Markers in the Piano Roll

Starship Krupa

Question

Scenario: I've just played piano for 5 minutes on my MIDI controller into Cakewalk. I play back what I just did and there's a nasty clinker where my thumb hit the wrong key at one of the chord changes. I hit M to drop a marker at that location for later cleaning, then stop the transport.

I open the Piano Roll and it's centered on notes 4 minutes earlier in the timeline. I of course want to get to the one where I placed the marker, as fast as possible. What do I do?

I can (dis)engage Scroll Lock, which will make Cakewalk to center on the playback cursor and then send the cursor to the marker using the Markers module in Control Bar. Is marker navigation something that I need to go back to the Track View to work with (unless I'm going prev/next with a keystroke)? No way directly from PRV?

Better way to do this? I spend more time than I'd like scrolling up and down and back and forth in PRV trying to find the note(s) I want to edit.

6 answers to this question

What I have done is created keybindings in the Area: Global for Previous Marker and Next Marker.

My Keyboard shortcuts are Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right respectively.  Of course, being in Area: Global, these will work on any screen.

HI:)

The fastest way is with AZController and a Rotor or a Fader like in this video: 

I'm moving Next/Previous Section, Next/Previous Marker and Next/Previous Bar, then some other movements....Next/Previous Clip for example or moving the Selection....

Greetz;)

Bassman.

14 hours ago, Promidi said:

What I have done is created keybindings in the Area: Global for Previous Marker and Next Marker.

My Keyboard shortcuts are Ctrl+Left and Ctrl+Right respectively.  Of course, being in Area: Global, these will work on any screen.

Is that Ctrl + Left/Right arrow keys? Those appear to be assigned to zoom in/out.

36 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Is that Ctrl + Left/Right arrow keys? Those appear to be assigned to zoom in/out.

Yeah, I have reassigned many of my key bindings.  The point is, that marker navigation can be assigned to any key combination.

I would probably use the Markers Module drop down window and select the marker from there. It may put the Now Time line to the left but hitting the zoom controls with one click will center it. Funny this works whether checked or not in the menu.

Edited by sjoens