Plugin Boutique June Freebie - Presonus Fat Channel XT

cclarry

1 hour ago, Jürgen B. said:

Hm, slightly different problem on my system:

Immediately after installing and activating FatChannel XT via PreSonus Hub, the plugin worked fine within CbB.

After a couple of days, I noticed that CbB checks "PreSonus VST3 Shell.vst3" on every startup, although the installation did not change. The plugin is not visible within CbB. The Cakewalk Plugin Manager doesn't show it, neither in the active nor in the excluded list.

Updating CbB to 2021.06 did not change the behavior.

In Reaper the plugin is available and works as desired.

Any ideas?

A VST3 Shell is also what Waves uses for all of it's plugins. That behavior is normal. CbB has to check them at at every scan, otherwise there is no way to know what plugins may have changed in the Shell since the last scan.

You can completely disable CbB plugin scans at startup if you wish. If the plugins are working fine in CbB, then there is no problem.

2 hours ago, abacab said:

A VST3 Shell is also what Waves uses for all of it's plugins. That behavior is normal. CbB has to check them at at every scan, otherwise there is no way to know what plugins may have changed in the Shell since the last scan.

You can completely disable CbB plugin scans at startup if you wish. If the plugins are working fine in CbB, then there is no problem.

Not possible for GAS infected family 😛

We are constantly adding new ones and updating zylion of already owned :)

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Piotr said:

Not possible for GAS infected family 😛

We are constantly adding new ones and updating zylion of already owned :)

This too true. I often disable plugin scans only to immediately need to enable them again the next time I run the program.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, abacab said:

A VST3 Shell is also what Waves uses for all of it's plugins. That behavior is normal.

The only difference that I noticed with Waves' shell compared to Reaper is:

if I don't insert my Waves authorisation USB stick and start a plugin scan, then in Reaper there is no interruption (Waves shell is just skipped) and in CbB/Sonar I have always to click skip in a message box! This is a bit annoying, 'cause I know that there is no new Waves plugin!

20 hours ago, abacab said:

You can completely disable CbB plugin scans at startup if you wish.

This is what I would recommend to everybody, 'cos normally you know when you added a new plugin and then you can start the scan manually! Like that startup time is improved! I don't see much sense in automatic plugin scanning! 😄

On 7/6/2021 at 3:56 PM, marled said:

This is what I would recommend to everybody, 'cos normally you know when you added a new plugin and then you can start the scan manually! Like that startup time is improved! I don't see much sense in automatic plugin scanning! 😄

It's a shame that some other DAW makers don't offer this option (I'm looking at you Magix) - every time I start Sound Forge I have to go through a plugin scan - one time something went pear-shaped and I my entire VST folder got corrupted. Spent most of a week reinstalling my VSTs. :(

Edited by Philip G Hunt

2 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

It's a shame that some other DAW makers don't offer this option (I'm looking at you Margix) - every time I start Sound Forge I have to go through a plugin scan - one time something went pear-shaped and I my entire VST folder got corrupted. Spent most of a week reinstalling my VSTs. :(

This from another thread related to Magix SoundForge:

In order to bypass the search of existing VST plug-ins on your machine during the startup process, please try the following: 

Right-click on the application's launch icon.
Select 'Properties'
Add the following command outside of the quotes in the Target field: /NOVSTGROVEL
Select Apply and then OK.
Be sure to include a space between the last quote and the beginning of the command line argument.

Hope this helps. It worked for me on Win 10/SF 12 Pro

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

It's a shame that some other DAW makers don't offer this option (I'm looking at you Margix) - every time I start Sound Forge I have to go through a plugin scan - one time something went pear-shaped and I my entire VST folder got corrupted. Spent most of a week reinstalling my VSTs. :(

There is a hack somewhere to make the SoundForge one stop.  I know I found out about it in a thread here somewhere.

Edit:  this the post above is the solution..

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 4:52 PM, abacab said:

Makes sense. Cakewalk applied some new plugin scan rules a while back to prevent inadvertent scanning of anything but legit VST3 plugins in the VST3 folder.

Hi everybody, I have the same problem with the FatChannelXT - it gets picked by by CbB the first time it is installed. When I close CbB and run it again though, the plugin is nowhere to be found. I followed your suggestions - I renamed the Presonus shell folder, deleted the folder-name .vst3 suffix, even renamed the actual shell file so that it is not the same as the parent folder, etc. After each renaming change, the XT plugin is found and usable, but unfortunately, once I close the DAW and run it again, the CbB plugin scanner just ignores it and it and the plugin can not be used😞 Any other ideas, please, anyone?

FatChannel XT is working fine here in CbB. Didn't have to do anything special to get it to work in CbB, other than getting it installed and fully activated in PreSonus Hub.

Prior to that (proper activation), it wouldn't work in any DAW.

18 hours ago, abacab said:

FatChannel XT is working fine here in CbB. Didn't have to do anything special to get it to work in CbB, other than getting it installed and fully activated in PreSonus Hub.

Prior to that (proper activation), it wouldn't work in any DAW.

Thank you, all properly activated (and re-installed and re-activated several times...) on my side, but still with the same result as above. Thank you for checking...

1 hour ago, dolphinal said:

Thank you, all properly activated (and re-installed and re-activated several times...) on my side, but still with the same result as above. Thank you for checking...

Just curious, do you happen to have another DAW program to test FatChannel in?

The simplest way to get one is to use the free Reaper trial version. It's a quick and light download, and won't clutter up your PC. It's only 14.1MB. Yes, MB!!!

https://www.reaper.fm/

If the FatChannel plugin works in another program, then that would confirm the installation is good. And also isolates the problem to your Cakewalk setup.

29 minutes ago, abacab said:

Just curious, do you happen to have another DAW program to test FatChannel in?

The simplest way to get one is to use the free Reaper trial version. It's a quick and light download, and won't clutter up your PC. It's only 14.1MB. Yes, MB!!!

https://www.reaper.fm/

If the FatChannel plugin works in another program, then that would confirm the installation is good. And also isolates the problem to your Cakewalk setup.

I used to use Reaper years ago ;) Yep, thanks, tested it now, FatChannel is happily sitting  among VST3 effects in Reaper right now and working without any problems. In Cakewalk, however, it is not present among VST3 effects unless I (once again) rename one of the folders the Presonus shell file is located  in, or I rename the actual shell file itself.  All that only works temporarily, though. When Cakewalk is closed and restarted, the FatChannel is gone from the plugin list again. 

On 6/17/2021 at 6:36 AM, Starship Krupa said:

removing the .VST3 suffix from the name of the folder it installs into under Program Files/Common Files/VST3.

I posted this solution in this thread, 3 weeks ago. Have you tried it?

Look in Program Files/Common Files/VST3 to find the Presonus VST3 Shell.vst3 folder. Rename it to "Presonus VST3 Shell". Start Cakewalk, and the plug-in will be available.

• Like 2

Hello, yes I have - as mentioned above, but this solution (renaming the Presonus VST3 Shell file / deleting the vst3 suffix) unfortunately only works temporarily. Once I exit Cakewalk and re-run it (with the plugins getting scanned), we are back to square one - the FatChannel is gone. Are you sure this fixed things for you permanently, please?

Edited by dolphinal
edited to clarify