😭Audio Snap😭

Will.

Can we fix Audio Snap? What's the purpose of working with Transient Makers? To move the information rather than stretching it right? So why is cakewalk stretching the note instead of moving it leaving you ending up with broken information. 

The besst work around is the old cut and nudge feature to avoid those robotic and glitches you end up with. Its almost like it slows the note down into low bit information.  Audio Snap and Time stretch should not be one feature. 😭 

Cakewalk forces one to record drums or guitars (sometimes guitars) in a different DAW. 😭 

Luckily FL Studio is fully functional in trial mode except "SAVING" the project, but we're not suppose to run to another DAW for a simple task as this. 

• Like 1

does Groove Clip exhibit the same transient locating issue for you? i almost never bother with the audio stretch and just cut things up (usually by measures and some tempo tweaks) and groove clip them. then once assembled as desired, bounce as a clip. very seldom having to move individual notes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

does Groove Clip exhibit the same transient locating issue for you? i almost never bother with the audio stretch and just cut things up (usually by measures and some tempo tweaks) and groove clip them. then once assembled as desired, bounce as a clip. very seldom having to move individual notes. 

I do the exact workflow. 

But what's the use having a tool that is broken with advance features we can't use? Cut and nudging the information in time doesn't always work that great, cause now we have to do fades in and dout which also adds to the problem sometimes - like ending the tail to quickly on short notes. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

yeah but if you're getting material from someone else and have to tweak it, you can't always go back and ask them to re-perform 

If that's the case I simply wouldn't work with those people.  Audiosnap is a poor substitute for musicians who can actually play in time , it's also fairly defunct if you have Melodyne 4 or above.   

• Like 1

Agreed, transient detection definitely needs improving. Tab to transient is guilty for chopping off the beginning of hits all over the place, so you normally need to zoom in and check which can be pretty time consuming. Quantizing drums is a necessity in some cases. 

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Light Grenade said:

Agreed, transient detection definitely needs improving. Tab to transient is guilty for chopping off the beginning of hits all over the place, so you normally need to zoom in and check which can be pretty time consuming. Quantizing drums is a necessity in some cases. 

Agree 100% with you. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

@Will_Kaydo, I don't use Audio Snap very much.  Do you mind describing what you find wrong with Audio Snap? I saw you agreed with @Light Grenade description but I don't know if you have more issues to describe or if Light Grenade's description details all the issues you know about.

I just wanted to weigh in here.  I have hated audio snap since it was first implemented.  It has never worked correctly for me and the interface is abysmal.  These are just my opinions, perhaps the fault is mine for not working harder at it - but you shouldn't have to.  From the buttons you cannot tell whether they are on or not, to the poorly named functions, to the substandard results you get.  Perhaps it is partly my fault for not spending hundreds of hours with it, but as far as I am concerned it is much easier to just try to play things right or close to right from the beginning, and then make the small corrections in other ways. (This screed is based on how audio snap was up to 2020.  I haven't used it since.  It drives me totally out of my mind and I won't suffer with it any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

@Will_Kaydo, I don't use Audio Snap very much.  Do you mind describing what you find wrong with Audio Snap? I saw you agreed with @Light Grenade description but I don't know if you have more issues to describe or if Light Grenade's description details all the issues you know

Did you read the original post? It has been broken for years in cakewalk. Cakewalk is problem the only DAW where this doesn't work correctly or not as advanced as other DAWs. Hack even Audacity's Audio Snap and stretch mode works better. 

minor tweaks in cakewalk and It sounds robotic and stretched out. 

You can be the best guitarist or drummer, there's always transients you want to tighten more, to have things sound more tighter. This is especially important with a live performance project on client requests.  

A good example for you to understand what im saying is - would be to use a vocal piece and move it's transient to hear what we're talking about here. This goes for hats, snares too. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Thanks 1

Yes I read your original post.  I can not tell from your description what's broke.  That's why I asked you to clarify.  This:

Can we fix Audio Snap? What's the purpose of working with Transient Makers? To move the information rather than stretching it right? So why is cakewalk stretching the note instead of moving it leaving you ending up with broken information. 

doesn't tell me what is broken.  Questions don't tell me what's broken.

The besst work around is the old cut and nudge feature to avoid those robotic and glitches you end up with. Its almost like it slows the note down into low bit information.  Audio Snap and Time stretch should not be one feature. 😭 

This doesn't tell me what's broken.  Why shouldn't Audio Snap and Time Stretch be one feature?  How is separating the two feature make them better?

Cakewalk forces one to record drums or guitars (sometimes guitars) in a different DAW. 😭 

Luckily FL Studio is fully functional in trial mode except "SAVING" the project, but we're not suppose to run to another DAW for a simple task as this.

Still can't tell what's broken but it works in FL Studio.

What does Audio Snap not do that you expect it to do?  How is the Audio Snap feature broken?  What should be changed to improve the feature?

I'm not trying to be mean.  I'm trying to understand.

Edited by Jim Fogle

1 hour ago, steve@baselines.com said:

I just wanted to weigh in here.  I have hated audio snap since it was first implemented.  It has never worked correctly for me and the interface is abysmal.  These are just my opinions, perhaps the fault is mine for not working harder at it - but you shouldn't have to.  From the buttons you cannot tell whether they are on or not, to the poorly named functions, to the substandard results you get.  Perhaps it is partly my fault for not spending hundreds of hours with it, but as far as I am concerned it is much easier to just try to play things right or close to right from the beginning, and then make the small corrections in other ways. (This screed is based on how audio snap was up to 2020.  I haven't used it since.  It drives me totally out of my mind and I won't suffer with it any more.

Only in Cakewalk, yes. I have had the privilege to work with it in various other daws - and it works as expected and perfectly in them. Reaper? OMG! Smooth! Best one by far is FL. Obviously PT too. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

6 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

Yes I read your original post.  I can not tell from your description what's broke.  That's why I asked you to clarify.  This:

doesn't tell me what is broken.  Questions don't tell me what's broken.

This doesn't tell me what's broken.  Why shouldn't Audio Snap and Time Stretch be one feature?  How is separating the two feature make them better?

Still can't tell what's broken but it works in FL Studio.

What does Auto Snap not do that you expect it to do?  How is the Auto Snap feature broken?  What should be changed to improve the feature?

I'm not trying to be mean.  I'm trying to understand.

Dude. When someone say's something is broken - that means its broken. It does not work. What else is there in it? 

It doesn't retain its information as it suppose too. The original post explains it clear enough. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

40 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

You can be the best guitarist or drummer, there's always transients you want to tighten more, to have things sound more tighter.

Sounds like you're removing all the human vibe from the music along with the 11 band EQ on the piano.  On paper your mixes sound lifeless.

Just because you can , doesn't mean you should.