Milton Sica

fx chain - does not replicate updates to other projects

fx chain

Not sure I'm missing any detail of the documentation that handles fx string.

My understanding of how a preset chain works is that if I make changes to the chain and save it, the changes will be replicated in all projects where the chain is inserted, but that's not what happens.

The chain inserted in a project, even when changed, does not have its changes replicated in other projects.

Example:

1) I create an fx chain with the name - FX Chain 1.
2) In this chain I insert 2 fx and the parameter.
3) In another project I find that Chain FX 1 can be improved by inserting another FX.
4) I insert the FX and save it with the same name, that is: Chain FX 1

My thought is that this change would be replicated in all projects where Chain FX 1 is included, but that's not what happens.

I have to change in each project the Chain FX 1 for the new changes or, delete and insert again.

Is there a way to get around or is the specification the same?

An FX chain works just like a track template except instead of a collection of tracks, it is a collection of plug-ins.

It is read once and stored in the project.

9 minutes ago, scook said:

An FX chain works just like a track template except instead of a collection of tracks, it is a collection of plug-ins.

Thank you for your help. Understand. Is there any way/parameterization of initialization (???) for the DAW to load the fx string of a given name (String FX1 for example) with the current details recorded? As I understand it, the same occurs in the use of Pro Channel presets, that is: they also work as a track model!

It is a feature request and one that could create a lot of problems for existing projects.

• Thanks 1

it would be nice to have a macro capability (maybe Auto Hot Keys?) so you could do repetitive things like scan over 50 tracks and update FX1 preset from saved preset. or "reset" the board, etc. - record a macro - save it - run when needed. or even a master macro - reload all presets from saved - to refresh a project. i wouldn't want it to be automatic though. that could easily cause mayhem...

3 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

it would be nice to have a macro capability (maybe Auto Hot Keys?) so you could do repetitive things like scan over 50 tracks and update FX1 preset from saved preset. or "reset" the board, etc. - record a macro - save it - run when needed. or even a master macro - reload all presets from saved - to refresh a project. i wouldn't want it to be automatic though. that could easily cause mayhem...

Hi

So I suggested something like an initialization variable or even something like scanning VSTs.

Something like update string fx.

I usually do 

strings 01 light processing

strings 02  medium processing 

strings 03 new version

etc

Then just reload you favorite.  I don’t think a global change is a good idea. I would creat havoc on older projects. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Eu costumo fazer

cordas 01 processamento de luz

cordas 02 processamento médio

strings 03 nova versão

etc

Então recarrege seu favorito. Não acho que uma mudança global seja uma boa ideia. Eu iria ranger estragos em projetos mais antigos.

Hi
That's why I gave the suggestions:

1) Use an update variable that makes this setting.
or
2) There is a procedure to be performed by the user to perform this update. Something like when searching for new VSTs, whether or not to update the fx strings to the updated settings.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:11 AM, scook said:

My suggestion is...

image.png.b53cf7ecb120b756dabe0aa7b764526a.png

in this option

image.png.9b17bd908844c3f4ea4d26c54946a7a5.png

Include two more boxes like:

[ x ] Update pro-channel presets

[ x ] Update FX Chains

What about VST presets - those too?  What about track templates that you may have used?  Why some and not the others?

I think this is a recipe for disaster in a lot of cases (I appreciate why you want it, but I think it would cause too many people problems for it to be a "safe" option to offer).

it would also be complicated because, how do you know if there are updates? the DLL usually have a version but presets? also, if the VST is updated, will older presets continue to work? this could end up causing a lot of errors, and by way of, lost work..

i'd go back to my recommendation of using a macro to scan and reload your VST and their presets rather than try to do this via the application. your macro could look like this:

- scan for VST - collect list

- scan for presets in VST - collect list per  VST

- [re]load VST - optional

- reload preset(s) - this is the main activity

- dump status and any errors into text file

@Milton Sica If you will create an FX Rack from your chain and save it as such, it will act as a personalized VST plugin.  You can also apply graphics to it, sliders, buttons, knobs and automate them to the corresponding plugins....if you really want to dig deeper into it with a few hours of your time to dedicate to it. 

This be my recommendation 

I understand your concerns about the subject but I think it would be a great option, especially when it comes to an execution/parametrization option made by the user. It would enter the next versions as the current default value, ie: with the same performance standard. If the user wanted to run this option in their project, they would. There are so many other features like this in the DAW. I don't understand so much concern when dealing with something that can be parameterized.

41 minutes ago, clovis said:

@Milton Sica If you will create an FX Rack from your chain and save it as such, it will act as a personalized VST plugin.  You can also apply graphics to it, sliders, buttons, knobs and automate them to the corresponding plugins....if you really want to dig deeper into it with a few hours of your time to dedicate to it. 

This be my recommendation 

I know how FX Chains work.

My suggestion is that as reported.