Mars final remix

mark skinner

This was a tough one as far as lyrics. Pretty simple but I think I got the feel I wanted. I had a hard time getting it to sit in the mix until I side chained most of the tracks with the main vocal. I wanted an unusual FX for a more surreal off earth sound and settled on "pulse" on one of the doubled tracks.   Scenario - She is at the end of her stay as crews are rotated , Commander want's her to stay one more rotation and return to earth with him in 24 more sols.  All comments , crits and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

Mark . . . excellent piece ! . . . really hear the Bowie in your vocals here.

The vocals seem quite low in the first part . . . then after your fade down, in the middle they are much more up front, then towards the end, kinda' low again. Might not be just volume, perhaps tweak some of the speech recognition range to the lead vocals, 6-8K ? Overall, it's a very fascinating sound array, different than your usual, but you're always trying something different, and always a great groove flowing along. I like the guitar FX a lot, not something I would have thought to try . . . so, very creative to get the off world effect you were going for.

There is a very hooky guitar riff (descending chromatic) , you use it in the second section, then again in the brief guitar solo section . . . you might try it in the intro part ? cuz it's hooky.

• Like 1

@noynekker Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at the vocal volume and guitar part. I'm in the process of a substantial remix. The "pulse" on the main vox is Really getting annoying. I used a lot of vibrato when I sang it and don't need the FX. Drums were also Weak. Hopefully I'll put this one behind me soon.. I got sidetracked with a Lewitt microphone mixing contest. Pretty cool and a good learning experience. Big prizes and great wav files to work with.  If anyone is into mixing and have the time you should check them out.   Thanks  ..   mark

Mark, I was expecting Bowie-esque and there it was right away. Nice. Very intricate and varying stuff going on in the background which made for a fun listen. I agree with noynekker about the volume of the vocal and that perhaps it could be EQ'd up in the range he mentioned. Great job!
-Bjorn

• Like 1

I'm calling this one finished. If something really sticks out that needs addressing I'll fix it but won't bump it up again. I did a lot of work on the vocals and think they're much better now. I added more drums and addressed the thin low end. Thanks for All the feedback on this and the instrumental version.  Special thanks to @noynekker for the guidance.  I really appreciate the help ..  mark