Nuendo Crossgrade/Upgrade offers

cclarry

From the top of the page linked above

40% DISCOUNT ON NUENDO FULL VERSION AND CROSSGRADES

Nuendo 11 heralds a new, modern world of game audio, sound design and audio post for TV, film or streaming services such as Netflix and immersive Dolby Atmos. To welcome you to the fast, intuitive and feature-filled Nuendo experience, until June 21, 2021 we are offering a huge 40% discount when you purchase the full version of Nuendo 11*, crossgrades from Cubase and other DAWs, as well as Immerse with VST AmbiDecoder.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

It will replace your  Cubase license and can't use it anymore.

Nuendo does everything Cubase does, think Cubase XL/Platinum/Producer, so you don´t need it anyway afaik - I bought the competitive upgrade last week so maybe there´s some advantage to using Cubase instead that I don´t see yet?

Being a Sonar XL/Producer/Platinum user almost exclusively for about 20 years I´ve got to say there are some things that feel a bit awkward usagewise - but I´ll learn sooner or later.🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scook said:

What would be the point of it if replacing it rendered it useless?

It removes your Cubase license and replaces it with Nuendo because it is a crossgrade.   I guess this is a DAW more suited film.     

2 hours ago, Per Westin said:

maybe there´s some advantage to using Cubase instead that I don´t see yet?

Cubase has the collaborative tool "VST Transit", Nuendo doesn't. Nuendo supports other systems of collab. over network, though.

In Cubase .5 version upgrades cost money (you can skip upgrading of course) , in Nuendo they are free.

Overall Cubase is cheaper to upgrade.

Some features make it into Cubase first, some into Nuendo, and are later added to the other.

Cubase is more segmented for music production. So you can expect music production related features to land on Cubase first.

Nuendo for post-production and video work, working with more channels (surround in films/games), VR, working with large number of sound effects, dubbing, commercial game engines and versioning system (Perforce). You also get additional effects, mostly pertaining to these areas.

Nuendo better facilitates working on and sharing large projects with a team.

So expect any post-production/film/game/VR/collaboration -related features to land on Nuendo first.

If you don't do any of the latter, Nuendo is not a "better" version of Cubase, just more expensive. Cubase has caught up to match Nuendo in most aspects.

Traditionally, Nuendo had a longer update cycle, meaning that:

• it lagged behind in features
  • it was more stable

This changed recently and now Nuendo gets more frequent updates. The updates are also more synchronized between Cubase and Nuendo, but I don't know if that affects introduction of new features or just bug fixes and other performance/stability improvements.

Expect better support from Steinberg if you own Nuendo, if you ever need to ask or request something. I haven't, because the internets.

Edited by sarine

2 hours ago, Per Westin said:

Nuendo does everything Cubase does, think Cubase XL/Platinum/Producer

This is patently false, as Cubase is head-on purpose-built for producing music, and Nuendo doesn't come with any extras that would justify distinguishing it as a "Producer" edition of Cubase in that domain.

7 minutes ago, sarine said:

This is patently false, as Cubase is head-on purpose-built for producing music, and Nuendo doesn't come with any extras that would justify distinguishing it as a "Producer" edition of Cubase in that domain.

As has been stated already

Cubase = Music Production
Nuendo = Film/Post Production

Samplitude = Music Production
Sequoia = Film/Post Production

Pro Tools = Music Production
Media Composer = Film/Post Production

It's a common theme, and scheme, among the "heavy players"...

The bottom line is that the latter of each is "more expensive" due to their ability to "do more" for the intended
market.

So, if your sole intent is "producing music" then Cubase, Samplitude, Pro Tools, etc..would be all you need.
However, if you intend on doing "Film Scoring/Post Production" work, then Nuendo, Sequoia, Media Composer
is the vehicle those who do such work prefer to "ride in"....

Can you do that in the others?   YES - but with limited functionality in that regards,
but that's really not what they are intended for.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, sarine said:

Expect better support from Steinberg if you own Nuendo

Quoting myself because one might also summarize the fundamental difference in terms of the level of support you can expect. Nuendo is overloaded with complicated features targeted at more specific uses and large teams, that when something doesn't work as expected you save time and money by contacting Steinberg instead of reading Reddit. You pay for those complicated features and the support when you buy Nuendo, and every time you upgrade.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sarine said:

Quoting myself because one might also summarize the fundamental difference in terms of the level of support you can expect. Nuendo is overloaded with complicated features targeted at more specific uses and large teams, that when something doesn't work as expected you save time and money by contacting Steinberg instead of reading Reddit. You pay for those complicated features and the support when you buy Nuendo, and every time you upgrade.

as both a Cubase and Nuendo user (for many, many, many years!) that's not strictly accurate ....in my opinon

support on both is pretty much a 'shrug'  - I've support requests on both products open for months with zero response.  Don't think you are buying into better support with Nuendo.   

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, simon said:

I've support requests on both products open for months with zero response.

I've opened somewhere  between 0 and 1 tickets with Steinberg so take this guy's word over mine.

My view is based on the impression I've gotten from browsing the web.

For example, the word has it that Cubase users had been requesting Steinberg to return support for Houston controller to Cubase 11 for months, to no avail. When Nuendo 11 landed it took one thread with a few people asking for the same thing (that's what it looks like anyway), and soon it was promised to be added back in the next update (and it was).

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/nuendo-11-available-now-the-gold-standard-for-professional-audio/589132/43

Getting through to someone who listens might be a gamble. I've dealt with companies before whose first-line custom support makes you want to set them on fire, but if you can make your way through The Idiot Firewall, you get to talk to someone who actually has a brain and wants to solve your problem.

• Like 2

I cross graded to get Nuendo (instead of upgrading and losing my Cubase license).  In hindsight it was a dumb move.  Nuendo is Cubase + extra video/film and game features.  The only difference is Cubase seems to get earlier 0.5 updates but Nuendo catches up pretty quickly.  They do seem to be trying to keep them in sync more than they have in the past.  As for support, I'd imagine Nuendo support is slightly better, but I've yet to see it in practice. 

All things considered though, I've stopped updating my Cubase license.  If selling it wasn't such a pain, I'd most likely just sell it off.  If you are only doing music/audio then Cubase is awesome, you don't need Nuendo.  But if you are doing anything with video/film/games getting Nuendo instead of Cubase may be a good idea.  Though to be honest I think I could easily live with just Cubase even for film/video/game work.

That said, lately with Cakewalk adding expression maps I've kind of stopped using Nuendo and went back to Cakewalk.  Cakewalk's video support is pretty weak though, but I understand it and can live with it.  Not like I'm outputting video with any of these apps really.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cclarry said:

40% off - crossgrade from Cubase is $240, and Comp Crossgrade is $477

https://new.steinberg.net/promotion/nuendo/

Last year I crossgraded to Nuendo from cubase because $240 was a once in a lifetime reduction in cost due to their 20 year anniversary.  Seems like it will be a yearly thing now haha.  I didn’t activate nuendo 10.5 anticipating nuendo 11 was around the corner.  So this saved me an upgrade cost.  Also nice is you don’t need a usb elicensor anymore which used to put people off.   I really haven’t used cubase in a very long time and I’m covered DAW wise but the generous crossgrade that covered my very old license made it interesting to me so I could dable in film/post work.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sarine said:

Call it what you want, Steinberg's own comparison says Nuendo can do anything that Cubase does but has "more of everything" - the only thing missing in Nuendo but not in Cubase that I could see in their comparison is, as you mentioned, VST Transit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevin H said:

Last year I crossgraded to Nuendo from cubase because $240 was a once in a lifetime reduction in cost due to their 20 year anniversary.  Seems like it will be a yearly thing now haha.

As far as I know, Nuendo is permanently priced lower now.