No audio playback using WASAPI driver mode

Dave G

Question

[Some users have helped me with this issue in a different Topic, but I thought it deserved its own thread here.]

While using WASAPI, there's no audio playback although the Track meters are moving. Previously, I've used MME and ASIO4ALL flawlessly.

I've tried the following:

1.   Experimented in Sonar, CbB, and Studio One v4 (but no WASAPI option there)
  2.   Switched between WASAPI "Exclusive" and "Shared"
  3.   Confirmed the sample rate is 24-bit 48K in both Sound Settings and in Sonar/Cakewalk
  4.   Checked/unchecked "Suspend Audio Engine..." in [Audio --> Playback and Recording]
  5.   Disabled/re-enabled the Audio Engine button and exited/restarted the program
  6.   Confirmed each Instrument Track is output to Master Bus, and the Master Bus is output to RealTek

As you can see, I've tried everything short of reformatting my hard drive and starting all over. What else is there?

I've learned that WASAPI is the suggested Driver Mode for my onboard audio configuration. I'm still in the amateur stages of my music projects, so I don't want to rush into buying an audio interface (yet) just to use ASIO4ALL.

** Screenshots of my Windows Sound and CbB Preferences are attached.

Any help towards a resolution would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

Device.PNG

Edited by Dave G

7 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, michheld said:

Have you tried de-selecting "Realtek Digital Output" and selecting "Speakers..." on the first page? Always first de-select, then select audio devices... 😉

As you instructed, per the Output Drivers in my first screenshot, I unchecked RealTek and checked the first (and only the first) Speakers option. I'm getting playback now! And it sounds very clean. (Confirmed with Sonar and CbB, and in more than one project.)

I don't know how I wrestled with this the past few days. I'm using WASAPI for the first time! Feels like a fluke; so if this acts up again, I'll post back here.

Thanks for your tip! :)

d.PNG

Edited by Dave G
  • Like 1

Are you using the digital output? Probably not. Because that is the only box checked in audio device outputs it will be the default in your master buss and you won't hear anything from your speakers.    Cakewalk goes to the top of the list and will select that as the master buss output.  I show you all of this in this video if you haven't watched it yet do so. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Are you using the digital output? Probably not. Because that is the only box checked in audio device outputs it will be the default in your master buss and you won't hear anything from your speakers.    Cakewalk goes to the top of the list and will select that as the master buss output.  I show you all of this in this video if you haven't watched it yet do so.

I actually did change the Output Driver to the Speaker(s), and that naturally was the solution.

I did watch your video. It was very informative and easy to understand! Thank you for including that, as that helped very much.

• Like 1

In this part of the forum, it is handy, when a question is answered, to select the best answer by clicking the check next to the reply

It let's everyone know there is a solution posted to the question.

I checked this one for you

thanks

• Like 1

This is in response to the problem and solution presented in your blogs.

Problem: No sound output after switching Audio Setup driver mode from ASIO to WASAPI (Shared or Exclusive).  Mixer meters show activity, but no sound to output buss.

Solution: In Audio Setup, switch Output Device selection from Digital Output device to to Speakers (this would be analog mode). Cakewalk automatically reselects digital output when you change ASIO to WASAPI. You must correct for this as in the above mentioned.

Amazing -- problem solved!

I am thanking you with high accolades for solving this problem.  Awesome!

You guys have saved me a lot of trouble.  And I'm sure you have helped many others as well.

Kudos,

Ray