Bob Katz interview

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention earlier that, during the interview, Bob Katz mentions an album that he mastered a few years back that he highly regards, 3 Cities by the Bombay Dub Orchestra.  I got a copy of the CD and not only is it a great example of Bob's mastering, I found the music by Garry Hughes and Andrew Mackay to be a fascinating blend of genres, very cinematic, and sensuous.  Highly recommended; play this on the best stereo system you can get your hands on.

• 1 month later...

Bob is a great guy who knows much about his area of expertise. I still have his books signed by him, although I might not know where they are right now.  :)

I see him as a hardware guy, pretty much invented the K-system which differs from LUFS  in the setup. If you pull something in on the K system, it's probably going to be ok on the LUFS system as well. Everyone is adopting LUFS . Thankfully most mastering tools include both. 

I once asked- How loud can I make this and not be too loud?

Now I ask- How can I retain the dynamic quality and intention of the track while mastering it to a volume that sounds comfortable on most systems at mid volume? 

• Like 2