Making Roll-Back of Old Version before Updating

Sam Stalos

I would like to test the changes to tempo mapping features contained in the new 2021.04 Build 27.04.0.3175 version before updating from my current Win 10 version, 2021.01 Build 098, 64 bit. My primary use of Cakewalk involves the manipulation of tempo maps.

In a previous post, user Stefan Gorej asked about setting up a “roll-back” copy of the current version before downloading and installing the new 2021.04 version. Noel responded with a link to the current release notes on this new version.

@Štefan Gorej ... You can roll back by following the instructions in the current release notes.

When I followed Brothwick’s link, it seemed to suggest that the roll-back procedure to a version  not involving BandLab Assistant could be made by simply logging in under a new name (basically establishing another account), and then downloading the latest 2021.04 version, which does not involve using BandLab Assistant. That would be fine.

I just want make sure I understand this correctly. When the new 2021.04 version is installed, the older version would be left intact, and one would then have two versions of Cakewalk on the computer.

If this is correct, should I save my older projects to the .cwb format and import those .cwb files into the new version, or would that be unnecessary?

Please verify.

I am not sure what a "roll-back" copy of the current version means.

For some time now, a rollback installer has been provided in the release announcements. For example, see the announcement for 2021.04

The way it works is after updating to the current version, if a problem is encountered or the user just wishes to return to the previous version of the software, they run the rollback installer. The update and the rollback all happen to the same installed instance of CbB. 

I am unware of any method involving multiple logins and would like to see links to the relevant posts.

AFAIK, there is no way to have more than one completely operational version of the DAW installed at a time.

On 6/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, scook said:

AFAIK, there is no way to have more than one completely operational version of the DAW installed at a time.

This has to be so, because I assume by that, changes can occur to folders other than "Cakewalk Core" but FWIW I keep all versions of the "Core" backed up and I was able to run "Cakewalk.exe - 2021.01 bld 098 (Update 1)"  from a renamed "Core" folder,  and this version has the prior tempo features operable, maybe that's all  Sam Stalos requires?

This time running a prior version to the latest currently installed, I saw that there was no notice that a newer version was available, and following that on a startup of the current CbB there was a refreshing activation notice?

Edited by Tez

26 minutes ago, Tez said:

This has to be so, because I assume by that, changes can occur to folders other than "Cakewalk Core" but FWIW I keep all versions of the "Core" backed up and I was able to run "Cakewalk.exe - 2021.01 bld 098 (Update 1)"  from a renamed "Core" folder,  and this version has the prior tempo features operable, maybe that's all  Sam Stalos requires?

Copying the program folder alone is not adequate.

Starting with CbB 2019-09 running an old version CbB from a copied folder after applying an update will likely crash when trying to use automation.

I believe 2021-01 may be the last version to run when the program and all the supporting dlls are not in sync.

Now, there is a check in place to prevent the program from running if it detects this condition.

4 hours ago, scook said:

Now, there is a check in place to prevent the program from running if it detects this condition.

That's good to know, thank you, and I assume for automation you're referring to CW130Auto.dll, and of the 4 dlls that have gotten updated this release, that CW130auto is the pertinent dll as I think Splat also uses 3 of the updated dlls plus CW120Auto.dll.  The others in shared utilities appear to be no later than 2019.  So, going forward keeping a copy of the current CW130auto  along with the "Cakewalk Core" might be an idea if desperate to run a prior version of CbB, unless the compatibility check some how prevents it? 

I have discussed this at length in my tools thread.

For most users. the best way to rollback is run the rollback installers provided by BandLab. 

Given the dll sync issue has been around for several years, it might be a good idea to dump the manual process and stick with the rollback installers.

For testing, I wrote a tool to handle multiple installed instances of CbB. If you really want to swap back and forth, Launchpad does it. The tool does a pretty good job of protecting the user from breaking the software.  This it the kind of thing that requires monitoring software changes pretty closely. 

Prior to the rollback installers, I would suggest Launchpad for keeping track of multiple versions. Now that BandLab provides a supported process, the feature is not worth the risk.

Still, Launchpad does provide a convenient way to edit the CbB most recently used project list and created supplemental lists of projects so, the tool is still available.

10 hours ago, scook said:

Launchpad

Thanks again, I am aware of Launchpad, and appreciate your generosity in providing useful tools, it was the compatibility check that was a news update that I'm glad to know, and in general I've never rolled back, my interest is a comparison between current and previous for some feature at best, if at all 😊