Going Higher

Douglas Kirby

• 2 weeks later...

Infectious vibe on this, super melody and you and your bgv's are delivering the goods as usual. 

The mix really needs work in some low eq spots, to be honest, the strummed acoustic guitar and snare are both pretty weighty, thick, and heavy down below 500hz. You'd brighten the whole thing up by doing some selective cuts down there to those two.

Superior songwriting, your tunes just hit me right. Kind of like The Samples in the groove quality. You know, the band The Samples, not just . . . samples.

cheers,

-Tom

Edited by PhonoBrainer
  • Like 1

How many more Westerly Sessions are you planning, Doug? Your output of music is amazing.
The vocal here seems different than what I'm used to hearing, maybe your voice "going higher."
Whatever, I like the change. And as usual your musicianship shines here again.
-Bjorn

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Infectious vibe on this, super melody and you and your bgv's are delivering the goods as usual. 

The mix really needs work in some low eq spots, to be honest, the strummed acoustic guitar and snare are both pretty weighty, thick, and heavy down below 500hz. You'd brighten the whole thing up by doing some selective cuts down there to those two.

Superior songwriting, your tunes just hit me right. Kind of like The Samples in the groove quality. You know, the band The Samples, not just . . . samples.

cheers,

-Tom

Hi Tom  - thanks for listening and for your comments.  I think I agree with you about the snare and acoustic guitar - so I'll do another remix with your suggestions in mind. I did have some eq cuts on both, but perhaps not enough. I'll see what I can do - thanks.

6 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

How many more Westerly Sessions are you planning, Doug? Your output of music is amazing.
The vocal here seems different than what I'm used to hearing, maybe your voice "going higher."
Whatever, I like the change. And as usual your musicianship shines here again.
-Bjorn

Bjorn - I'm planning on ten volumes of the Westerly Sessions - each volume is 20 songs. Not sure when I will finish, but hopefully I'll get it done by the end of this year. It's been a wild ride working on it - gives me plenty of opportunity to improve my mixing skills.

Thanks for listening.

22 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

I'm picturing gogo girls in coolots , very danceable. :D:D Cymbals red lined 2:20-2:30.  Really great tune, Douglas.

David - I could use a couple of go-go girls for a video of the song😄 I'm going to do another remix to turn down that crash a bit - thanks for letting me know.

On 7/4/2021 at 10:04 AM, DeeringAmps said:

👍's Doug! Always enjoy me some Kirby...

Have I asked this before? just got back from Nampa, ID; the pic on SC looks a lot like downtown...

t

liked Drifter a lot too!

Thanks for listening Tom - regarding the pic, probably a lot of downtowns across the US look similar.  Also, thanks for listening to Drifter.

• Like 1