soundcard driver updated
??

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

Edited by jonathan boose

Cracks and pops can happen for many reasons.  Do you have anit-virus software running?  Have you tried to run the program "latencyMon" from resplendent software to see if there are interrupts or other system devices that are causing long delays?  I had a NVidia video card that I had to get rid of because it and its driver were causing issues.

I would start with Latency Mon and see what it tells you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gustabo said:

What is your project drive speed? You are using a separate drive for projects and not your os/boot drive, right?

Yes, I'm using a separate drive for projects. I think it's a fixed speed and it has been working up until now, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

1 hour ago, Gswitz said:

You can download latency monitor tho find out what problems you have.

As I mentioned before, "I would, but the directions say to hit the "start" button but I don't see one."

This is how it shows up.

start.jpg

Edited by jonathan boose

Turn of your internet. I had to do this last night. Normally it never causes problems but out of the blue I was getting a drop out on a project that I just started. I upped my buffers a bit and it still happened. It happened about 5 times and I then disabled the internet and it never came back. 

• Great Idea 1

* Have you tried disconnecting all of your audio inputs to make sure it's not coming from there ? Record a blank signal to see what happens.

* I have a few soft synths that make noise with too many notes playing or if a passage is too busy.

* Some soft synth sounds require more firepower than others

* If you are using soft synths try freezing them all to see if it helps. Try it one by one to see if one causes more trouble than others.

* It is a process of elimination. Track down every possibility.

* If you have a second audio in device try it instead.

* Try a song with all audio, try another with all soft synth.

* The TTS synth has always been reliable for me. Try that alone.

Good Luck.

Edited by rfssongs
  • Great Idea 1

Funny you should mention that, Craig.

I just updated my BIOS and revisited the project. To my dismay, it was still clicking. 

All the tracks are frozen w/ fx but the busses can't be frozen. I've got (in this case, all Waves) one instance each of SSL bus limiter; Kramer Tape; Abbey Road Chambers; Abbey Road Plates; Torque Stereo; Scheps Omni Channel; and (2) AR TG Mastering. I clicked on 'Torque' and got the blank white box. Tried Scheps and AR TG and got the same. Then I clicked on the SSL limiter and the plugin showed up. So did Kramer Tape. Then I checked again and they all showed up.

Then I played the song and there were no clicks.

I'll check later to see if I can run a couple of heavy duty soft synths and see if I can lower the buffer rate to the point where I can record without too much of a lag to use the input echo.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

You should not use input echo to record audio tracks unless your using guitar sims. Use your audio interfaces direct monitoring system. 

I've heard where you can actually have issues if you use a super high buffer setting. Most folks use around 256. But I think a Lynx is one of the better performers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

You should not use input echo to record audio tracks unless your using guitar sims. Use your audio interfaces direct monitoring system. 

I've heard where you can actually have issues if you use a super high buffer setting. Most folks use around 256. But I think a Lynx is one of the better performers. 

I haven't used 256 in a while. I'll see what I can get away with.

Perfect... now go to the drivers tab, sort descending as I do in my video and tell us which drivers are taking the longest to respond and what the latency is. Then we can advise you what the problem is.

Sometimes the drivers aren't obvious, but they often are.

The other thing you can do is monitor your system while Latency Monitor is running. What happens when it turns red? A move of your mouse (I had that problem once and had to switch the driver I used with the mouse) or some other thing that happens concurrently?

Post the image of the drivers tab so we can see.

We need to see the  highest execution time in milliseconds. 

In my video you see dxgkrnl.sys and usbport.sys are the slowest at 0.35 and 0.28 milliseconds respectively.

From reading the image, it looks like disabling your network card would be the first thing I'd try. Then re-run LatencyMon and see where you stand.

Edited by Gswitz

• jonathan boose changed the title to Clicks and Pops -- The Final Frontier