Drum Machine Sequencer Plugins with Midi Output?

Hi there!

I'm very much into the G-Stomper Rhythm App the last Months, where you can play your own Drum Samples with an 808style Drum Sequencer via Midi triggering. You can controll it with your Midi-Controller and you can also output Midi from the Sequencer to trigger third party VST like Drum Samplers and Instruments. Sad thing is, that it's an Andoid only Smartphone App and I'm looking for something similar to use in Cakewalk. I already have a bunch of good drum samples and I'm using the Sitala Drum Sampler to play them. I'm also using some Kontakt Instruments for drums. So my goal is to find a good sequencer to play around and loop in an 808-Style and trigger these drums I already have via Midi. So there's no need for me to download a drum machine that uses only its own sounds.

The Idea sounds very simple but I just can't find anything that is freeware and that doesn't come with its own sound library.

Any tips?

On 6/6/2021 at 5:30 AM, Tapelooper said:

Any tips?

Have you tried the built-in step sequencer in Cakewalk yet? It should be able to trigger Sitala or any other sampler plugin that you have. And anything you do in the sequencer is also reflected in the piano roll view for your track, so you already have your MIDI.

Edited by abacab

Thanks for your answer! But I think i haven't made clear what I wanted to do. I know the basics of the Step Sequencer but my goal is to use it for live looping. I mean playing the drumpads of my midi controller, recording, looping and overdubbing in realtime.

Since I updated to the latest version of Cakewalk, I'm able to actually hear what I recorded as the loop repeats itself. So I can overdub in real time. My Problem with the Step Sequencer is that it doesn't show the notes I recorded. I'm not sure if I missed some of the basic functions of the Step Sequencer or if it just doesn't do that.

And there's another problem I can't get rid of: Whenever I delete the clips in the track or close and re-open the Step Sequencer, I have to set it up all over again. Meaning the shown midi-tracks go back to default and I have to search for the Kick, Snare, Hat etc. again to be displayed in the Step Sequencer.

So here's what I'm trying to achieve:

- Set up a loop of let's say 8 Bars
- Record/Play/overdub in realtime without having to stop the recording
- Start/Stop recording without stopping the playback of the loop, so I can improvise over it and use an Arpeggiator/Note Repeat to play over the loop without recording this
- Clear tracks on the fly without stopping the loop

So I'm actually looking for the workflow of an MPC/ Drum-Machine and I can't seem to do this with the built-in Step Sequencer. Again, I don't really know if I'm missing out on some basics or if I actually need a third party plugin for this. I've tried MPC Beats by Akai Professionalbus using it as a plugin, it keeps crashing Cakewalk.

Edited by Tapelooper

9 hours ago, Tapelooper said:

So here's what I'm trying to achieve:

- Set up a loop of let's say 8 Bars
- Record/Play/overdub in realtime without having to stop the recording
- Start/Stop recording without stopping the playback of the loop, so I can improvise over it and use an Arpeggiator/Note Repeat to play over the loop without recording this
- Clear tracks on the fly without stopping the loop

So I'm actually looking for the workflow of an MPC/ Drum-Machine and I can't seem to do this with the built-in Step Sequencer. Again, I don't really know if I'm missing out on some basics or if I actually need a third party plugin for this. I've tried MPC Beats by Akai Professionalbus using it as a plugin, it keeps crashing Cakewalk.

I don't think you need the step sequencer for this - just use a midi track. Set recording for sound on sound. Set up a loop. I think you can record enable/disable while looping. You'll have to try deleting and see if it works.

11 hours ago, Tapelooper said:

I would recommend Ableton Live for live looping. The free Lite version (8 tracks/8 scenes) comes bundled with many hardware devices, and the Intro version (16 tracks/16 scenes) is not very expensive. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Live11intro--ableton-live-11-intro

Plus there is a 90 day free demo of the full paid version available. https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

Live was designed for exactly what you are trying to do (and much more). If you try looping with Cakewalk it will be a workaround, as CW was not really designed to excel at live workflow. CW is best as a studio tool for linear recording/editing. Usually it's easiest to use tools that are designed to work the way you do. Just my two cents.

Sorry to hear that you had no luck with MPC Beats, as that might have been a decent free alternative from what I've heard, although I have never used it.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

I noticed that YouTube post (from 2018) mentioned that the audio Looper plugin was only available in Live Standard, or above. But it is now available in Live Intro 11.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

Live Lite 10 is supposed to be updated to Live Lite 11 later this year. Live Lite 10 does not include audio Looper. Remains to be seen what will be included with that new edition of Lite.

Edited by abacab

14 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Cakewalk and other DAWs are really intended as a multi track recording tool more so than a live performance tool.

I think that many newcomers to Cakewalk do not realize that various DAWs have some major differences.

The distinctions for live performance are a bit more complex than that. If you see a performer doing some cool stuff on stage, it it advisable to do some research, not just assume that any multi track recording tool will do that. You will need to use the tools that they use...

The misunderstanding is deep, especially now that a powerful multi track recording tool such as Cakewalk is free.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1