Input Device

Keith Wilby

Question

Hi all,

I'm currently using a pair of old Samson speakers as my input device (via USB) and it has occurred to me that I could probably do with something of better quality. Problem is that I know absolutely nothing on the subject - can you good people steer me in the right direction please?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

As your input device, you are referring to an audio interface? Yes? If yes, what are your needs and budget? how many inputs do you need? how many mic pre's do you need? how many outputs do you need/ do you need 5pin MIDI? Do you want USB or Thunderbolt? SPDIF connections? ADAT connections?

If you are referring to your Studio Monitors, do you want a sub with them? do you prefer 8" or 6.5" speakers/ whats the size of your room?

CJ

What are you doing more of, Audio or midi ?

I have to be honest, I've never seen a combo speakers / with input jacks thru USB. But I know Sampson has always been on the same level as a boom box :D

Focusrite makes a great, cost efficient, device in the Saffire range. You can pick up a used on for under a 100 bucks. A pair of JBL LSR308's are also pretty cheap used and will give you a little better idea of what the lower spectrum sounds like through good speakers (I have a good pair of both KRK and JBL's for mixing and mastering). Tracking I use a 100 watt crown through drivers/horns.