Gig Performer 4

cclarry

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

The fact they are offering it also for those that got the free Ampeg sounds generous to me.   

Still sounds like PA offered options to get it cheaper than through GP....why are people bashing PA again?

It is! It is generous towards everyone with the exception of people that bought the very same software they are selling the upgrade to.  Again, not one cent of the money you put for the earlier version goes towards the upgrade. None. Anyone gets the same price. On top of that, they did a huge sale with the clear intention of having people pay twice. Which, hopefully, won't work.

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Maybe those who paid for the Ampeg should complain that PA gave it away for free.

It was free at launch, with a pretty huge (for audio software, at least) marketing campaign behind it . It was pretty generous, for sure, and it's a good piece of software. But I doubt anyone will actually spend money on it, as it is a stripped down version made for the purpose of the marketing campaign and it costs almost as much as the full version.

5 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Agree 100%. It is only entitlement to think you should get a free upgrade when paying $25 for a $169 item. You do realize that it is more than PA involved here. Deskew also has to make a living as well. Gig Performer 3 is fine bit of kit and is worth far more than the $25 I paid for it. I was happy to get it for that price. Would you complain when you buy a 2021 car at a discount just before the 2022 models comes out with more features and then didn't get a free upgrade to the 2022 model?

I never understood how people apply these "theories" to software.  It was a shit business move by both parties.  It appears the majority in this thread are not happy. I've seen many developers reduce the price of a current version and let you know a new version is coming up.  Reason Studios just did a 30% off and get Reason 12 for free if you bought version 11.   No matter how you try to size up by price paid, throw in the word "entitlement", it was a shit business move.  There would be less complaints if it were buy this version for this amount of money and get the new version free.

In reality I should not let their business decision bother me.  It's just another app that I rarely use.  It's these type of actions that create more enemies than friends.  I will just add them to a list of cautionary purchases.   

Edited by Paul Young

27 minutes ago, jjattar said:

It is! It is generous towards everyone with the exception of people that bought the very same software they are selling the upgrade to. 

Right. So I shouldn't be generous unless I can be generous to everyone. 

Look. I bought GP3 at the $25 level with a voucher. I wasn't pissed when they sold it a couple of weeks later at the $15 level. That is life. 

4 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

I never understood how people apply these "theories" to software.  It was a shit business move by both parties.  It appears the majority in this thread are not happy. 

I can never understand why people think the value of something is a physical product and so does not apply to software. That is same argument people use when they download and use commercial software they did not pay for. When you pay for a software license, you are paying for the engineering, the software development and the testing, and the documentation that goes into producing a product. That goes for upgrades as well. 

Not sure why you think the majority in this thread are not happy. I haven't done a definitive count but it seems pretty split down the middle to me.

Anyway. I am outa here. I have better things to do with my life than feel bitter that I didn't get the deal of a lifetime.

29 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I can never understand why people think the value of something is a physical product and so does not apply to software. That is same argument people use when they download and use commercial software they did not pay for. When you pay for a software license, you are paying for the engineering, the software development and the testing, and the documentation that goes into producing a product. That goes for upgrades as well. 

Not sure why you think the majority in this thread are not happy. I haven't done a definitive count but it seems pretty split down the middle to me.

Anyway. I am outa here. I have better things to do with my life than feel bitter that I didn't get the deal of a lifetime.

Not....the same....at....all.    The middle of a football field is not the 35 yard line.

That is the best way of looking at it.

Edited by Paul Young

16 minutes ago, Walter Cruz said:

I think that the $99 upgrade price is permanent don't? If that's the case, it will be possible to use our loyalty vouchers next month.

Probably.  Will the vouchers great than $25 cover it.  Then again I don't think I want to support the duck and run.

28 minutes ago, Walter Cruz said:

I think that the $99 upgrade price is permanent don't? If that's the case, it will be possible to use our loyalty vouchers next month.

Voucher don't work on all PA's plugins - HG-2MS is a case in point. 
They only worked on GP3 when it was approaching end of life.
I'm holding out on updating to GP4 just in case a better (or fairer to people who paid more) deal comes along but not holding my breathe.

Edited by TheSteven

Just coming back here one more time to apologize for kicking up a shit storm. I truly appreciate the community on this forum compared to other forums which shall remain nameless, and I am sorry that my contribution made it a little less civilized. I should have realized that trying to change anyone's opinion is a futile endeavor and that my comments would only lead to people getting pissed off at me. Life's too short to waste so much energy on something I really don't care a lot about. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:47 AM, iScream said:

Hmm, I read somewhere (probably at reddit) that if you bought SmartEQ 2 shortly before the release of SmartEQ 3, upgrade is free.

I saw on reddit someone posted they got the upgrade to 3 after recently buying 2 so i emailed quoting the reddit user and like Larry was emailed back there was no free upgrade for recent buyers and the upgrade price was good or whatever word was used. I did upgrade because i wanted some of the features in 3. So yeah me too

On 6/1/2021 at 11:06 AM, TheSteven said:

PA didn't announce their 'deal' until after the developer's pre-release sale was over...
and their (PA's) price is higher than the prerelease developer's price.
Expected but still shitty

Gig Performer deleted comments on their Facebook page.   Odd that they claimed we should be getting this upgrade for free.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, Doug Rintoul said:

Just coming back here one more time to apologize for kicking up a shit storm. I truly appreciate the community on this forum compared to other forums which shall remain nameless, and I am sorry that my contribution made it a little less civilized. I should have realized that trying to change anyone's opinion is a futile endeavor and that my comments would only lead to people getting pissed off at me. Life's too short to waste so much energy on something I really don't care a lot about. 

I can imagine some of my posts are provocative as well, but really when I say "Maybe it's time to look in the mirror," it doesn't mean I'm holier than thou, and it may not even necessarily mean I think the fault can be found in the mirror, just that it's worth looking. When the discussion goes in these directions it's best to remind oneself that at core we're collaboratively trying to figure things out, and engaging is desirable only if in the end you're prepared to have a laugh at yourself. 🌦️

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 1:52 AM, TheSteven said:

Voucher don't work on all PA's plugins - HG-2MS is a case in point.

Hum, never noticed that  as I don't have HG-2 or HG-2MS.

Well, guess that we will know if the vouchers will work in GP4 upgrade next month.

The current $20 off code seems to work to bring upgrade price down to $79.

The code SUMMER-SALE-20OFF is stated to end this weekend. 

I am not sure that the price still warrants an upgrade for me so will wait for a better voucher. But I will download a demo of GP4 and see if there is anything I could immediately benefit from.

6 hours ago, teclark7 said:

The current $20 off code seems to work to bring upgrade price down to $79.

The code SUMMER-SALE-20OFF is stated to end this weekend. 

I am not sure that the price still warrants an upgrade for me so will wait for a better voucher. But I will download a demo of GP4 and see if there is anything I could immediately benefit from.

CORRECTION: Re-reading the email, the voucher is not stated it ends this weekend. Just the day 5 and day 6 deals.

9 hours ago, teclark7 said:

CORRECTION: Re-reading the email, the voucher is not stated it ends this weekend. Just the day 5 and day 6 deals.

Yes, the voucher should end until the end of the Summer Salles, confirmed by a PA account comment that I saw somewhere on facebook.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, Paul Young said:

Gig Performer deleted comments on their Facebook page.   Odd that they claimed we should be getting this upgrade for free.

Actually, just to be clear, customers who purchased directly from us (Deskew Technologies)  at full price after March 2021 were entitled to GP4 as a free upgrade. I appreciate that some users on this thread recognized that paying $30 (say) and then expecting a free upgrade to a major new version is unrealistic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, David Jameson said:

Actually, just to be clear, customers who purchased directly from us (Deskew Technologies)  at full price after March 2021 were entitled to GP4 as a free upgrade. I appreciate that some users on this thread recognized that paying $30 (say) and then expecting a free upgrade to a major new version is unrealistic.

You must be the same guy at Waves support that almost denied my free plugin because I bought it at EP for a less price than what fit in the Waves category.

1 minute ago, Paul Young said:

You must be the same guy at Waves support that almost denied my free plugin because I bought it at EP for a less price than what fit in the Waves category.

Nope -- I'm one of the developers of Gig Performer and we refuse to participate in the race to zero that goes on some parts of the plugin world.

• Like 4