Angry Girl - Bandlab Rework - Updated Mix

Kevin Walsh

I guess I posted this song a few years ago on the old forum and I've reworked the mix and some instrumentation in this new version and I'd thought I'd make it my first post in the new songs forum. Let me know what you think!

https://www.bandlab.com/kevinwal/angry-girl-05473

Updated:

We'll I've re-worked the mix, trying to take into account the great feedback I've gotten. The same link above should take you to the new version. I've fixed some things that have always bugged me about the original mix and there are other things that I'm unsure about, so I'd appreciate just a  little more of your ear-time and comments on what's there now. Thanks again for everyone's great comments!

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bob Oister said:

Hi, Kevin,

This is a really cool pop rocker!🙂

Well written and arranged, great musicianship, excellent vocals and harmonies, nice guitar work and a clean, wide, fresh sounding mix.

Great stuff!🙂

Have a rockin' weekend!
Bob

Thanks for the kind feedback, Bob! That say a lot coming from the master of great vocals, harmonies, arrangements and mixes, I'm humbled!

11 hours ago, Skyline_UK said:

A terrific track Kevin, I loved the guitar sounds and the superb vocal harmonies, all just up my street!  Do I detect a liking for Steve Miller?

The track was excellently engineered as well, great job all round.

John

John, I'm grateful to you for listening, and I thank you for the nice comments. Yup, I do like Steve Miller a lot.  I used "Living in the USA" as one of two reference tracks for the mix. Strangely enough, I used Atlanta Rhythm Section's "Champagne Jam" for the second one. I didn't come anywhere close to either one of those but I got a vibe I liked and that's enough for me.

• Like 1

Thank you, Lynn, I appreciate your feedback, particularly about my voice. Its been a very long road to get from hideous wailing to something I'm not too ashamed to post. And I still have a long way to go.

The guitars are all direct recorded into Guitar Rig 5. I also own S-Gear and Helix Native and Overloud TH3, and I like them fine,  but I I love Guitar Rig 5. I just find it easy to get good tones out of it. 

Thanks!

Great job, Kevin. I think I've heard this before -- if I haven't, it just shows it has a great hook, cuz it's familiar to me the first time through. I'm embarrassed to ask: is there a drummer on this? Drums sound great, human or machine. Classic rock'n'roll mix, everything in my face, but everything clear.

6 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

Great job, Kevin. I think I've heard this before -- if I haven't, it just shows it has a great hook, cuz it's familiar to me the first time through. I'm embarrassed to ask: is there a drummer on this? Drums sound great, human or machine. Classic rock'n'roll mix, everything in my face, but everything clear.

Larry, like I said I posted this a long while ago on the old forum so it's likely that you have heard it. It's gone through some polishing since then with bits and pieces being re-worked, all in CbB, so I thought I'd post it here to celebrate my putting this one to bed finally.

The drums are Addictive Drums with midi bits stolen from various midi paks available from XLN, with a lot of hand tweaking on my part here and there. Drums and bass are the toughest parts to get right and the XLN midi paks are done by human drummers and that makes all the difference.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment, thanks!