Selective Latency On VST Instruments

mdiemer

I use several Vst instruments, Garritan, East West, Vienna, and Cinematic Strings. Latency is fine on all but vienna. Ever since I have used their libraries, there is this maddening latency. I just got my first Synchron library with them, and hoped I would not experience this, but it is on that as well, just like the regular Vienna player. Adjusting latency in CbB doesn't seem to do anything. The result is that my Vienna sounds lag behind the others, which sounds terrible. I try to use the slide feature, but it doesn't help. It's like they just insist on being late! Can anyone shed some light on what is going on here?

Thank you,

Mike

Yep, it sure does help, scook. you did it again! the best thing is, the notes still display correctly in staff view. I found I had to use a value of -10 to even it out with the other instruments. I'm going to post this on the Vienna forum, for any CW users there (or anyone at all who might have this problem). 

Edit: the time I have to set varies with the instrument, the strings being the worst. Also, some of my East West Inst's. hve the problem too. 

I feel so stupid. This is probably a midi 101 thing...

Edited by mdiemer

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2019 at 7:57 PM, mdiemer said:

Yep, it sure does help, scook. you did it again! the best thing is, the notes still display correctly in staff view. I found I had to use a value of -10 to even it out with the other instruments. I'm going to post this on the Vienna forum, for any CW users there (or anyone at all who might have this problem). 

Edit: the time I have to set varies with the instrument, the strings being the worst. Also, some of my East West Inst's. hve the problem too. 

I feel so stupid. This is probably a midi 101 thing...

Ok..so we can both feel stupid .  I'd no idea about this but what a great tip.    Im having a latency issue also so need to try this.  Great job Skook.

The weird thing is, the problem seems to be resolving itself somehow. Now that I think of it, this has happened before. I used to deal it by using the slide or nudge feature, but after awhile I wouldn't need to do it anymore. As if the instruments settled in somehow, or Cakewalk/Sonar mysteriously adjusted. I'm now finding that instruments I had to set back 10-20 values in the timing feature, now are fine at zero or just -5 or so. I have no idea what's going on here. Maybe benevolent gremlins in my computer?