i recorded a guitar track in a slow tempo of about 50 bpm.. now im stuck at changing the speed of the recorded track to 94bpm..

the desired tempo was 94 bpm..since i  am not a good guitar player i played it at a slow tempo of 50 bpm hoping to stretch or increase the tempo of the clip to the desired tempo.. is there a way to achieve the result

the initial audio was recorded to a click

Edited by Arshad Aquif

Select the clip, show clip properties in the inspector, and expand the Audiosnap section. Check the Enable box, set the Follow Option to Autostrech, and then enable Follow Project Tempo.  Change the project tempo, and the clip will follow it. You'll want to experiment with the different online (realtime, non-destructive rendering on playback) and offline (used when exporting or bouncing) stretching algorithms to get the best result.

It depends on what you're playing, of course, but I usually find that 70-80% of the target tempo is slow enough, and allows me to play more naturally than 50%. The less you stretch/compress the audio the better.

This is typically how I'd do this:

stretch_to_tempo.gif

If I'm doing this in an existing project, I'll normally pick some blank space after end of the project (say 16 measures after the end). I'll add a tempo change at that point, setting it to the slow tempo, record the track, then cut/paste the clip into the part where it's playing the faster tempo. Then I'll use CTRL+SHIFT to stretch it to fit... and try to remember to delete the tempo change I added at the end!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 12:57 AM, msmcleod said:

This is typically how I'd do this:

stretch_to_tempo.gif

If I'm doing this in an existing project, I'll normally pick some blank space after end of the project (say 16 measures after the end). I'll add a tempo change at that point, setting it to the slow tempo, record the track, then cut/paste the clip into the part where it's playing the faster tempo. Then I'll use CTRL+SHIFT to stretch it to fit... and try to remember to delete the tempo change I added at the end!

Does it work perfectly?

On 6/12/2021 at 6:19 AM, fitzj said:

Does it work perfectly?

It depends on how "smart" you do the trick :D
For example, if your target final tempo is 94BPM, instead of record it initially in 50BPM, you will get better result recording it in 47BPM (94BPM/2).
Therefore you only need to "double" the speed to achieve 94BPM.
Once you record your material in 47BPM, trim the beginning and the end of the clip to nearest measure. Note on how many measure the clip length occupy. For example, if the clip length occupy 50 measures, then ctrl+shift + drag the end of the clip 25 measures to the left (to stretch it half the length just like Mark showed on his video above). Check if it works as desired. You may need to practice this method for sometime, when you get the idea, you can expect better result.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, James Argo said:

It depends on how "smart" you do the trick :D
For example, if your target final tempo is 94BPM, instead of record it initially in 50BPM, you will get better result recording it in 47BPM (94BPM/2).
Therefore you only need to "double" the speed to achieve 94BPM.
Once you record your material in 47BPM, trim the beginning and the end of the clip to nearest measure. Note on how many measure the clip length occupy. For example, if the clip length occupy 50 measures, then ctrl+shift + drag the end of the clip 25 measures to the left (to stretch it half the length just like Mark showed on his video above). Check if it works as desired. You may need to practice this method for sometime, when you get the idea, you can expect better result.

Cheers.

Whilst this is true, it basically boils down to this:

1.  Take a note of the measure the clip ended on before you change tempo
2.  After changing tempo, you want to stretch it so it ends it on exactly the same measure as it did before.

This is why I recommend slip editing to end exactly on a measure boundary before doing the stretch.

On 6/12/2021 at 12:19 AM, fitzj said:

Does it work perfectly?

As a general rule, the bigger the change in length, the worse the quality is going to be.

There are different stretch algorithms that do a better/worse job depending on the type of material you're stretching.  Also there's an offline / online method - where online is what you'll hear doing what is showed in my video, and offline is what is used when using bounce to clip(s) and exporting.

By default, the online algorithms are quick but average in quality. It's designed to make editing quick.

The default offline algorithms are slower, but much better quality.  There's nothing to stop you changing them to be the same however (i.e. make  both online/offline the slower, high quality versions).

You can change the methods in preferences:

image.png.ffda9b2d22fa673864952c068dd44cde.png