What can cause a loud chirping fast metronome error sound in CbB?

gmp

Question

In the last week I started hearing a very loud chirping sound just show up intermittently. Many times while the transport is stopped, It sounds like digital 1 cycle sawtooth wave metronome, very staccato. it's 166 BPM 1/8 notes,

It's constant and won't stop until I close the CbB CWP song file. I have this sound recorded if any one would like to hear it.

It appears to be hardware related, because I can revert to an old image file months ago before I heard this sound and it appears there too. CbB has to be open for it to occur. Even Sonar Platinum does it.  I thought it was my Ultralite AVB, but I turned it off and installed my old Layla 24 sound card and it happened with it also.

I thought I had it solved by deleting all Kontakt soft synths from the synth rack, and that seemed to help quite a lot but then it came back today even with Kontakt gone. Yet is was better.

I'm beginning to think it's possibly a computer error notification. It doesn't sound like the CbB metronome. Is there any kind of computer testing I can do that may show what this is?

If anyone has any clues or experience with a sound like this. Where is it coming from: CbB, the computer, USB ports, bad SATA cable, high temperature or what? If anyone has an ideas, please chime in. I'm baffled.

9 answers to this question

Turning off the audio engine is a lot better workaround than closing and reopening the file - thanks for the tip. Just so everyone can hear the sound here it is

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=C256E2DAE26B22A5!105&cid=C256E2DAE26B22A5

NOTTINGHAM DANCIN' IN THE HALLWAY edited vocal.mp3 - This is the chirping metronome sound. This was unnerving since it ended up on an exported rough mix without me knowing about it or hearing a chirping sound

CLICKING - DULL.mp3 - This one seemed to come from a Kontakt soft synth. Sometimes the soft synth sound would turn into static and later it would start the constant metronome with the dull sound

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Kontakt. I'm wondering if the dongle is malfunctioning and that sound is an error sound so no one can use Kontakt if they're not authorized.

I do have a powered USB hub because I have several dongles (including Kontakt), 2 USB printers, etc. I'm wondering if it's a USB malfunction.

I don't see how it could be RF interference or my cell phone. I haven't done anything different that I can think of. I've been using Cakewalk - Sonar since 1992 and CbB since it came out last April and have never had this strange constant metronome. I left a song up in CbB the other day and was fixing lunch downstairs and heard this weird sound and it was the chirping. It often happens when nothing is going on.

Deleting Kontakt from the projects at least has greatly reduced it happening. A few days before it was happening about every 5 min.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I get a loud buzz very occasionally, which sounds similar to what you're getting.

Turning the audio engine on/off stops it and everything returns to normal:

image.png.0f351312b6b749dff0cc6fb88d25b1d8.png

Great tip. Do you know what's causing your buzz?  Does it sound anything like these examples I've recorded? https://onedrive.live.com/?id=C256E2DAE26B22A5!105&cid=C256E2DAE26B22A5

Just now, gmp said:

Great tip. Do you know what's causing your buzz?  Does it sound anything like these examples I've recorded? https://onedrive.live.com/?id=C256E2DAE26B22A5!105&cid=C256E2DAE26B22A5

No, my buzzing is different to that. I'm not sure what causes it, but it happens if I start/stop a project lots.

Your chirping sound is similar to  an ADAT signal when the wordclock signal has been lost, or the optical cable is loose.

If the workaround works for you, then the underlying cause might be the same - i.e. some driver initialisation/re-initialisation issue.

After tons of testing finally realized that the unusual chirping was caused by my template. I had to go back to an earlier template and build it back up. This explains why reverting to an old image file didn't solve the problem. After that I thought it must be a hardware problem.

I've had problems in the past with templates becoming corrupt but never anything this bizarre.

Above is my Monday post. I thought I had this problem solved, but I was wrong. Today on Saturday I posted this, which explains how and why this happened. It was caused by the new Breverb