Rick Beato - How Computers Ruined Rock Music

SteveStrummerUK

Doesn't stop him from recording on ProTools. 😉

It's not the computer's fault. The adage "GIGO" has just morphed into "Garbage In -> Turd Polisher -> Somewhat less-stinky garbage out".  I prefer to think of it as democratization.

We all have the option of quantizing or not, pitch correcting or not, comping 34 takes or grabbing it live in one pass. Or choose a key other than Am. The computer might allow me to drain someone's bank account, but it doesn't demand it.

BTW, I am a big fan of Rick Beato. If you like his content, look up his buddy Adam Neely, who does a great job explaining music theory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah this is just the producers and drummers’ fault. They want to play perfect and don’t want to know it ruin the groove. As with Auto-Tune too. You can miss use everything. And in my opinion that is what they have done with much of POP music today. And some people think that great singer sounds bad because they ant heavy pitch corrected, then hey have ben ruined to not love life and what life is.

When programming drums you can’t start to think like this or even take it into account. Ether way you can end up with drum machine sound or end up with drums sounding like a not so good drummer. Lol.

And for pitch. I think its great to have tools that can fix things. I have many perfect takes but one note (ore section) was ether wrong or bad, now you can give the singer a break and just fixt this small thing.

Listen to Ken Tamplin talking about the 80 and recording vocals. They used to record 80 – 250 tracks of vocal, depends on the studio and the vocalist, but they wanted to try out different flair and techniques in the vocal that took time in the studio. Now you can do it so much faster with a few tracks and just make the parts you want fit together with Melodyne.

And another think. Not every rock artist can record as a band live in the studio. And saying that “that” is what’s wrong is just stupid. It’s like my classmate in the 80’s stated that only Iron Maiden is true music because they are the only one on the scene playing as a band (live together) in the studio. Yeah cool for them. But for others that has other ways of recording songs, that’s cool too. It is the end result that’s what people hear anyways. And like Bach and Brandenburg concertos, I bet he newer heard them played himself. As I have heard, they were made as a job CV to show what he could do. And was put in a drawer and laid there for 100 years. So, is those Concertos bad because there was no live performance involved in the composition and making of the music?

And I dont have 2 cents. I have NOK... Do you guys take that? Or can anyone change i 1 Norwegian Krone to 2 cents?

Edited by ØSkald
  • Like 1

Usually I would agree that his videos are interesting, but this one I didn't make it past halfway.

A bit like saying that Mcdonald's (other take away food outlets are available) made everyone fat.

Beato's Overly Long Lecture On Common Knowledge Subject.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, paulo said:

Usually I would agree that his videos are interesting, but this one I didn't make it past halfway.

A bit like saying that Mcdonald's (other take away food outlets are available) made everyone fat.

Beato's Overly Long Lecture On Common Knowledge Subject.