Sands Of Time (2021 Remix)

AndyB01

Hi All

I haven't posted anything in a while, I've been revisiting some old stuff and this is a re-work of one I posted on the old Sonar forums about four years ago; but it didn't get much traction at the time.

I've taken off the original drum track, which was far too heavy and added a bass track; but the vocal is unchanged. It's heavy on verb and delay for a reason - this was a very challenging vocal (for me anyway) and I didn't fancy re-cutting it; there is some sibilance and I must attend to that at some point.

The piano track is built from EZkeys, with a few subtle tweaks and embellishments but the lyrics are all my work. I guess it's about two people entering the sunset of their lives.

I'm in the process of porting my stuff from SoundCloud to Bandlab (too many ads and too much spam in SC). This is one of the songs I have completed so far.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, see what you think; nits and crits welcome as always.

https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/10d7d068-62cb-eb11-a7ad-0050f280467f

Andy

• Like 1

Cheers folks, the 'piano' Jack is actually three different samples: an EZkeys upright ballad piano, a Bosendorfer 225 B sample from Synthogy Ivory (including a lush pad) and an old DimPro sample of some DX Tines - which I still love the sound of.

'Wistful nostalgia' is exactly what I was going for David 😂 - I may have cropped the fade out a little too early (good spot thanks - I'll check).

Kurt, I had stronger drums in the original and grew to really dislike them; so I went for a really light stick on the pre-chorus and chorus only. I might try more weight towards the end as you suggest.

Really appreciate the feedback and your time as always gents.

Andy

Edited by AndyB01

Hi AndyB01 . . . super well written ballad, comes across really clear. I always found the slower evolving songs harder to make work, but you've really done it here. I think you're saying the previous version had heavier drums, and I see why you scaled them back, the song doesn't need a lot other than that focus on the piano and vocals. The one thing that jumped out to my ear was right at the end, the lyric "so in love with you" has a noticeable kind of electronic gliss slide up sound in the vocal, not sure if that was intended. I like the way you mixed and conceived the harmony vocals, adds some interest, without taking away from the lead vocal.

It's inspiring and easy to listen to, with great lyrics, sung from the core . . . very much enjoyed it !

Nice you are  "revisiting some old stuff" . . . what else do you have in the vault ? ("Art is never finished, only abandoned")

Cheers Jim, I thought the bass sounded about right on the mix (I was using SoundIDReference on cans though) - I'll see if that shouldn't come up a  touch.

2 hours ago, noynekker said:

The one thing that jumped out to my ear was right at the end, the lyric "so in love with you" has a noticeable kind of electronic gliss slide up sound in the vocal, not sure if that was intended. 

Nice you are  "revisiting some old stuff" . . . what else do you have in the vault ? ("Art is never finished, only abandoned")

Thank you for the kind comments, I hear that 'gliss' too and anything odd-sounding in the vocal is almost certainly a combination of three things:

1. Poor vocal technique
  2. Over-dosing of effects
  3. Over-cooked use of Melodyne

Certainly not intentional, so if it sounded good it's more luck than judgement. 😉

I have a couple of others I have plans for - one is crying out for a female lead vocalist, unfortunately I don't have access to one; apart from Mrs AndyB01 and although she has many fine qualities and talents - singing isn't one of them.

Appreciate the time and crits, as always

Andy

11 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Andy

Good track - i heard the sibilance and i thought i did hear some over use of a desser, but these are small criticisms - what did you use as a  Desser?

Otherwise all good

Nigel

Nigel, I tend to use RX8 for vocal processing but since I did this I have purchased an upgraded version of Melodyne - which I believe has a few additional tools and tricks to deal with sibilance but I haven't tried those on this yet. To be brutally honest, I need to put the time in and start again with the raw vocal and if it isn't good enough just bite the bullet and re-record it. With vocal comping tools I don't even need to do it in one take any more, so there really is no excuse. Thanks for your ears and your time.

Andy

Really like the lyrics and the kind of sparse piano that enhances the sentiment.
The drums are subtle, just enough I think.
The "autotune" effect stuck out to me. I have to use Melodyne with my vocal track all the time.  It's really good but can get tricky if pushed too far.
I enjoyed listening to your song.
-Bjorn

@bjornpdx I know and I agree - you can clearly hear where it has been overcooked. I wish I didn't need to use Melodyne but it's a necessity. I have to practice my vocals more and and get better and using the FX so they are less noticeable. Appreciate the feedback. Andy

What a lovely composition. For me the drums should definitely be a bit louder in the mix, not that they have to be there all the time or anything.

Killer piano chimey yet substantial. Perfect tone for this!

The vocal itself is wonderful considering the Melodyne, only in one spot I think did it go full-tilt Cher. I think the overcooking might be on a compressor setting somewhere? It is a lovely vocal with sublime lyrics and I think it could easily be dropped a full db throughout the entire song, just as an experiment, does the mix breathe more? Do the drums perk up? Is that "overcooking" solved?

I dunno. The bgv's are in such good spots. Your piece is a complete study of the effective use of intervals. Loved it!

cheers,

-Tom

6 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

What a lovely composition. For me the drums should definitely be a bit louder in the mix, not that they have to be there all the time or anything.

Killer piano chimey yet substantial. Perfect tone for this!

The vocal itself is wonderful considering the Melodyne, only in one spot I think did it go full-tilt Cher. I think the overcooking might be on a compressor setting somewhere? It is a lovely vocal with sublime lyrics and I think it could easily be dropped a full db throughout the entire song, just as an experiment, does the mix breathe more? Do the drums perk up? Is that "overcooking" solved?

I dunno. The bgv's are in such good spots. Your piece is a complete study of the effective use of intervals. Loved it!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom for your kind comments

You've inspired me to keep working on it - I will re-cut that damn vocal if it kills me 😉

Andy

I wouldn't suggest re-singing it (that's an important dash there!) but maybe revisiting the processing, it feels like the transients are sharp and edgy in spots. You already have great emotion in your vocal . . . it could also be down to the original mic choice - what mic did you use? Some condensers can be brittle and spitty to begin with. Ribbon mics are a bit more pleasant to mix vocals from.

Anyway, the song itself is worth it!

14 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

You already have great emotion in your vocal . . . it could also be down to the original mic choice - what mic did you use? Some condensers can be brittle and spitty to begin with. Ribbon mics are a bit more pleasant to mix vocals from.

Tom, mic is a good old Shure SM58 - it's all I have. I keep meaning to treat myself to a Rode NT2A one of these days but there always seem to be too many competing priorities for my spare $ - ain't it always the way. 🤷‍♂️

I'll dig out the original unprocessed vox and see if I can do a better processing job; alternatively perhaps I should find a new vocalist and just stick to BGVs... 😂😂

Thanks as always for your ears and your time.

12 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Andy, if you didn't change a thing, this would still be a marvelous song and performance.  I haven't had much time to hang around here lately, but I'm glad I caught this song!  Well done!!

Thanks Lynn - appreciate the feedback.

Andy I thought this was a great song.

Great lyrics and harmonies in the right place and also what a great piano sound.
The vocal has a lot of emotion...  have you tired without melodyne/autotune?
Our own vocals always sounds worse in our own heads 🙂

Your voice reminds of an artist Graham Kendrick  from years ago in my teen years.

Well done.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:02 AM, garybrun said:

Andy I thought this was a great song.

Great lyrics and harmonies in the right place and also what a great piano sound.
The vocal has a lot of emotion...  have you tired without melodyne/autotune?
Our own vocals always sounds worse in our own heads 🙂

Your voice reminds of an artist Graham Kendrick  from years ago in my teen years.

Well done.

Thanks @garybrun, well where to start?

I did a lot of work on the lyrics and went through several iterations before I settled on a final version, I really did want to tell a story through the imagery I was trying to paint with the words. The piano chops are not mine, but I did choose the instrumentation.

Your own vocals may sound worse in your head Gary (they always sound sublime to me btw), mine unfortunately also sound worse in the heads of others - of that I am quite convinced - but thank you eternally for the vote of confidence; I shall treasure it always. 

As to Graham Kendrick, I had never heard of him so I trundled over to YouTube to see what I could find. Wow, that's quite a compliment and company I'm very happy to be compared to any day of the week - he has a great voice. 🙂

Thanks again for the comments and for taking the time to listen and feedback.

Andy

• Like 1