Apple Mac Mini M1

cclarry

7 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

M1 Mac Mini running OSX Big Sur v11.3

This is with most extraneous things disabled.

Running idle, it's using well over 7GB RAM.

Open standalone Kontakt 6 and load The Grandeur (piano library)... and memory usage is 8.37GB.

That's no DAW application... just a single large piano sample library running standalone.

M1_mini_mem.thumb.jpeg.1a8876b21ddd5515abfd8473e9b7240d.jpeg

More details to follow

4 hours ago, Hugh Mann said:

Not if he’s making that claim. One instance of grandeur will not use 8gb of ram on an m1.  I think he’s assuming based on x86 architecture.  

Ahem, read his first line in his post (i quoted it for you here).

If you don't know Jim is a pro DAW builder who is meticulous as all get out. I accept what he says as I know him to be thorough. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Ahem, read his first line in his post (i quoted it for you here).

If you don't know Jim is a pro DAW builder who is meticulous as all get out. I accept what he says as I know him to be thorough. 

Wait a minute....are you taking Jim's word over a guy with 12 posts?

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Hugh Mann said:

Not if he’s making that claim. One instance of grandeur will not use 8gb of ram on an m1.  I think he’s assuming based on x86 architecture.  

Come on man! Jim posted a screen shot of his memory usage. It was definitely on a MAC. He even specified it was a M1 Mac Mini running OSX Big Sur v11.3. It did have 16 GB of memory, not 8. Jim didn't say that one instance of grandeur would use 8 GB of ram. But loading Grandeur with whatever else was running at the time, seemed to put it over 8 GB.

Now the M1 may be an impressive processor, especially considering it's  low power, but nothing I have seen so far indicates that it leaves Intel or AMD processors in the dust.

6 hours ago, Hugh Mann said:

Leaves intel and amd in the Stone Age. 

Most BS comment in this thread.

Hugh you seem to be speaking like Jim is referring to x86 architecture. Might want to read his posts again.

For reference: Jim stated the speed of NVMe and Ram. Did you notice that he didn't list a machine/cpu/architecture? That's because it don't matter. Let that sink in.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

Try it with an 8gb m1 machine.  You will see all I’m saying is true.  Or make your snarky 12 y/o mean girls comments lol. I know because I’ve used it. first hand. Until  one of you, even the expert, does that,  then you are  all speculating.,  and actually spreading false info. geez. 

6 hours ago, Hugh Mann said:

Sorry, I no longer have an m1. Returned it. Waiting for the new versions. And I also don’t have that software.  I don’t remember the specifics of my testing, but I have kontakt and diva and a bunch of other plug ins. I purposely tested the ram by loading line 20 kontakt instances. Strings, horns, guitars, piano, vocals,battery,session drummer…all ran fine. This was on top of  over a hundred tracks. diva, and a bunch of other plug ins. Also threw a bunch of fx on each track.  Oh and it was 96khz,64 buffer. Uad interface. All silent and barely warm. I finally got it to crack when I also had a video editing program open and a few safari tabs.  It is an impressive machine. Leaves intel and amd in the Stone Age. 

The m1 sounds amazing - why would you return a computer that can load an instrument containing 5.26GB (compressed)/13.7GB (uncompressed) sample data (which is the size of the actual sample data, irrespective of the CPU's instruction set), as well as all those other instruments into 8GB system RAM,  and continue running smoothly at low latencies? Sounds like a great DAW; wouldn't it have been better to hold onto it, and then upgrade/trade up when the next version comes out? Can you remember which other instruments (you mentioned strings, horns, guitars, piano, and vocals) you loaded into Kontakt?

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keys/the-grandeur/

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

19 minutes ago, antler said:

The m1 sounds amazing - why would you return a computer that can load an instrument containing 5.26GB (compressed)/13.7GB (uncompressed) sample data (which is the size of the actual sample data, irrespective of the CPU's instruction set), as well as all those other instruments into 8GB system RAM,  and continue running smoothly at low latencies? Sounds like a great DAW; wouldn't it have been better to hold onto it, and then upgrade/trade up when the next version comes out? Can you remember which other instruments (you mentioned strings, horns, guitars, piano, and vocals) you loaded into Kontakt?

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keys/the-grandeur/

I returned it because I wanted a 16 inch. And I though the new version would be released in March.  Then I waited till June. Now I have to wait till November hopefully. I don’t remember what exact vst  I used.    But the kontakt stuff was orange tree guitars and the stuff included in komplete  11.  Plug ins where mostly divas it’s some plug in alliance and a few others.  If you are considering one, depending on your needs, an 8gb model should be more than fine, if one is trying to avoid the apple tax. 

27 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

You realize that quoting me and replying as you have, is also snarky? What a bunch of snarky dudes. Me included, lol

Most believable thing you've said in this thread! : )

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hugh Mann said:

Have you tried an 8gb m1 Mac?

No. I don't need to. I know how to read. I also can comprehend what I read. 

I read the posts of a reputable man stating facts. May want to read Jim's posts again, as I suggested to you before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Mann said:

Try it with an 8gb m1 machine.  You will see all I’m saying is true.  Or make your snarky 12 y/o mean girls comments lol. I know because I’ve used it. first hand. Until  one of you, even the expert, does that,  then you are  all speculating.,  and actually spreading false info. geez. 

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Most BS comment in this thread.

Hugh you seem to be speaking like Jim is referring to x86 architecture. Might want to read his posts again.

For reference: Jim stated the speed of NVMe and Ram. Did you notice that he didn't list a machine/cpu/architecture? That's because it don't matter. Let that sink in.

Some of use mean middle school girls on this forum use desktops that we've built.  I've built a 9900K system for the M1 price and no soldering required.  I do think it's great that Apple went full blown proprietary.   Too bad they are still pricey.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Grem said:

No. I don't need to. I know how to read. I also can comprehend what I read. 

I read the posts of a reputable man stating facts. May want to read Jim's posts again, as I suggested to you before.

I wouldn’t boast about your comprehension  skills just yet. He tested a 16gb ram one and I’m talking about an8gb one.  I am right, regardless if it hurts some of your feelings that I corrected these claims.