What exactly are these MIDI ports?

winkpain

Question

I realize that I have never understood exactly what the "MIDIIN 2" and "MIDIOUT 2" (with varying numbers and the name of my keyboard in parentheses after them). They are "virtual MIDI ports", I know, but exactly when and which ones do I use and for what, or do I?

In my case at the moment and for example, for the available MIDI ports associated with my Novation Impulse keyboard I have (in Preferences/MIDI devices):

In ports - Impulse, MIDIIN 2 (Impulse), MIDIIN 3 (Impulse)

Out ports - Impulse, MIDIOUT 2 (Impulse)

I have them checked "on" in Preferences/MIDI Devices, but nowhere else do I have them selected. Not in any tracks' MIDI ports settings, nor in the Preferences/Control surfaces ports settings (Here I have just "Impulse" for in and out ports in the AZController plugin that I use for this keyboard ).  I know I have to have them checked "on" in Preferences/MIDI Devices  for the faders, knobs, transport, etc. of my keyboard to work, but I've never really understood the which, when, and wherefore of it all.  Why, for example are there 3 in ports but only two out ports?  What exactly do the different numbered ones do? If there is more than one numbered virtual port (as is my case with the "Ins" ), which is which and how do I know?  When, if ever, should I be choosing one of these numbered MIDI ports by name in a setting?

Lot's of questions, but they are all kind of the same one. I am not suffering anything not working with any of it (at the moment!), but I would love to know more in order to understand more better  🙄

11 answers to this question

When keyboard controllers have more than one MIDI port, usually the first MIDI port is used for the actual keyboard, the sustain pedal, and the  modulation / pitch bend wheels.

Any additional MIDI ports are normally used for faders, transport control, or any additional controllers your keyboard may have.

The idea being, that you can assign MIDI IN 2 / MIDI OUT 2 to a control surface (e.g. Mackie Control if it has Mackie emulation, or Cakewalk ACT ), but still use MIDI IN 1 for recording normal performances.

A third pair of MIDI ports might be used for changing the settings of your keyboard (i.e. assigning control surface mode, or assigning CC values to faders etc). You should check the user manual for more info.

40 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

When keyboard controllers have more than one MIDI port, usually the first MIDI port is used for the actual keyboard, the sustain pedal, and the  modulation / pitch bend wheels.

Any additional MIDI ports are normally used for faders, transport control, or any additional controllers your keyboard may have.

The idea being, that you can assign MIDI IN 2 / MIDI OUT 2 to a control surface (e.g. Mackie Control if it has Mackie emulation, or Cakewalk ACT ), but still use MIDI IN 1 for recording normal performances.

A third pair of MIDI ports might be used for changing the settings of your keyboard (i.e. assigning control surface mode, or assigning CC values to faders etc). You should check the user manual for more info.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any information in the Impulse manual about how these virtual ports are purposed. Regarding MIDI ports, it  only speaks of the physical USB or DIN MIDI ports. Virtual ports are not mentioned at all.

In general 'tho, is there ever a reason to call on these ports (in a setting) by name other than having them checked "on" in Preferences/MIDI devices? This latter is all I do and if I do not, the controller functions do not work, but as I say, within the controller plugin's Preferences window (as well as anywhere else where I want to connect the keyboard/controller), I only ever have the first of the three ports chosen. Is this always the appropriate protocol?

Just had a quick look at the manual.

It mentions the other MIDI ports in the Control Surface setup.  It looks like the Impulse only supports HUI, which might work with the Mackie Control if the protocol is set to HUI (beta). 

If you're not going to use it as a control surface, I'd just have the first MIDI IN 1 / MIDI OUT 1 ports enabled.

39 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Just had a quick look at the manual.

It mentions the other MIDI ports in the Control Surface setup.  It looks like the Impulse only supports HUI, which might work with the Mackie Control if the protocol is set to HUI (beta). 

If you're not going to use it as a control surface, I'd just have the first MIDI IN 1 / MIDI OUT 1 ports enabled.

I'm definitely using it as a control surface in addition to the note input. And it's working that way now, so I'll just leave it be. Was just wanting to know more.

Did you happen to notice what page/chapter those virtual ports are discussed?  The HUI functioning is something that was just added in a firmware update that I just did the other day, so just got the updated manual were it discusses that a bit, but I don't see where it discusses the virtual ports or the difference between #2 and #3, for example.

3 minutes ago, winkpain said:

I'm definitely using it as a control surface in addition to the note input. And it's working that way now, so I'll just leave it be. Was just wanting to know more.

Did you happen to notice what page/chapter those virtual ports are discussed?  The HUI functioning is something that was just added in a firmware update that I just did the other day, so just got the updated manual were it discusses that a bit, but I don't see where it discusses the virtual ports or the difference between #2 and #3, for example.

This was the page I saw it on:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1908369/Novation-Impulse-49.html?page=8#manual

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Right. I see that, but that's for setting up in Cubase of course. Cakewalk doesn't get a mention in the manual. And in Cakewalk they are simply listed as MIDIIN2, etc. and the manual doesn't go on to say what specifically they are for, why 3 and then 2, etc..   Perhaps it is obvious to many, but this is a realm where my knowledge is a bit more basic.

I'll just leave everything as is.

Edited by winkpain

(1) These manuals? (2) Is the automap guide applicable?  

I have plain old MIDI interfaces with multiple ports and they show up as numbered ports.  Is it possible that the ports are for user configuration and not specially dedicated to certain functions?  If so, perhaps the automap utility is just a tool for helping users to set up the flexible MIDI ports?

17 hours ago, User 905133 said:

(1) These manuals? (2) Is the automap guide applicable?  

I have plain old MIDI interfaces with multiple ports and they show up as numbered ports.  Is it possible that the ports are for user configuration and not specially dedicated to certain functions?  If so, perhaps the automap utility is just a tool for helping users to set up the flexible MIDI ports?

Thanks. Yes, that is the manual I have, and it really does not go into any detail about virtual ports and their specific purposes.   I do not use Automap as it has been discontinued and never really worked anyway. The new firmware instigated the HUI protocol, and I believe it was after updating that that I first saw the "MIDIIN 3" added to the ports which started getting me curious. I just figured it would be nice to know exactly what these ports are for. They obviously are necessary, but I'm just flying with them blind.

Edited by winkpain
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 12:04 AM, Kawika said:

Winkpain, I'm in a similar related boat. I have an Impulse 49. Are you able to assign CC# to any of the features (e.g., tremolo) of your soft synths?

thanks,

Kawika

Yes, I have been able to assign CC's to controls. It is necessary to switch the mode on the Impulse to MIDI with the Plugin/Mixer/MIDI buttons next to either the faders or the rotators, 'tho. Otherwise, I am now using a control surface plugin (AZController) and then a custom Impulse preset with that.  These are for working with the Impulse in "DAW Mode"