problems after changing audio driver mode from ASIO

Hi all,

I have an audio interface and have been using ASIO4All without issue for a while. I made the mistake of changing my driver mode to something other than ASIO to see if I could get the audio output of my project to play on my laptop speakers, instead of  through the headphones connected to my Tascam 16 X 08. I will never try this again, as havoc ensued. Cakewalk crashed,  and my speakers would issue periodic bursts of static, and I had some difficulty opening ASIO4All on my laptop to even look at the settings. (for the record I have an I7 processor with 20 gigs of RAM, so CPU has never been an issue for me).

I eventually restored the audio driver and everything seems to be functioning properly, except for the track in which I was working when I made this change. For some unknown reason, now when I play the EZdrummer2 track, it sounds "distant" and not full, and my Scaler 2 plugin has added some mysterious reverb/echoing that isn't right.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what is causing this, because when I open a different, older project and listen to both plugins, they sound fine. In fact, I copied all the relevant MIDI tracks over to the older project and will use that one, but I really want to understand what adversely affected the sound on that one project.

Any thoughts of where I should look to diagnose the problem?

Thanks,

Kris Friday

The first thing I would do is remove ASIO4ALL from your machine entirely. There's no need for it at all because TASCAM supplies proper ASIO drivers for the 16x08, and you should definitely use those.

ASIO4ALL is a stop-gap "driver" for computers that don't have a proper audio interface connected, and isn't actually an ASIO driver at all - it's just wrapping the native Windows driver into a format that some DAWs can use. Even that is unnecessary to a point in Cakewalk when you use WASAPI mode.

But yes, definitely get rid of ASIO4ALL and use the TASCAM supplied ASIO driver. This should fix the problem.

• Great Idea 1