Is Windows 11 Around the Corner?

abacab

Along  with the TPM 2.0, reports on the tenforums.com and 11 forums both quote Microsoft as an 8th gen Intel CPU is required.

My desktop DAW has TPM 2.0 and I have an i7 8700K CPU  and is Win 11 compatible.  However my 2018 Dell Inspiron 15 5577 only has a 7th gen Intel CPU and is not Win 11 compatible.  Not a big deal as long as Bandlab keeps Cakewalk compatible with Win 10.

1 hour ago, Jack Stoner said:

Along  with the TPM 2.0, reports on the tenforums.com and 11 forums both quote Microsoft as an 8th gen Intel CPU is required.

I have a 7th gen Intel CPU which works fine with my DAW setup, and while it has a TPM header, it will not pass the 8th Gen minimum.   This is really Sad.  Many home studios will not pass the Win11 minimums.

I was going to build a new DAW computer this year, but now I will definitely wait until Motherboards have TPM2.O and are certified as Win11 compatible before I build my next computer.  This means a delay.

I just hope that DAW and vst developers do not require Win11 as their minimum specs when they do their next updates/upgrades.

Edited by Cecelius2

3 hours ago, Cecelius2 said:

I just hope that DAW and vst developers do not require Win11 as their minimum specs when they do their next updates/upgrades.

Microsoft will continue to support at least one Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel until October 14, 2025.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

Developers are not likely to cut off support until Miscrosoft removes the development support for Win 10.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My ASUS Prime Z490-A is TPM 2.0 compatible. I believe @Jim Roseberry had me disable it (but I have not booted to the BIOS to check).

My SSD boot drive was not formatted as GPT (or whatever it's called). 

@Noel Borthwick or @Jim Roseberry So what is the best/safest method to get there? Format a new SSD as GPT and then restore full backup to it or clone it? I happen to have a new spare SSD drive of the same model as my current boot drive.

Edited by Bapu

In Windows 10 v1703 and later, there's a command line application (MBR2GPT.exe) that'll convert the boot drive from MBR to GPT (without losing data).

It's located in the Windows\System32

You can also use a 3rd-party (paid) application called AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional ($50)

Before proceeding, make sure you have proper backup and read up on the necessary steps.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

In Windows 10 v1703 and later, there's a command line application (MBR2GPT.exe) that'll convert the boot drive from MBR to GPT (without losing data).

It's located in the Windows\System32

You can also use a 3rd-party (paid) application called AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional ($50)

Before proceeding, make sure you have proper backup and read up on the necessary steps.

I have used AOMEI and it works perfectly. No data loss at all. 

MBR2GPT will however erase your disk data.

J

13 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Windows 10: convert system disk to GPT via MBR2GPT.exe

Since Windows 10 Creator’s Update v1703, there is MBR2GPT.exe program embedded with. This program locates in Win\System32 directory and has to be run in Command Prompt. MBR2GPT is designed to convert system disk instead of data disk on Windows 10 v1703 or later, without modifying or deleting data on the disk. So, you can refer to steps below to convert MBR system disk to GPT without losing data.

Tip: You need to change legacy to UEFI in BIOS after converting. So, make sure your computer’s motherboard supports UEFI mode.

Simple as it is, sometimes you may find it fails you. Here are detailed reasons:

It only works in Windows 10 v1703 and later. What if you run Windows 10 previous version or another Windows OS like Windows 7 or 8?

It converts only system disk and does not have magic on data disks.

It works through command prompt which may not be easy-to-use for common users.

Edited by abacab