How to set up VOXENGO Span [FREE] for Multi Channel/Track Analysis?

SiV

Thank you guys! The basic setup for monitoring a single signal is a very useful technique... I'm stucked at the how to set Span/C♭B so I can see the freq. spectrum of >1 track in a single Span instance. 

Edited by SiV

AFAIK,

SPAN works on one track at a time

Multi-track require SPAN Pro 

The Vogengo descriptions are a little confusing as both support

multi-channel analysis, and can be set to display spectrums from two different channels or channel groups at the same time. 

This is not the same as multiple tracks. 

Note the additional info in the SPAN Pro description (emphasis added)

SPAN Plus is an extended version of the freeware SPAN plugin: SPAN Plus provides several additional features such as PNG file export, real-time spectrum import/export for cross-track spectrum comparisons, static spectrums display, and a “wide” display mode.

• Like 1

I know you gonna laugh at me but the thing is that months ago when I started learning C♭B, previous REAPER trial period, I actually managed to have 2 tracks, and their own freq. spectrums, analyzed in real time in a single Span window. Span was running in a exclusive BUS, just beside the MASTER BUS... I'm not gonna rely on my memory but that was sort of a SEND and/or PLUGIN PROPERTY setting, can't recall, anyway... Tomorrow is my day off and I gonna try to accomplish it again.

Edited by SiV

5 hours ago, SiV said:

Thank you guys! The basic setup for monitoring a single signal is a very useful technique... I'm stucked at the how to set Span/C♭B so I can see the freq. spectrum of >1 track in a single Span instance. 

Cakewalk makes three additional stereo inputs available to SPAN giving you a total of four. I think some of the videos talk about that. I don't think the one suggested above talks about using multiple inputs. I usually put span in a Group or Mix bus. Once SPAN is loaded in the bus, I go to up to three of the tracks feeding the Group or Mix bus and assign sends to the additional three inputs allowing me to analyze all four track spectrums and overlay one over another. Only two spectrum graphs can be displayed at a time.

14 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

Cakewalk makes three additional stereo inputs available to SPAN giving you a total of four. I think some of the videos talk about that. I don't think the one suggested above talks about using multiple inputs. I usually put span in a Group or Mix bus. Once SPAN is loaded in the bus, I go to up to three of the tracks feeding the Group or Mix bus and assign sends to the additional three inputs allowing me to analyze all four track spectrums and overlay one over another. Only two spectrum graphs can be displayed at a time.

Exactly. The first SEND/TRACK must go alone to the BUS running SPAN. Other 3 kind of goes like a Sidechain SEND, and are named SPAN Input 1 that actually will work as MID/SIDE comparison and is, in fact, the second SPAN input. I just don't recall how to set the first step of the whole process... Thanks!

OK, if I understand, what you are wanting is information on how to setup sidechains in CbB and Channel Routing in SPAN.

After adding SPAN to bus or aux track (or even a regular audio track), the sidechain inputs to the plug-in show up in track/bus sends and main outputs.

One track has a send to the bus or aux track hosting SPAN (if not on a regular track).

Send the other tracks to the 3 sidechain inputs to the SPAN.

Of course any number of tracks may be summed and sent to SPAN's main or sidechain inputs too.

Click the Routing button in the SPAN UI to display the Channel Routing dialog and assign In3 through In8  to the sidechain inputs

This will allow viewing two groups; one as the main display next to the Routing button and another as the Underlay

Is this what you are looking for?

• Great Idea 1

On 6/14/2021 at 12:27 AM, SiV said:

AFTER HOURS TRYING THE THING IS:

IT ONLY DID WHAT I WANTED ON VST2 PLUGIN

Looks like you are correct. I haven't tested thoroughly but I did verify that I'm using the VST2 version. So I dropped a VST3 version in to the same FX rack as the VST2 one is in, checked sends on another track, and no sends were available for the VST3 version. I deleted the VST3 version and inserted a second copy of the VST2 version, and found the 3 additional sends for the second copy were available (numbered weirdly but available).

Since I prefer to use VST3 plugins, I may have tried the VST3 version first and the switched to the VST2 version when I couldn't find sends on the VST3 version but I don't remember. I'm accustomed to trying VST2 versions when VST3 versions don't work because of previous problems with some iZotope plugins. AFAIR Cakewalk support dug into the iZotope issue and identified it as an iZotope problem, which I think was later fixed, though iZotope initially called it a Cakewalk problem. I haven't been using the iZotope products for a while now. So I'm not current on that.

Must have tested with the VST2 format only.

In most cases, I install both formats and have both VST3 migration settings turned off in CbB preferences.

Not a big fan of the DAW automatically hiding or changing my plug-in choices.

My guess is the auto-replace option was added for Waves as they only support VST3 in SONAR/CbB, they require VST3 for sidechain support and mixing their VST2 and VST3 plug-ins in the same project is a problem.

I tend use VST3 format but there are some manufacturers providing poor VST3 implementations (I guess Voxengo falls into this category) and some features have not made it to the format.

I'm a big advocate for using what you've got and not blowing money unnecessarily. However, kludging SPAN is a PIA and not worth the bother, IMO. Not when SPAN+ is only fifty bucks.

Or (better) watch Meldaproductions' weekly half-off sales for the inclusion of MMultiAnalyzer for about $35. Either product is going to be way easier to use, both in the setup and the interpretation.

That said, I have to be honest - even though I have both of these as well as BlueCat's impressive FreqAnalyst Pro, I don't actually use any of them. They're just not all that helpful.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Could you do a step of how you managed to do the visualization?
I'm trying to compare my mix to a reference mix.

I'd suggest you search YouTube. I've seen a couple of really good YouTube videos showing how to  setup span for mixing and mastering but it's been a while. 

8 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

I'd suggest you search YouTube. I've seen a couple of really good YouTube videos showing how to  setup span for mixing and mastering but it's been a while. 

Thanks for your answer.
I've seen several videos on the topic. Including the one suggested in this same topic above.
Unfortunately, none address usage in Cakewalk.
There have already been some clarifications from friends on the forum, but I'm still bumping into routing. See if my statements are correct.

1) Routing is only possible in VST2 version when ports 2, 3 and 4 are opened on plugin inclusion.
2) Includes a stereo bus where the VST2 plugin has been included.
3) I opened a track for my MIX and put as OUTPUT (not SEND) the stereo bus where the plugin is included.
4) I opened another track for my REFERENCE and put as SEND the stereo bus where the plugin is included.

Here the doubts begin:

1) Which plugin PRESET should I use? MID/SIDE or STEREO?
2) How to ROUTING so that the two tracks (MIX AND REFERENCE) can be observed.

Once again, I appreciate your kindness and that of anyone who can enlighten me.

I share what I got and I think it will meet my main objective now, which is to have a comparison between my MIX and a CHOSEN MIX.

Follow my step by step.

1) In a project I created 2 tracks that I called: MY MIX and REFERENCE.

2) I created a STEREO BUS where I put the VOXENGO SPAN.

3) On track 1 (MINHA MIX) I put the created STEREO BUS as OUTPUT.

4) Track 2 (REFERENCE) I put SPAN 2 - INPUT 4 as SEND.

The basic VOXENGO SPAN settings I made:

1) I used the STEREO-MASTERING preset.

2) In ROUTING in the INPUT ROUTING option, in addition to L/R that appear in 1/2, I informed 3 in IN3.

3) In GROUPS ASSIGNMENTS I entered G-3 in 3.

The visual and sampling time settings I did to my liking.

The important thing now is that, after including an EQ on track 1 (MY MIX), I can now visually move my MIX closer to the REFERENCE I chose.

Hope this helps more forum friends.

Edited by Milton Sica

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I share what I got and I think it will meet my main objective now, which is to have a comparison between my MIX and a CHOSEN MIX.

Follow my step by step.

1) In a project I created 2 tracks that I called: MY MIX and REFERENCE.

2) I created a STEREO BUS where I put the VOXENGO SPAN.

3) On track 1 (MINHA MIX) I put the created STEREO BUS as OUTPUT.

4) Track 2 (REFERENCE) I put SPAN 2 - INPUT 4 as SEND.

The basic VOXENGO SPAN settings I made:

1) I used the STEREO-MASTERING preset.

2) In ROUTING in the INPUT ROUTING option, in addition to L/R that appear in 1/2, I informed 3 in IN3.

3) In GROUPS ASSIGNMENTS I entered G-3 in 3.

The visual and sampling time settings I did to my liking.

The important thing now is that, after including an EQ on track 1 (MY MIX), I can now visually move my MIX closer to the REFERENCE I chose.

Hope this helps more forum friends.

Sorry, I haven't used SPAN for a while but I'll guess based on my memory (almost always a bad idea):

1. Inputs 1&2 are the stereo input to the track the that SPAN is plugged into, in your case I'd suggest the MY MIX or REFERENCE tracks. 
  2. You don't need a SPAN bus, but, if you want to create a SPAN stereo bus, route the send from either your REFERENCE or MY MIX tracks to the input of the SPAN bus.
  3. Yes, that should work if you keep the STEREO BUS.  See 2 above.
  4.  Yes, either that or 3. Only one should be available.

SPAN

1. I didn't use factory presets but recall that they worked pretty well
  2. Internal SPAN routing was always confusing (trial and error) for me, but in the end it worked.
  3. Ditto group assignments.

Sounds like you were happy with the results. So call it done.

• Like 1