Plugin Windows hiding behind CbB UI on dual monitor

Billy86

I don't know if there's a fix for this or not, but... 

I'm using two monitors. Console view on the left, track view on the right. Nothing special. I like to have multiple Plugins open at once. In Preferences/File/VST Settings, I've unclicked the "Recycle Plugin Windows," so the check box is empty. I am able to have multiple plugins open. All good. 

BUT... I drag a plugin or two from the right monitor to the left monitor to spread things out. When I do, and then launch another plugin from the left monitor/Console View, any plugins that are already open on that monitor disappear behind the Console View GUI, and I have to minimize the Console View, drag the plugins to the right monitor, maximize the Console View on the left monitor, drag them back, and carry on.  Is there any kind of "Plugin GUI always on top" setting I'm missing?  Thanks! 

Argh. This is driving me crazy. On the left monitor where the Console View is, any click on anything (say, for example, a solo button) will send any open plug-in GUI behind the Console GUI. This behavior doesn’t happen on the right side monitor. Anyone dealing with this?

A year or so ago I was exploring an issue related to this IIRC.  I remember doing an awful lot of trial-and-error testing to try to see what was going on mainly because I have had successes with my Workspaces set up for two monitors.  I seem to recall the specific issue you are mentioning, but I don't recall if there was a "solution." I seem to recall confirming somethings.  If I am remembering this correctly, maybe the previous discussion will at least confirm the issue.  I will look for it.

Found the thread I had in mind. I will try to re-read the thread this evening to see if it relates to your current issue.

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to a possibly related thread

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

A year or so ago I was exploring an issue related to this IIRC.  I remember doing an awful lot of trial-and-error testing to try to see what was going on mainly because I have had successes with my Workspaces set up for two monitors.  I seem to recall the specific issue you are mentioning, but I don't recall if there was a "solution." I seem to recall confirming somethings.  If I am remembering this correctly, maybe the previous discussion will at least confirm the issue.  I will look for it.

Found the thread I had in mind. I will try to re-read the thread this evening to see if it relates to your current issue.

@Starship Krupa
@User 905133

This is it! The discussion/sleuthing you did a year ago boiled down to the EXACT issue I’m having: pinned plugins are not being closed, they are being hidden behind the CbB GUI on the second monitor on any mouse-click on that monitor screen. @Noel Borthwick @msmcleod was this determined to be a bug? Thank you!

• Like 1

It's not a "bug" as in "error in the coding," rather it's a behavior that most of us would like to have changed. I know it might come across as pedantic, but there is a distinction when communicating with software engineers (I used to earn my keep as a pro QA engineer). "Not working as designed (I usually look to the Reference Guide and web documentation to see how it's supposed to work)" "unimplemented feature," etc. The bakers are fond of the "expected behavior/actual behavior" lingo.

In our case here, expected behavior is that plug-in GUI's always sit atop any Cakewalk windows, actual behavior is that they drop behind floated windows on secondary monitors as soon as the floated window takes focus.

Which reminds me, I'm still seeing the behavior with Synth Rack and Help where they shoot up to the upper left corner of my primary monitor regardless of where the Cakewalk main window is. Expected behavior is that the darn things would just float right where they are, like the Browser does.

Not a developer here, so thanks for the nuance on the language... So... OUR "ie: the users" expected behavior is as you describe and what I would like, which is not the reality of the way it works... but the way it currently works disappearing behind the GUI on the second monitor is IS the developers "expected behavior" and would need altering to meet user expectations? 

This falls under the "requested feature" umbrella? Not a problem starting (or following up on that effort, if it's already been requested). It really is a PITA.