How to humanize a 100% quantized midi?

Rogério

Question

I have a 100% quantized midi track.
I want to create a tempo variation, based on a manual tap of my keyboard.
Apparently Fit Improvisation does the opposite, that is, if I had a midi track that is NOT quantized and I wanted to make it quantized using a reference track with the beat.
How can I do this?

Edited by Rogério

6 answers to this question

Open the tempo view and manually change the tempo. Not sure if it's possible to use tap tempo as the song plays but not hard just enter new tempos.

You might need to read the new release info on Tempo track because everything is different now. You used to be able to draw it and now this is done with envelopes. 

Screenshot (131).png

Edited by John Vere

13 minutes ago, John Vere said:

manually change the tempo

Thanks, but my question is exactly how to create a tempo by tapping it on the keyboard, as it is done currently in Fit Improvisation.

This is because the tempo variation is more intuitive this way.

Fit Improv will do what you want, but you'll have to do it in a new project, or take the existing MIDI out of the project temporarily, and bring it back in because Fit Improv presupposes that everything already in the project will be in sync with your guide track, and is just going to change tempos to fit the guide track without affecting the absolute playback timing of any existing material. It will probably be easiest to just open a new project, tap out your guide track, execute Fit Improv, and then copy-paste the tempos from that project into the one with your existing MIDI.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if CSHumanize MidiFX Plugin would be helpful? I haven't used it but I did add it to my Cakewalk MIDI FX. I've only dabbled in MIDI so I can't really assess it's performance but thought it might be useful. Adding it to Cakewalk was pretty easy once I understood the process with a lot of help from @scook as detailed in the thread below.

I still do quite a bit of humanizing by using Cal routines.   By humanizing,  I consider subtle changes by randomizing the time and velocity removes the static repeated alignment of instruments and sample transients . I run the random time cal and vary the ticks amount by 3-4 ticks. Vary Velocity - I might run the velocity ranges at +/-  10 near where the base values are and. Them I do a couple of passes and manually randomize the tempo by +/-  2-3 from the nominal. This gets me a start at adding some random variation. Then I do a couple of playback sequences and just start fine tuning things. I never use a grid in composition, and I ignore it completely when trying to humanize a track.

@Rogério  - I don't do this very often, but this is how I do it.

1. Mute all the tracks
2. Create a new drum instrument track (SI Drums is fine for this)
3. Ensure the metronome is on, and record 2 measures of side stick
4. Turn the metronome off
5. Create a new MIDI track, route it to the SI drums track and arm it for record.
6. Hit record.  Let the 2 measure intro play,  then I "continue" the metronome myself by hitting the side-stick key at each beat while I sing or hum the song through without any backing
7. Once I'm done, I shift the MIDI track back 2 measures (so it starts at measure 1)
8. Select the MIDI track I've just recorded, and select Project->Fit to Improvisation.

• Like 1