Weird clip behaviour - anyone ever seen this? SOLVED (kind of)

paulo

1 small backing vocal clip on a track with others within a project.

Open the project and play and 1st time round it plays as you would expect it to.

Play it again and no sound from that clip only - everything else is fine. The only way that clip will sound again is to close the project and re-open. Next play it's silent again.

Copy/move it to another track - same result but it also silences all the other clips on those tracks after the first play.

Try to open it in melodyne and it comes up blank.

So it's there, I can see it, it plays once only, then nada and melodyne thinks it's empty.

WTF?

Not the end of the world or anything, I can record it again easily enough, but just wondered how this can happen.

2020.09 if it matters.

Edited by paulo

16 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Pretty weird symptoms. Maybe try Bounce to Clips before the first playback to render a new file. If it doesn't help, or breaks first-time playback, don't re-save the project.

Sure is a strange one. I already tried the bounce. It still looked  the same (as you would expect) and it made no difference.

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Definitely not expected behavior, so it might be a nice thing to submit the project to the devs with instructions on how to reproduce the issue.

I'm sure they've got much better things to do.....and if not, then why not ? 😁

As I said it's no biggie and easy enough to record it again, I was just curious if anyone else had ever experienced it. 

1 hour ago, paulo said:

I'm sure they've got much better things to do.....and if not, then why not ? 😁

As I said it's no biggie and easy enough to record it again, I was just curious if anyone else had ever experienced it. 

Hi Paulo,

If this anomaly is reproducible, then I would certainly report it to the Bakers.  That might save frustration for a lot of other users.

Kind regards,

tecknot

33 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Only other thing I can think of is some automation weirdness. Is there any track or clip automation that might be getting copied over to the new track?

Nothing like that. Today I tried putting that clip and only that clip in a brand new project and it still happened, so clearly something to do with the clip rather than the project and seemingly only something that was triggered by the clip ending as it always played ok first time, It was a very short clip so not much room for editing, but in a fresh opening of the new project and before doing anything else I applied a fade at the end of the clip and then bounced to clip to get rid of the very end of the clip and there you go....it plays every time an melodyne was able to pick it up too.

No idea why a tiny fade like that should make any difference, but clearly it did.

9 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Definitely not expected behavior, so it might be a nice thing to submit the project to the devs with instructions on how to reproduce the issue.

4 hours ago, tecknot said:

If this anomaly is reproducible, then I would certainly report it to the Bakers.  That might save frustration for a lot of other users.

The issue was the clip for whatever reason. I suspect that means that there's nothing for the devs to see. 

18 hours ago, paulo said:

The issue was the clip for whatever reason. I suspect that means that there's nothing for the devs to see. 

I don't know about that. Playback is basically a matter of reading a file, but also subject to whatever clip properties are associated with that file.  It seems likely the file itself was fine, but something about the clip properties was breaking/silencing playback. Cakewalk owns the creation, storage, and interpretation of its own clip properties so this could well be on the Bakers.

To test this hypothesis, I would import the original audio file into a new project rather than copying the clip from one project to another. Unless you've 'cleaned' the project folder, that original file should still be there.

Even if that still failed, it would be enlightening to know what it is about the file that's confusing Cakewalk. and might still lead to some kind of fix .

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

I would import the original audio file into a new project rather than copying the clip from one project to another

The file is/was the clip. There was never anything else to it - literally just four notes of backing vox recorded directly into the project..

Anyway, it's all good now. If it happens again I'll bring it up again, but that's the first time in 15+ years of using CW, so chances are that it won't.

I can confirm this same thing happened to me yesterday.  I had an audio clip (vocal) that ran the full length of the project.  Split it into three sections so as to clean up several sections of silence via slip editing.   I then split one of those clips, about a full measure long, and dragged it down to a another clear audio track.  My intention was to apply processing to that clip only.  It was completely silent, no signal, nothing.  tried copy and paste.  No dice.

I ended up leaving the clip in the original track and using clip FX to add the plugin and this works.  No idea what is going on but since I had success with clip FX I am on my way so no harm no foul.  

• Thanks 1