Track View Horizontal Scroll [Solved]

Bill Phillips

Question

By trial and error I've learned that the CTRL/ALT/SHIFT keys in combination with the mouse scroll wheel can be used to scroll/zoom in track view. But I can't find that documented anywhere in the online or PDF documentation. I've searched both using various search phrases with no luck. Is that documented somewhere?

Also it looks like there aren't any keyboard shortcuts to do those things except for the Enhanced Keyboard Editing using the numeric keyboard. Is that correct? My problem is that horizontal scrolling using the 4/6 keys is intended for scrolling on the clip in the current view rather than scrolling through the track end-to-end.

Looks like not all combinations of the Left/Right arrows and CTRL/ALT/SFT are assigned but scroll functions are not listed in the function table. I believe that I can't assign a keyboard binding to scroll left/right/up/down. Is that right?

Anyone else have any suggestions for keyboard control of scrolling?

I'm using version 2021.04 Build 175 and the PDF documentation version 27.04.00.

Edited by Bill Phillips

6 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Thank you very much. I've been using Cakewalk on and off for a long time and spending more time now and I'm trying to get more proficient and use more keyboard shortcuts. I've spent significant time recently looking at that Keyboard Shortcuts list.

FWIW, neither CTRL + Page Up or  CTRL + Page Down are on that list but they work.  They move the Now Time to the next/previous measure. Also when I go to Keyboard Shortcuts in Preferences, they are shown as unassigned. In fact it seems that a lot of keyboard shortcuts that work show up as unassigned in Preferences Keyboard Shortcuts. Is that correct or am I missing something.

I know I'm repeating myself here but could you give me a yes or no answer. Is there documentation explaining using CTRL/ALT/SHIFT in combination with the mouse wheel for control of scroll/zoom? Here's what I see:

• Scroll Wheel - Scrolls vertically
  • CTRL + Scroll Wheel - Scrolls horizontally
  • ALT + Scroll Wheel - Zooms horizontally
  • SHIFT + Scroll Wheel - Doesn't seem to do anything
  • Adding SHIFT to CTRL or ALT + Scroll Wheel doesn't seem to modify scrolling/zooming
  • There doesn't seem to be a combination that zooms vertically

Yes it's explained here for zooming:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.22.html#1838690

I can't find anything specific in the docs for scrolling - normally the mouse wheel alters the control it's currently hovering over, but if it's over a clip or a blank space in the clips view:

Mouse Wheel = vertical scroll bar.
CTRL + Mouse Wheel  = horizontal scroll bar.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

In the track view,  CTRL + LEFT/RIGHT will zoom horizontally,  CTRL + UP/DOWN will zoom  vertically.

Sorry the first sentence of my question was unclear. Hopefully I've corrected it. It's keyboard control of scrolling that I'm looking for and can't find. Is there documentation explaining using CTRL/ALT/SHIFT in combination with the mouse wheel for control of scroll/zoom? I haven't been able to find it online, on the forum or in the PDF.

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

All the zoom controls are detailed in this chapter: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=Arranging.22.html  (scroll about half way down the page)

I couldn't find the word scroll on this page.

Other than the Enhanced Keyboard Editing functions, are there any other keyboard commands assigned to controlling horizontal scroll? 

Is there any way a user can add keyboard commands to control scrolling? I don't believe so since there are no scroll commands in the function table for keyboard bindings but wanted to be sure.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

All the standard keyboard shortcuts are listed here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=KeyboardShortcuts.html#1306571

The closest thing to scrolling horizontally is CTRL + Page Up / CTRL + Page Down, but this also moves the Now time.

Thank you very much. I've been using Cakewalk on and off for a long time and spending more time now and I'm trying to get more proficient and use more keyboard shortcuts. I've spent significant time recently looking at that Keyboard Shortcuts list.

FWIW, neither CTRL + Page Up or  CTRL + Page Down are on that list but they work.  They move the Now Time to the next/previous measure. Also when I go to Keyboard Shortcuts in Preferences, they are shown as unassigned. In fact it seems that a lot of keyboard shortcuts that work show up as unassigned in Preferences Keyboard Shortcuts. Is that correct or am I missing something.

I know I'm repeating myself here but could you give me a yes or no answer. Is there documentation explaining using CTRL/ALT/SHIFT in combination with the mouse wheel for control of scroll/zoom? Here's what I see:

• Scroll Wheel - Scrolls vertically
  • CTRL + Scroll Wheel - Scrolls horizontally
  • ALT + Scroll Wheel - Zooms horizontally
  • SHIFT + Scroll Wheel - Doesn't seem to do anything
  • Adding SHIFT to CTRL or ALT + Scroll Wheel doesn't seem to modify scrolling/zooming
  • There doesn't seem to be a combination that zooms vertically