Apple Mac Mini M1

cclarry

6 hours ago, Hugh Mann said:

Sorry, I no longer have an m1. Returned it. Waiting for the new versions. And I also don’t have that software.  I don’t remember the specifics of my testing, but I have kontakt and diva and a bunch of other plug ins. I purposely tested the ram by loading line 20 kontakt instances. Strings, horns, guitars, piano, vocals,battery,session drummer…all ran fine. This was on top of  over a hundred tracks. diva, and a bunch of other plug ins. Also threw a bunch of fx on each track.  Oh and it was 96khz,64 buffer. Uad interface. All silent and barely warm. I finally got it to crack when I also had a video editing program open and a few safari tabs.  It is an impressive machine. Leaves intel and amd in the Stone Age. 

Colour me skeptical, but I find it hard to believe you were able to do all this on an 8 GB M1. 20 Kontakt instances on top of over 100 tracks? Pictures or it didn't happen. When Fleer gets his M1, he will be able to confirm your findings. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

18 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Some of use mean middle school girls on this forum use desktops that we've built.  I've built a 9900K system for the M1 price and no soldering required.  I do think it's great that Apple went full blown proprietary.   Too bad they are still pricey.

Well, pricey is relative.  To me, with the M1, they are a bargain.  Other than the ram and hd, of course. But you get a beautiful screen, excellent build  and top of the line components.    I actually used to agree that macs where at overpriced and underpowered.  I’ve always built my own or bought pc  laptops. I have many.  I’ve actually been building computers since 2000. 

9 hours ago, Hugh Mann said:

This is incorrect with an m1. You really should test one yourself before you go spreading false information.  M1 can easily handle the grandure and way more.  

I'm not spreading any misinformation whatsoever.

You might want to look closer at the picture in my above post.

That is from a M1 mini that has 16GB RAM.

Bottom line is that you're not going to be doing anything serious with 8GB RAM.

The OS and one standalone Kontakt instance with The Grandeur and you're already above 8GB of RAM used.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Colour me skeptical, but I find it hard to believe you were able to do all this on an 8 GB M1. 20 Kontakt instances on top of over 100 tracks? Pictures or it didn't happen. When Fleer gets his M1, he will be able to confirm your findings. 

I do not blame you for being skeptical.  It’s amazing and impressive results.  I didn’t document my results because I didn’t know that seven months later I’d be attacked,  lol. But there are many, many videos and reviews out there that confirm what I’ve been saying. Myself, I will get a 16 gb machine. Just for future proofing and I may want to get into video.  But I would have been more than fine with 8gb for all that I do or could foreseeably be wanting to do in the near future. 

14 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

I'm not spreading any misinformation whatsoever.

You might want to look closer at the picture in my above post.

That is from a M1 mini that has 16GB RAM.

Bottom line is that you're not going to be doing anything serious with 8GB RAM.

The OS and one standalone Kontakt instance with The Grandeur and you're already above 8GB of RAM used.

You are assuming that 8gb isn’t enough. Till you try it, and I have, you won’t really know.  And the misinformation part is saying that an 8gb m1 won’t be able to load more than or just one instance of grandeur. It certainly will and much more.  They disk swap like crazy.  During my testing, I never went over 7gb. It was odd, but,again,a different architecture 

Edited by Hugh Mann

32 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

I am right

Seems your on a quest to prove it. That's another story.....

33 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

I corrected these claims.

Nope. You never really understood the claims. May want to re-read his posts. : )

7 minutes ago, Grem said:

Seems your on a quest to prove it. That's another story.....

Nope. You never really understood the claims. May want to re-read his posts. : )

You don’t have an m1 or have ever tested one, correct?  So then what are you really contributing, other than attacking me? I have first hand experience.  Try it and then come back and be as mean girls as you want. But you know, in that movie,  the mean girls didn’t win, lol. 

2 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Huge Man and the Mean Girls ;)

Love this movie. 
Anyway, it’s a disk swap thing indeed. 
Which is why I’m getting a 16GB M1. 
Don’t want my SSD to die on me in a week. 

I think I’m the weirdo, gothic-ey one,  in this scenario. but she has the heart of gold, lol. The issue of disk swapping has come up over this.  In some  forum, review , or video, someone calculated that it would take ten years for them to die.  Unknown for now, of course,  but I wouldn’t worry about that.  And the 16gb machine swaps just as much.  Maybe a few hairs less, from what I’ve read. No first hand experience with a 16gb one. 

11 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

You don’t have an m1 or have ever tested one, correct?

I have already stated:

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I read the posts of a reputable man stating facts. May want to read Jim's posts again, as I suggested to you before.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

attacking me?

Not attacking. Just calling BS when I see it. If you can't handle that I suggest you use the function of this forum that allows you to hide posts from people you don't want to see.

• Like 1

Just now, Grem said:

I have already stated:

Not attacking. Just calling BS when I see it. If you can't handle that I suggest you use the function of this forum that allows you to hide posts from people you don't want to see.

I don’t need to block people.  That is soooo mean girls lol. How do you know it’s  bs unless you have first hand experience? Also, I’m not the only one saying this. Seems kind of trolling. And mean. :D

28 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

And the 16gb machine swaps just as much.  Maybe a few hairs less, from what I’ve read. No first hand experience with a 16gb one. 

Heard quite the opposite. 
Anyway, apparently OS 11.4 did away with the heavy swapping, at least on 16GB of RAM. 

3 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Heard quite the opposite. 
Anyway, apparently OS 11.4 did away with the heavy swapping, at least on 16GB of RAM. 

Good to know. Thanks for updating my info I’m really excited for the next version.  If the one I had did that much, the next one will be even better. We are in great times, computer wise,  at least.  

1 hour ago, Hugh Mann said:

I do not blame you for being skeptical.  It’s amazing and impressive results.  I didn’t document my results because I didn’t know that seven months later I’d be attacked,  lol. But there are many, many videos and reviews out there that confirm what I’ve been saying. Myself, I will get a 16 gb machine. Just for future proofing and I may want to get into video.  But I would have been more than fine with 8gb for all that I do or could foreseeably be wanting to do in the near future. 

Well, I am trying to find those many many videos and reviews you keep talking about. Maybe my Google is broken. The power/performance ratio is impressive, but from what I've read the M1 more on par with Intel/AMD and is actually worse when Rosetta is factored in. It certainly does not make Intel/AMD processors appear stone age. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Well, I am trying to find those many many videos and reviews you keep talking about. Maybe my Google is broken. The power/performance ratio is impressive, but from what I've read the M1 more on par with Intel/AMD and is actually worse when Rosetta is factored in. It certainly does not make Intel/AMD processors appear stone age. 

If you can’t figure out how to search, you have issues I can’t begin to address.  Since you are so incapable, lol, here is a good one.  Or go to YouTube and put m1 Mac 8gb daw. I just found dozens. https://youtu.be/43pqKIEFhFM 

Ableton performed way better under Rosetta.  Lots of other programs are actually running better under Rosetta. So really, it depends.  The part that makes me feel m1 is so much better than intel and amd is that it can do all this without getting hot or needing cooling. Intel and amd may have power too, but for sure they will be super hot and need lots of cooling.  This makes an m1 more advanced.  Since you don’t like the Stone Age comparison,lol, I’ll put it another way.  They are ahead of and and intel by at least two-three years.   It happens. Happened with power  pc vs x86.  And it’s happening now.  I don’t get why that bothers some of f you do much. 

Edited by Hugh Mann

9 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

If you can’t figure out how to search, you have issues I can’t begin to address.  Since you are so incapable, lol, here is a good one.  Or go to YouTube and put m1 Mac 8gb daw. I just found dozens. https://youtu.be/43pqKIEFhFM 

You are funny, I know how to search just fine thank you. I think maybe my Google is still broken, because using the search parameters you gave me, I found only three videos that actually addressed the 8gb issue, not the dozens you claim to have found. Two of the three videos I found concluded that you should go for 16 GB (even the one you linked to), even though 8GB will run okay for run of the mill projects. 

You must really like abuse to antagonize people the way you do.

9 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

You are funny, I know how to search just fine thank you. I think maybe my Google is still broken, because using the search parameters you gave me, I found only three videos that actually addressed the 8gb issue, not the dozens you claim to have found. Two of the three videos I found concluded that you should go for 16 GB (even the one you linked to), even though 8GB will run okay for run of the mill projects. 

You must really like abuse to antagonize people the way you do.

I don’t like being bullied  by you guys.  You guys are antagonizing  me for stating facts I have first hand experience with.  The crux, lol, is whether one can load grander on an 8gb machine.  I’m the only one here, it seems, who has actually used one of these machines. Not even the expert has experience  with one. Yet he made that claim. That claim is incorrect.  I know, with such certainty, because I had one and got the results I described.  I was just correcting information  in case someone wants to same sone money when buying a Mac. I’m like a super hero in that way, lol.  

btw, three results on your search!  Great job. You are getting better! Keep at it. 

Edited by Hugh Mann

One thing to keep in mind on Unix type kernels is that memory is used as cache so, over time, all the memory should get used.  If there’s no need to flush the memory, it remains.  The behavior/RAM usage of a system with 8 GB and one with 16 GB may be different.  So, a better test for comparison would be to limit the amount of RAM that a system sees, so it essentially behaves as a 8 GB system.  I’d be interested in Jim’s tests in both configurations (8 GB and 16 GB).

• Great Idea 1