Sample Logic Animation Station Intro Offer

cclarry

Sample Logic has released Animation Station, a MIDI effect instrument plugin that they describe as "the next step in assisted music creation", with an introductory price of $99.99 (regularly $149.99) until June 29th, 2021.

Here's what they say:

With its intelligent "Step Animator" engine, creating powerful MIDI arpeggiation patterns and step sequences has never been easier.

Play single notes, or chords and let Animation Station take your virtual instruments on a creative ride. Play, edit and even export the MIDI data to use outside of the plugin.

Animation Station is the world's most advanced, and most flexible arpeggiator and so much more... step into the future.

https://www.samplelogic.com/products/animation-station/

This looks really cool, but it lacks a feature that is pretty common with this kind of thing.

It would be nice to be able to save arps and put them into a song.  Copying and pasting and making revisions.

This works more like a drum machine where you have to drag and drop MIDI into your DAW. 

But once you've done that, you lose all the features of Animation Station for live playing, like the keyswitches and modwheel.  I think these features are the best things in Animation Factory.  You can really play these arps.  But only one at a time, which is disappointing. 

If they add that feature, I'll buy it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Explain how that would work.

The MIDI patterns would no longer be in Animation Factory, where they can be changed in real time by the modwheel.   They'd just be MIDI patterns. 

Don't drag the MIDI, just record your performance, including modwheel and keyswitches.

20 hours ago, artturner said:

Don't drag the MIDI, just record your performance, including modwheel and keyswitches.

Yes, of course you can record one pattern this way. 

My point is that you can't play live an ENTIRE song at once, with multiple patterns and variations.   IMO This would be a nice feature and I will ask them about it.

3 hours ago, Fleer said:

Well, I pretty much dig Animation Station. Always liked SampleLogic’s arpeggiators but this time it’s like they’re handing me the keys to their engine (behind Arpology and the like). 

Agreed!  With this we can get out of their box.  And use it with all of our other stuff.

• Like 1

I looked at the demo and I don't get it.  Yes, it's a nice arpeggiator, but I see nothing special about it.   Most DAWs will let you record the MIDI out of a VST, so nothing special there.    You can always record automation into the MIDI after you've recorded it into your DAW.

Perhaps for $19 this might be a consideration, but $99 for the intro price?    That's way too expensive for an arpeggiator.   Cthulhu is $39 and will give you a great arpeggiator as well as one-finger chord playback.   Scaler 2 is $59 and will do live playback of arpeggios (Reid's request) and I am pretty sure you can change them over the course of a song via keyswitches.   And of course Scaler 2 provides so many more features for far less than the cost of Sample Logic's expensive arpeggiator.

There are a lot of arpeggiators out there--including some free ones--as listed in this VIC post  HERE

Phrasebox is currently $29 (50% off)  at Plugin Boutique.

It has the feature I want, which is to be able to save 12 phrases.   But all these programs are different in various was.

I agreed with @Michael A.D.    Phrasebox will be an insta-buy for me when it turns up on APD for peanuts. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

I looked at the demo and I don't get it.  Yes, it's a nice arpeggiator, but I see nothing special about it.   Most DAWs will let you record the MIDI out of a VST, so nothing special there.    You can always record automation into the MIDI after you've recorded it into your DAW.

Perhaps for $19 this might be a consideration, but $99 for the intro price?    That's way too expensive for an arpeggiator.   Cthulhu is $39 and will give you a great arpeggiator as well as one-finger chord playback.   Scaler 2 is $59 and will do live playback of arpeggios (Reid's request) and I am pretty sure you can change them over the course of a song via keyswitches.   And of course Scaler 2 provides so many more features for far less than the cost of Sample Logic's expensive arpeggiator.

Most synths come with their own.  There's midi files that do the same thing.  I have Cthulhu, Scaler, Riffer, and how knows what else and I probably need to use those. For that price despite from an excellent developer it's an easy pass.