Gig Performer 4

cclarry

3 hours ago, Leok85 said:

PA reply

no wonder he is Happy to tell me that.
only thing left to say PA have slicky attitude to run sales and squeeze its costumers 

Not sure what you paid, but a lot of people got v3 for $25 (thanks to sale plus vouchers) and then are now offered v4 for $99.  Well that has to be cheaper total cost than any option that was available to GP customers, right?

Overall PA has some of the best pricing in the business for the quality of plugins once you get on the train, I don't see how many people can fault them for that.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Not sure what you paid, but a lot of people got v3 for $25 (thanks to sale plus vouchers) and then are now offered v4 for $99.  Well that has to be cheaper total cost than any option that was available to GP customers, right?

the point here is absolutely not related to pricing what ever it will be $5, $50 etc..
the problem is PA attitude.
best it was already described by member @sarine in one of the previous posts here with which I 100% agree

That said, running a sale on the previous version two weeks prior to releasing the next - without announcing the next version - would be a scumbag move and say a lot about how the company views you, the customer; you're a dumb, dead resource. Give them the same treatment!

Edited by Leok85

7 minutes ago, Leok85 said:

the point here is absolutely not related to pricing what ever it will be $5, $50 etc..
the problem is PA attitude.
best it was already described by member @sarine in one of the previous posts here with which I 100% agree

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you did not buy it on such as sale, you would actually have to pay more for it now due to the pricing structure.

You going to fault them for that?

38 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you did not buy it on such as sale, you would actually have to pay more for it now due to the pricing structure.

That's just not true. Upgrading from "Ampeg SVT-VR Classic" (which was free!) costs THE SAME as upgrading from Gig Performer 3. Whatever money you've put towards the 3rd version 15 days ago (I put 40 dollars, which is a very large sum where I live) you threw it down the drain if you are intending to buy the newer version.

Furthermore, the sale ran  the very last day it could if they were concerned about the refund window they offer. I don't think it was unintentional.

There is an easy fix for this. Like "whatever you put into version 3, you get it as credits towards version 4". But if the intention was to double-dip from the start (and it looks like it was) it'll never happen.

And I'll never buy from them again.

• Like 1

An End-Of-Line GP3 has less value (as resources won't be expended on improving it) - but of course buyers didn't know they were buying EOL.

It's pretty normal for very recent buyers to get free/cheap upgrades, as distinct from just existing users - and I don't ever recall seeing differential upgrade pricing based on where it was purchased from.  

I can see why PA and Deskew played it this way, it puts money in the coffers from people who may never have bought GP at all and some of them may get hooked enough to pay the cost to upgrade to GP4 (even though that cost is far more than they paid PA for GP3) - but it feels a bit "bait and switch".  

47 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

somehow you really don't get the nesty trick they done by this "PROMOTION"

I'll try to give you illustration and honestly hoping you could understand the feeling.
 you buy ticket to theater show but surprising you receive a recorded CD to watch it at home  but yet the ticket seller  
tell "you want to see the live show pay additional cost"

thats exactly the feeling because if me so as everyone else would know prior the "PROMOTION" that in next 2 weeks I'll have to pay addition
cost to use recent version I probably wouldn't buy it on the first place

As a few of us noticed/commented at the time, that crazy last sale, when GP3 was $39.99 (so $15 with a voucher), made it quite probable this would happen. 

I bought it for $25 (with a voucher) during an earlier sale, and while I'd love to have GP4, I personally don't feel cheated. I basically bought a pretty great tool for not a lot of money, that I'm free to keep using. I'll simply decide if/when to get GP4 down the road, depending on PA's future sales. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

As a few of us noticed/commented at the time, that crazy last sale, when GP3 was $39.99 (so $15 with a voucher), made it quite probable this would happen. 

I bought it for $25 (with a voucher) during an earlier sale, and while I'd love to have GP4, I personally don't feel cheated. I basically bought a pretty great tool for not a lot of money, that I'm free to keep using. I'll simply decide if/when to get GP4 down the road, depending on PA's future sales. 

Agree 100%. It is only entitlement to think you should get a free upgrade when paying $25 for a $169 item. You do realize that it is more than PA involved here. Deskew also has to make a living as well. Gig Performer 3 is fine bit of kit and is worth far more than the $25 I paid for it. I was happy to get it for that price. Would you complain when you buy a 2021 car at a discount just before the 2022 models comes out with more features and then didn't get a free upgrade to the 2022 model?

12 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Agree 100%. It is only entitlement to think you should get a free upgrade when paying $25 for a $169 item. You do realize that it is more than PA involved here. Deskew also has to make a living as well. Gig Performer 3 is fine bit of kit and is worth far more than the $25 I paid for it. I was happy to get it for that price. Would you complain when you buy a 2021 car at a discount just before the 2022 models comes out with more features and then didn't get a free upgrade to the 2022 model?

That $99 price is for (almost) everyone... upgrading from the free Ampeg amp costs the same as from Gig Performer 3.

I'm not saying it should be free, but at least take into account money spent on the 3rd version.  I mean, if the problem is that there are people who got it for cheap, that'll solve the issue, right?

As it stands, if you are getting the new version anything you paid for the previous one is money down the drain. Unless you never cared for version 4, obviously.

7 minutes ago, jjattar said:

As it stands, if you are getting the new version anything you paid for the previous one is money down the drain. Unless you never cared for version 4, obviously.

You mean you bought GP3 caring about GP4 when GP4 wasn't even announced, but now that the latter is out, your GP3 is useless (as in money down the drain)? 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jjattar said:

That $99 price is for (almost) everyone... upgrading from the free Ampeg amp costs the same as from Gig Performer 3.

I'm not saying it should be free, but at least take into account money spent on the 3rd version.  I mean, if the problem is that there are people who got it for cheap, that'll solve the issue, right?

Thing is, it is not like you can't use GP3. Was GP3 not worth $25 to you when you bought it? Or did you buy it, hoping it was a dirt cheap path to GP4? If so, seem like playing the lottery to me.

As others have pointed out, GP4 is $169 right now. So $99+$25 is still cheaper than $169. If I buy something on sale and then it goes on sale for cheaper elsewhere, I do not consider the extra money I spent on the item, money down the drain. When I bought the item, I paid what it was worth to me. It would nice if a company refunded the difference, but I don't feel it is my right that they do. 

19 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

You mean you bought GP3 caring about GP4 when GP4 wasn't even announced, but now that the latter is out, your GP3 is useless (as in money down the drain)?

GP4 was announce long before the sale, yes. And I didn't expect it to get the upgrade for cheap, mind you. What I didn't expect was that GP4 will cost the same whether you've bought GP3 or not. Again, the upgrade from the free Ampeg amp costs the same.

What I expected when they did the sale was that, at worst, It'll cost exactly the same as buying the new version outright. Not more. When I say "money down the drain" I meant that if you want the new version you'll pay $99  for it whether you bought GP3 or not. English is not my mother tongue, so is probably my fault and I'm making a mess of words. My apologies.

25 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Thing is, it is not like you can't use GP3. Was GP3 not worth $25 to you when you bought it? Or did you buy it, hoping it was a dirt cheap path to GP4? If so, seem like playing the lottery to me.

As others have pointed out, GP4 is $169 right now. So $99+$25 is still cheaper than $169. If I buy something on sale and then it goes on sale for cheaper elsewhere, I do not consider the extra money I spent on the item, money down the drain. When I bought the item, I paid what it was worth to me. It would nice if a company refunded the difference, but I don't feel it is my right that they do. 

Of course I can use it! And I intend to do so.

GP4 is $99 right now. Not $169. To most people, at least. I mean, maybe some people don't qualify for the upgrade... but considering a free amp gives you access to the update,  I'm betting most qualify.

I paid $39.99 for it, almost half of what the new version costs. So the new version costs $140 for me instead of the $100 that it costs for (almost) everyone.  What I'm saying is, if you were interested in the newer version, not buying on the last sale (which, I might add, they did 16 days prior to the launch of the newer one while having a 14-day refund policy) would have been cheaper.

I'm not saying they should give it for free; quite the contrary.  But charging the same for the upgrade to people that bought the previous version as  for people that didn't right after doing a big sale is... well, it's not nice.

1 hour ago, fitzroy said:

This is much a myth as everything going subscription. 

• Confused 1

Make your complaints here -  https://www.facebook.com/groups/pa.audiophiles/announcements

I've found PA to be pretty fair but I wonder how much blame needs to be shifted to Deskew.  Maybe they have some ignorance in the world of the competitive market of DAW software.

I know I feel duped. When my vouchers run out I may take myself off the PA list.  While I never bothered to mess with it but Image Line may have something similar that is free for everyone.

1 hour ago, jjattar said:

GP4 is $99 right now. Not $169. To most people, at least. I mean, maybe some people don't qualify for the upgrade... but considering a free amp gives you access to the update,  I'm betting most qualify.

GP4 is $169 direct from Deskew. That is what I was referring too. When Deskew announced GP4, they stated that those who had bought GP3 since March1 would get GP4 for free. But if you bought direct from Deskew, you would have paid full price.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

15 minutes ago, Paul_in_wales said:

IL's "minihost modular" is handy - but it only covers one small part of what GP does.

If you want something similar to GP for a very small cost ($2 to download the latest version), check out Kushview Element. It doesn't have all the features of GP, but is great for checking out plugins if you don't want to fire up your DAW.

2 hours ago, jjattar said:

The fact they are offering it also for those that got the free Ampeg sounds generous to me.   

Still sounds like PA offered options to get it cheaper than through GP....why are people bashing PA again?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

The fact they are offering it also for those that got the free Ampeg sounds generous to me.   

Still sounds like PA offered options to get it cheaper than through GP....why are people bashing PA again?

Maybe those who paid for the Ampeg should complain that PA gave it away for free.

• Like 1