Sidechain does nothing

Michael John

Question

10 answers to this question

I don't do this, but I did test it several years ago, possibly with several different methods/plug-ins.  IIRC for Sonitus I followed the steps here.  (Or it might have been another of his articles.) Its been a while and there are others here who can probably look at what you've done and diagnose what you are doing.  In the meantime, maybe Craig Anderton's SOS article will provide some insights.

Just tried to reconstruct what I had done and it is not happening.

Edited by User 905133
update

Yesterday  I sent 12 tracks to a new bus.  In the new busses  pro channel , I "enabled" the side chain switch on the bus compressor.  Opened the mixer view and added a send from the main vocal track to that bus compressor. Adjusted the compressor to duck all 12 tracks with the vocals.  I've never done it with the Sonitus compressor . Is the side chain enabled on it with a send feeding it ?   I couldn't tell on the video.   Good luck ..     ms

Mark, do I need to enable the side chain on the Sonitus compressor? I thought it was automatically enabled. The thing is I can use the side chain effect if I create a new project, but it is just this project I am not able to use it the way I want...

Michael , Yes ..  If a compressor is capable of side chaining ,  it will have a way to enable it "somewhere".  I'm not at my DAW and can't check the Sonitus compressor . Are you trying to use the Multiband Comp.?  The pro channel compressor works well.   Look in the tutorials section for side chaining . The tutorials here on this site are normally Very good.   "Creative Sauce" has some Great ones.   mark

No switches turn on/off sidechain in Sonitus. 

If there is a send to the plug-in, it listens.

Notice the output button becomes enabled when sidechain is active. This is for switching between the regular output and the sidechain signal. 

Turn off all soloing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

No switches turn on/off sidechain in Sonitus. 

If there is a send to the plug-in, it listens to it.

Notice the output button becomes enabled when sidechain is active. This is for switching between the regular output and the sidechain signal. 

Turn off all soloing.

I turned of all soloing and it is working, but really... What if want to listen to just the sidechain tracks to hear whats going on? Any suggestions?

On 6/2/2021 at 3:20 AM, Michael John said:

I am new to Cakewalk by Bandlab and I am trying to sidechain my kick to my bass where when the kick hits the bass ducks. I have wtached tutorials online but when I attempt it nothing happens.  Please see link. Can anyone help?

Edited by Will_Kaydo