cakewalk won't start on new laptop [SOLVED]

Bert Troep

Question

I am trying to launch cakewalk on my new laptop, but it won't start. It hangs at startup, right after having scanned the plugins directory, the cursor keeps on showing the turning wheel and the application simply doesn't respond. Also all the steps until this point where painfully slow (minutes to scan the plugins directory with only the cakewalk default ones installed).

I've already tried to uninstall and re-install cakewalk several times (4), but nothing changes, i get always the same behaviour.

Hereby the specs of my system:

- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
- System Model: ZenBook Pro Duo UX582LR_UX582LR
- BIOS: UX582LR.203 (type: UEFI)
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
- Memory: 32768MB RAM

- Graphic card 1: Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics,

- Graphic card 2: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6

- hard drive: 1Tb Samsung 

All of the mandatory windows 10 updates have been installed already. I am attaching as well a DxDiag report of my system for completeness.

The only posts on the forum reporting a similar issue are dating back to 2018/2019... I'm lost. Anyone has any idea?

Thank you in advance!

DxDiag.txt

16 answers to this question

Similar problem... I assumed CW would give me a chance to edit my preferences rather than just hanging, but I guess not! I thought I'd fire up CW before installing the ASIO drivers for my interface, but no.. simply solved by installing the ASIO drivers thanks to the clue from this post

So for Bert Troep, NOT using ASIO was the fix, but for grannis, ASIO was the fix. Am I just confused? I'm having the same issue with my brand new Dell Inspiron 16plus computer and a new install of Cakewalk.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:49 AM, grannis said:

the ASIO drivers for my interface

If someone's calling it an "interface," I'll bet it's an external one.

WASAPI usually works great with the Realtek hardware CODEC, but for 95% of external interfaces, they ship with an ASIO driver designed to work with the interface.

Even my cheap gimmicky Behringer USB guitar has its own ASIO driver. The only one I've heard of that doesn't is the absolute bottom-of-the-line Behringer, and that may be old information.

On 6/6/2021 at 2:56 AM, scook said:

The Realtek ASIO driver is not suitable for DAW use.

If you want to save the entry for some reason, export it before deleting it.

Then delete the Realtek entry and startup CbB

Hi there, I seemed to be having the same problem as the OP. Do you mind to explain more about this? I already found the thing on the registry but I don't understand with what you meant by "delete the realtek entry and startup CbB". Thank you in advance.

2 hours ago, scook said:

Using regedit look  for an entry in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

that contains RealTek in the key.

If there is one delete the entry.

After that CbB should start up normally.

OK cool thank you so much for your help! I thought my laptop was simply incompatible to run Cakewalk but now it is finally functioning. You are the best!

I'm facing the exact same problem. I tried to do what Scook said (deleated Realtec Asio folder). Now Cakewalk runs normally, but there's no sound. I tested the sound from my notebook using the speaker and also earphones and it works fine. There is still a problem with cakewalk. Bone, Grannis and Bert mentioned it worked for them. What else did you guys did other than deleating Realtek Asio? Did you installed a specific driver?

I had a severe problem installing Cakewalk on a new laptop.
SOLVED: It turned out to be an audio driver issue similar to others described in this thread. Maybe this info will save someone a lot of wasted time.

Laptop: HP ENVY x360, Windows 11

I installed Cakewalk, and on first run it always got hung with a spinning cursor. Periodically a little window with a progress bar flashed on the screen (too short to read text). Basically it was almost impossible to do anything with dialogs. When I managed to  open preferences, the only audio I/O devices were "Steinberg built-in ASIO...", checked.

When I looked in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO I saw 2 entries:
Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver
Steinberg built-in ASIO Driver

I'm pretty sure these both came from Steinberg from a previous installation of Dorico software.

TO FIX:
a. Backed up the entire registry!
b. Exported and then deleted the "Steinberg built-in" key
c. Restarted Cakewalk - now operating normally
d. There was a pop-up dialog saying "Generic Low Latency ASIO" was not compatible - change to WASAPI? I said yes.
e. Audio profiles run and everything seems to be normal.

I wish there were a way to avoid/bypass the setup hang with driver issues... An extension to "safe mode"?