Presonus Retro Mix Legends

cclarry

For better or for worse, modern music often just doesn’t sound like our favorite classic hits. That’s true partly because zillions of classic records were recorded on vintage analog hardware with the artifacts, non-linearities, and tonal imperfections that the digital era tried so very hard to stomp out. Retro Mix Legends takes advantage of Studio One’s unique Mix Engine FX processing to bring the classic analog sounds of three classic consoles to your modern desktop mix. Mix Engine FX is a proprietary signal routing technology that affects your music across all Console channels, rather than just in a single channel. These aren’t stereo bus plug-ins; Alpine Desk, Brit Console, and Porta Cassette are able to tap into individual signals from any channel to transform any mix with the State Space Modeled tonality behind the sound of classic albums from the 70s, 80s and beyond.

$79.95

https://www.presonus.com/products/Retro-Mix-Legends

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monomox said:

this is only compatible with Studio One 

Specifically, this is only compatible with Studio One Professional.

Before, only Softube Tape and PreSonus CTC-1 utilized the Mix Engine FX.  Seems that this replaces CTC-1.  Glad they're still developing the feature.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mibby said:

No, this adds to it!  🙂   More flavors!  

Any ideas what consoles Console Shaper, CTC-1, and Retro Mix Legends map to?  There's no overlap?

3 hours ago, ALC said:

Any ideas what consoles Console Shaper, CTC-1, and Retro Mix Legends map to?  There's no overlap?

Not offhand, sorry. There are a few YT videos on CTC-1, and they DO sound different.   It's good to see them adding more of the Mix Engine FX. 

I am only an occasional studio one user but from the videos on the add-ons might guess:

the new Retro Mix Legends consoles are likely Alpine=API, Brit Console=SSL (two variants, "warm" 80s = 4000E and more pristine=9000J? but that's just a guess), and Porta=Tascam Portastudio which is an unique choice

The CTC-1 has a vintage british console that is probably Neve, and a british tube console from the 50s housed in "one of the most popular recording studios in the world;" maybe the EMI REDD at Abbey Road? The Custom console, they say, is a "frankenstein" of various consoles and sounds hi-fi.

Edited by mister_tea
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, cclarry said:

For better or for worse, modern music often just doesn’t sound like our favorite classic hits. That’s true partly because zillions of classic records were recorded on vintage analog hardware with the artifacts, non-linearities, and tonal imperfections that the digital era tried so very hard to stomp out.

Just come to my studio you spoiled children of the digital age and I'll stomp them right back in, and as a true display of irreplaceable talent I'll do it inadvertently.

• Like 2

An update, I decided to try the Brit Console on a couple of mixed I was finalising. I liked what it did and I am keeping it in there.

The effect is subtle but it dose add some "glue" for want of a better word. The most noticeable effect was a greatly increased export time, probably twice that of the export with out the effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1