Is your snark sticky?

Bapu

After owning a snark tuner for many years it's become sticky all over. I wonder if the material has cancer related materials in it?

I threw it out and a new one arrives today.

My snark will no longer be sticky.

<taps fingers on desk waiting for a snarky reply from paulo>

• Haha 1

It's called booze you lush. 😛

There is a organization called 'AA' that can fix it.

But seriously I've had a snark for about 5 years and I have not noticed anything. ( except mine eats batteries )

I recently started using these about a month ago and so far I really like them and have not had to switch batteries yet.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NSMicroClip2PK--daddario-planet-waves-pw-ct-12tp-ns-micro-tuner-2-pack

Tuner.thumb.jpg.66061a7f0374bf30ff788e63e354e65f.jpg

Edited by CoveCamper

On a serious note (G#) what you are experiencing is usually caused by a chemical reaction. For example certain teflon based lubricants like Tri-Flow will do this to some types of rubber.

We used to use it on the scanner rails on copiers until we realized that the teflon separates from the fluid carrier and becomes sticky over time.

I mention this because our local guitar store used to sell it and labelled it 'all natural banana lube' for lubing the bridge and nut. Tri-Flow smells like that. They just re-bottled and relabelled it. So certain guitar lubes can cause that reaction. If you are changing strings and lubing and using your tuner to set up your guitar and get some on it it will get sticky iver time. My tuner is about 8 years old and still like new but I don't use any lubes on my guitars.

S1 has a stock tuner vst ... 😁

23 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

On a serious note (G#) what you are experiencing is usually caused by a chemical reaction. For example certain teflon based lubricants like Tri-Flow will do this to some types of rubber.

We used to use it on the scanner rails on copiers until we realized that the teflon separates from the fluid carrier and becomes sticky over time.

I mention this because our local guitar store used to sell it and labelled it 'all natural banana lube' for lubing the bridge and nut. Tri-Flow smells like that. They just re-bottled and relabelled it. So certain guitar lubes can cause that reaction. If you are changing strings and lubing and using your tuner to set up your guitar and get some on it it will get sticky iver time. My tuner is about 8 years old and still like new but I don't use any lubes on my guitars.

S1 has a stock tuner vst ... 😁

Should I be proud when I say I don't use any lubricants?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

After owning a snark tuner for many years it's become sticky all over. I wonder if the material has cancer related materials in it?

I threw it out and a new one arrives today.

My snark will no longer be sticky.

<taps fingers on desk waiting for a snarky reply from paulo>

Yep, happens to Snark tuners, some remotes, Playstation joysticks, etc. They all use the same material that has a nice touch for a few years, than boom it gets yucky!

Easy fix: a little rub with isopropyl alcohol 70% on a scott towel gets the gummy out without affecting the material too much. I have done it a few times and it works very well.

I tend not to do it to often though since it has the word alcohol on the bottle. I get confused easily...

When I was a kid we used to put a drop oil on the back tires of our slot cars and hold them in place at full throttle till they started to smoke. It made the rubber really sticky even after it cooled and you could take corners really fast without whipping your car off the track.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:58 PM, CoveCamper said:

It's called booze you lush. 😛

There is a organization called 'AA' that can fix it.

But seriously I've had a snark for about 5 years and I have not noticed anything. ( except mine eats batteries )

I recently started using these about a month ago and so far I really like them and have not had to switch batteries yet.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NSMicroClip2PK--daddario-planet-waves-pw-ct-12tp-ns-micro-tuner-2-pack

I  like using the  D'Addario NS Micro Headstock Tuner on my Bass

image.png.8a107bce7a4730b504a228ba888df44c.png

Edited by jesse g

59 minutes ago, craigb said:
1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

What is this 'tuning' you speak of?

I think it's when you have a couple of nings.

Yay!! CraigB (ITIHRN) finally says something genuinely almost witty 😁

I keed I keed. It was pretty sh1te 😊

• Haha 1