Soloing a group bus bypasses reverb sends... is this a bug or a feature?

I'm a new user and I'm loving it so far. Migrated over from my elderly version of Cubase 5.

I have a big project with multiple group buses and a reverb bus. I've noticed that when I create a group bus and assign tracks to it, soloing that group bus will bypass the reverb send. This happens whether the reverb sends are from the original tracks or whether the reverb send is from the group bus.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to solo a group bus and have the reverb play back as well. If I solo the individual tracks in the group bus, the reverb plays back fine - again, no matter whether the reverb sends are on the original tracks or on the group bus. However, as soon as I solo the group bus the reverb stops.

Can anyone help? I've only been using Cakewalk for about a week.

Thanks.

Imagine if the group and reverb busses were separate physical boxes with cables connecting a common sound source to each of them. You'd need two cables, and unplugging either of them results in the box it's routed to going silent. That's what soloing does: it essentially disconnects every other connection except the one being soloed. If you want to also hear reverb, which is a separate bus, you have to "solo" that bus as well. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Imagine if the group and reverb busses were separate physical boxes with cables connecting a common sound source to each of them. You'd need two cables, and unplugging either of them results in the box it's routed to going silent. That's what soloing does: it essentially disconnects every other connection except the one being soloed. If you want to also hear reverb, which is a separate bus, you have to "solo" that bus as well. 

Gotcha, thanks. I guess I just find it counter-intuitive that soloing a track that's in a group bus still sends to the reverb bus, but soloing the group itself doesn't, whether the reverb send is from the original track or from the group bus. I guess it's partially to do with coming from Cubase, where FX buses and group channels are treated as two distinct entities, rather than just as a bus that can be used in different ways. Thanks for the help.

Nothing has changed since the days of analog mixers. You had to figure these things out and it wasn’t a big deal to press more than one solo button. 
That’s why you were called an engineer. It sort of implied that you were educated and new your way around the millions of controls and cables. 
So that said there’s always a bad idea workaround. create a new buss and send the reverb and the other buss there. There’s probably a dozen other ways using aux busses and what not 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1