Project Audio not saving to correct drive.

vuzz14

Very strange behavior when saving project audio to a designated per project file location / drive. For many years this was working fine, recently it seems the audio content is stubbornly saving to my C:  drive no matter what location I designate. I use the "copy all audio to new folder "option. I like having all the audio associated with a project to be stored in every new version folder I create. I figure that helps with redundancy some.
  The audio .INI  is correct, pointing to correct location too!  I end up moving it all later and then pointing the .cwp to the right place, which works but is a pain.  Am I missing  something in the registry? Could have sworn I confirmed that was correct as well. Thanks in advance.

Maybe the latest update changed it? Are you using the latest version of CbB?

You mentioned you checked the AUD.ini file, but did you check in the preference menu to make sure its pointing to your audio drive?

Edited by CJ Jacobson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CJ Jacobson said:

You mentioned you checked the AUD.ini file, but did you check in the preference menu to make sure its pointing to your audio drive?

That's what I suspect as well ^^^^

Im not sure AUD.INI even contains Save project information. Its geared towards your AI settings. My guess would be along the lines of CJ's (check preferences/Folder locations)

• Like 1

The settings in preferences don't seem to have any setting that would change the "per project" saving of audio to the project folder. Those file paths are only for Global audio which hopefully nobody uses anymore. There's also Wave files which are for your exports and then you default project location.  Changing any of those should not effect where project audio goes. 

But there might be a new bug as I myself had this just happen:  

In the past, "save as" with the "copy audio" box checked more or less did just that, The audio associated with a project is copied and stored inside the project folder in the audio folder. 

I'm working in collaboration with my partner and we both have the latest CbB and all the bells and whistles on the two computers.  

So he's adding his parts at his place and I the same. We just got together to update our projects so I'd have his latest and he mine. 

I plugged my external drive to his machine. To update each file on his computer I normally would just copy them over, but we don't want extra versions cluttering things up. So I thought I'd just OPEN them from the back up drive and then "SAVE AS" to his machine overwriting his versions.  ( Note these are songs he had not worked on yet.) 

I did this for a few songs as we were listening to them. Later I re opened a song from his hard drive that I had "saved as" from mine and there was no audio? I opened each of the songs I had done this way and none of them had the updated audio. The Copy audio was checked.  I ended up deleting his versions and copying mine over, those were all fine.   

Edited by Cactus Music

When creating a new project using the start screen or CTRL+N, audio is stored in the global audio until the project is saved. When saved, the audio may be copied to the location specified in the audio path in the Save As dialog. By default this is a folder below the project path called Audio. If it seems projects are not saving properly note the project and audio paths at the bottom of the dialog.

The New Project dialog called from the main menu File > New... also defaults the audio folder under the project folder.

The default project folder is read from preferences.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:07 PM, scook said:

If it seems projects are not saving properly note the project and audio paths at the bottom of the dialog.

Good point, I bet If I had looked the path the audio was still saving to the Portable drive.  It's just something that I hadn't seen happen before. I have done  "save as" moves in the past and the they always worked 100%.  I don't really use it much these day's preferring to just drag and drop files to back up locations.  

As you mentioned if I was the OP I would have simply re named the containment ( project) folder. Opened the project and save as- renaming it into the same folder as original. Probably wouldn't even delete the original CWP file right at first as well.  As I said, I tend to not delete things until it's backed up and 100% safe to do so.