (yep, the ecosystem. A few of their plugins are still top of the class, but that HW dongle has been in service for > 10 years and ya know it's gonna give out at some point. If the Apollo Duo had a digital out that supported integration with one of my existing interfaces, I'd sign up for the Unison platform...)

13 hours ago, jackson white said:

Waves - bapu owns it all, Mercury, Instruments, Abbey Road and SSL

NI - bapu is up to date with the Ultimate CE

IKM - once again, bapu has it all

and special mention for

UAD  - yup bapu owns about 70% of those plugins and has 4 Octo satellites (2 for his Mac and 2 for his PC)

I do not regret any of those purchases 🙂 

1 hour ago, craigb said:

"Only" 70%??? 🤔

Yeah, I own about 10% of what they offer in Native format and the remainder are things I just don't want (nard to believe, I know).

Of course there a small handful of Luna offerings that I can't use because I don't use their Unison enabled interface. I'm sooooo satisfied with my RME. If that *ever* breaks down I may go Apollo then.

19 hours ago, jackson white said:

UAD  (yep, the ecosystem...)

and the UI size. So much for trying to dial in a setting on a "meticulously modeled authentic analog emulation of a" skeuomorphic GUI the size of a postage stamp. Plus they've never offered updates on the ones I own, apparently opting to sink that hook in a bit deeper by "updating" existing offerings with multiple models for additional expense. But perhaps I missed something as I'm still using release 6.4... 

30 minutes ago, jackson white said:

But perhaps I missed something as I'm still using release 6.4... 

nope. still the same.

Much like Melda, Izotope, Fabfilter et.al. new versions *usually* have a price associated with them.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:45 PM, Paul Young said:

Walk into a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop and see all of the magic products for catching fish down to the rods and line. They are designed to lure anglers because fish don't have money.

You know your hanging around with a real hard core fishing dude when you go to his house , it's in the middle of the desert , he  has a Bass Boat  in his drive way,  and there ain't a lick of water to be found for 150 miles .  The Poor Fish don't stand a chance anymore ...

Kenny

15 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

You know your hanging around with a real hard core fishing dude when you go to his house , it's in the middle of the desert , he  has a Bass Boat  in his drive way,  and there ain't a lick of water to be found for 150 miles .  The Poor Fish don't stand a chance anymore ...

Kenny

Same here.  I use to live in the Midwest where I had 3-4 choices of rivers to choose from.  I use to have gear for that dream trip to Lake Okecehobee, FL that will never happen.  Most people don't know what a walleye is out here.  I had to sell half of my rods when I moved out there. The ones I have now are basically ultralight gear. There is so much dust on them.  The price of this stuff is much higher now and I wouldn't want to replace them.  When I see bass boats being hauled I assume they are going to California. We have a man made lake 30 minutes away but I hate man made lakes. For what I've paid for most of this DAW stuff in the past year in a half I could've gotten a lifetime license.  Ironic that the DAW stuff and fishing license would get about the same use. I'm an angler so I don't use bait.

• Like 1