Apple Mac Mini M1

cclarry

30 minutes ago, abacab said:

I've heard someone online complain what a bunch of mean girls hang out here

There are no mean girls here!!

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

There's no way paging the VM Swap-file (on M.2 NVMe SSD) in lieu of enough physical RAM comes at zero performance penalty.

Unless Apple has re-written the laws of physics,

Should have been end of discussion when JIm pointed this out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

This is borderline silly...

I got the 16GB model to test... because I know the 8GB version would be limited (by comparison).

Hmmm... why would Apple offer a 16GB version of the M1 Mini... if the 8GB version offered identical performance/capability???

The reason is obvious...

I've built audio/video specific machines professionally for nearly 30 years.

There's no way paging the VM Swap-file (on M.2 NVMe SSD) in lieu of enough physical RAM comes at zero performance penalty.

Unless Apple has re-written the laws of physics, it's not possible.

Clearly, the onboard SSD is not performing at ground-breaking speed.

What would be different if I tested the 8GB version?

The difference is that it would start hitting the VM Swap-file sooner.  

In either case, I'd push the M1 Mac Mini to use more than the installed amount of RAM (causing either to page the VM Swap-file - which makes it a moot point).

Currently loading large sample libraries onto an external M.2 SSD (attached to the M1 Mac Mini).

Detailed performance examples to follow...

I agree it’s silly.  And also dishonest of you to keep insisting I said something I did not.  In case there was a misunderstanding, I further explained that I don’t believe that sd is a substitute for ram. I never said or meant that. You are making up and countering a point I did not make.  My point continues to be that you said an 8gb machine would only be good for surfing the web or office.  This is simply not true. Provable. Amazingly  , an 8gb is close to the 16gb. performance, from what I’ve seen. As I’ve kept pointing out, many videos and reviews prove this. That proof is not good enough for some of you. Ok. That’s fine. It’s good to have more tests and more info added to the pot. But now you say there is no point in testing an 8gb machine. What a cop out. 

• Meh 1

2 hours ago, Grem said:

There are no mean girls here!!

Should have been end of discussion when JIm pointed this out.

I disagree.  Too bad these mean girls aren’t as hot.  And yes that would be checkmate. But I’m not arguing that point. So it’s really a long post that doesn’t address my argument at all. And that is, everybody say it with me….an 8 gb machine can do way way more than what Jim is making it out to be. His statement was misleading and not true. Come on. He and some of you guys know his statement is absurd. Of course an 8gb M1 can do way more than surf the bet and office programs. You guys are being dishonest 

• Meh 1

To anyone following this…I’m not interested in being a pariah or whatever.  I’m a tech fan and music maker, like most of you.  I made claims about an 8gb m1.  Those claims seem unbelievable and absurd.  I would have agreed, except I tried it myself and was amazed.  I bought the 8gb model because I didn’t want to pay the Apple tax on ram and wanted to see how it could handle what I would use it for.  I was amazed.  And I’ve been building computers for over 20 years, so I’m no novice.  So,  since the detractors and doubters are unwilling to test an 8gb themselves, or believe the other reviews and videos,  I’ll go get an 8gb air and post my test results. I’ll happily run through any scenario you guys want, as long as I have that plug in.  I think most of us have kontakt.   I’m  Not interested in the personal put downs and such, though I do love a good joke.  But this is something that is of interest to many.  And I think it’s a fascinating question.  Can an 8 gb machine really do full blown productions? It’s counter to all we’ve known so far, but the answer is yes.  But, since you all don’t know this first hand,  I will provide the proof.  Not for vindication.  I really am not that petty.  But just to help answer a very interesting question as it relates to musicians who use computers for music.  Give me a week or so.  

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

I really am not that petty

Might want to ask your wife about this one!! :)

(You gave me another one!!)

Hugh, Based on my experience with my old Surface Pro 3 with only 8gb, I never doubted your claims about being amazed at what an 8gb mini could do.

It is just some of the claims you made were.. out there. Like AMD and Intel getting left in stone age. Suggesting Apple was doing something new with the page file system that made it possible for the m1 to do what others can't (beat the laws of physics?!!).

I will even go so far as to say that if those comment were your attempts at humor, I didn't get it. And I extend my hand in friendship.  No hard feelings.

But to go out and get a M1 Mini to post test scores and prove a point (because that's what it looks like), borders on petty, and can be construed as vindictive. 

The one or two people that are thinking about getting a Mini, has their mind made up already. I bet they go with 16gb after reading this thread.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Grem said:

Hugh, Based on my experience with my old Surface Pro 3 with only 8gb, I never doubted your claims about being amazed at what an 8gb mini could do.

It is just some of the claims you made were.. out there. Like AMD and Intel getting left in stone age. Suggesting Apple was doing something new with the page file system that made it possible for the m1 to do what others can't (beat the laws of physics?!!).

I will even go so far as to say that if those comment were your attempts at humor, I didn't get it. And I extend my hand in friendship.  No hard feelings.

But to go out and get a M1 Mini to post test scores and prove a point (because that's what it looks like), borders on petty, and can be construed as vindictive. 

The one or two people that are thinking about getting a Mini, has their mind made up already. I bet they go with 16gb after reading this thread.

Thank you for that.  It’s very generous of you, especially considering how snarky I was in return. After the beating I’ve been getting, my @$$ hurts, lol.  I admit my tone earned some of that.   And yes, it was some attempts at humor. No real offense to anyone intended.  My  jokes…ehh..maybe I’ll stick to music….  I don’t want to be petty or vindictive.  I actually am curious for myself.  I recently got bfd during the promo  (awesome deal,  and why I come here.  CC is the king), and I’m wondering if an air cooled laptop could stream that,in a live setting.      I wonder if the air cooled laptop would over heat and throttle the cpu during the course of a gig.  to the point of being unusable.  Im curious and I’m sure others would be too.  Not just here.  I’ll post it on YouTube.  And i also want to answer some questions that are very specific  to in the box producers .  I think many would be interested in knowing this.   Plus I’ve been talking up these 8gb  go machines so damn much, that I may have convinced myself I really don’t need to wait till November to get the new ones, lol.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

that I may have convinced myself I really don’t need to wait till November to get the new ones,

They are pretty cheap now. $699 for 8gb and $899 for the 16gb (both with 256gb hd)

55 minutes ago, Grem said:

I am with Grem on this too. The content was fine. It was the presentation that was off putting. Had you posted links to reliable, reputable  reviews and evaluations rather than make us go hunting and sifting through dozens of YouTube videos to find those golden nuggets, you might have been taken more seriously. I had done that before you posted your comment on my search abilities and did not find the overwhelming evidence you were seeing. True, my search parameters were actually M1 verses AMD/Intel performance because of your assertion that AMD/Intel were in the stone age, or if not the stone age, then two or three years behind. To be honest, I was never really that interested in the 8GB/16GB question. I would never buy an 8 GB machine, period. My search told me that the M1 was a great processor especially in the power/performance ratio. But it also showed me that there was a lot of hype and controversy and I just was not ready to swallow the blue pill of the red pill yet.

BTW, tacking lol onto something does not automatically turn something into a joke, especially if you have pissed people off already. Also being able to joke about someone  especially in this community requires that you have already established a relationship with them, and so you know they are not going to take you seriously.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grem said:

They are pretty cheap now. $699 for 8gb and $899 for the 16gb (both with 256gb hd)

I built a 9900K for less than that. No soldering required. I just can't find myself entering the Apple monopoly no matter how great they are.  I guess they learned their lesson by not allowing a user to make their own upgrades.  Some of those cheese grater Macs are still in use.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I am with Grem on this too. The content was fine. It was the presentation that was off putting. Had you posted links to reliable, reputable  reviews and evaluations rather than make us go hunting and sifting through dozens of YouTube videos to find those golden nuggets, you might have been taken more seriously. I had done that before you posted your comment on my search abilities and did not find the overwhelming evidence you were seeing. True, my search parameters were actually M1 verses AMD/Intel performance because of your assertion that AMD/Intel were in the stone age, or if not the stone age, then two or three years behind. To be honest, I was never really that interested in the 8GB/16GB question. I would never buy an 8 GB machine, period. My search told me that the M1 was a great processor especially in the power/performance ratio. But it also showed me that there was a lot of hype and controversy and I just was not ready to swallow the blue pill of the red pill yet.

BTW, tacking lol onto something does not automatically turn something into a joke, especially if you have pissed people off already. Also being able to joke about someone  especially in this community requires that you have already established a relationship with them, and so you know they are not going to take you seriously.

I think most of us in this thread are here for the drama kinda like Vi-control.

• Haha 2