Loading old projects with missing instruments

SVSX

Hey guys, i'm new here, but a longtime Sonar/Cakewalk user (since 2008). I hope i use the right category for my question:

I've installed Windows 10 on my PC and while doing it, updated some of my older plugins, like Kontakt, Reaktor and more. Now when i try to load my older unfinished projects, i need to reassign some files and instruments, wich is working so far... But when i used for example Reaktor 5 with "NI The Mouth FX" i cannot reassign anything, because Reaktor 6 gets recognized as a new Plugin. So my old project loads everything besides my Reaktor FX. Same goes for some updated synthesizers like Circle.. My old presets are gone, and now i can guess, what i was exactly using.

Is there a better way of preserving my old projects, or do i really need to search and guess, what sounds/fx i had saved before the updates? Thankfully i've got still my old Win7 HDD hooked up, but its a p.i.t.a. to jump back and forth for comparisons 😆

34 minutes ago, scook said:

AFAIK, the old NI plug-ins run side-by-side with the new ones.

They are different plug-ins.

It will be a lot easier if the old plug-ins are installed along with the new ones.

THX, thats a good idea

I run NI Reaktor 5 and 6 together and old cakewalk projects will open with whatever version I used.  I think one of the  tricks was keeping the same Reaktor 5 file structure.  Ultimately I converted my favorite R5 fx and instruments to R6 and use R6 all the time now  but I'm still not deleting R5.