Pro Tools and autostereograms

This is something crazy I noticed a while ago and I have never seen anybody comment on it

An autostereogram is a two-dimensional image designed to create the visual illusion of a three-dimensional scene when you overcome the coordination between focus and horizontal angle of your eyes

You may have seen them in bookstores or elsewhere, typically called "magic eye", pictures that become 3D when you relax your eye focus and get a little cross-eyed, e.g. the "fish and shark" in this image

8a00942ce09582d244048cfc4f300ee8.jpg

Here is the crazy thing - When I'm looking at the mixer window in Pro Tools and I relax my eye focus (maybe I've been staring at that screen for too long...) I see the same effect, all of a sudden the image acquires "depth" and the mixer surface starts "floating behind the screen level". This happens to the areas that are mostly grey, with slots and knobs, it doesn't happen to the bright green bars in the meters

It may have something to do with the color scheme so I did a screen capture (and confirmed on a different machine that the effect is still visible). You can try it by watching the picture at

pro tools 3d effect.png

(probably easier if watching full screen)

On 6/13/2021 at 7:54 PM, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

see the same effect, all of a sudden the image acquires "depth" and the mixer surface starts "floating behind the screen level". This happens to the areas that are mostly grey, with slots and knobs, it doesn't happen to the bright green bars in the meters

Are you eyes very close to the screen as that's always been the easy way to see all the magic eye things for me ? I see the effect you mention here if I do the same on your image. Everything but the green meter bars goes backward.

• Like 1