Cakewalk Installation is stuck .. Need Help Please.

Mewzik

Question

Hello All,

I previously had CBL installed from Jan 2021 on my desktop..without issue.  My secondary hard drive died (where my "VST" files were located) and had a replacement and changed it changed the drive letter from "D:" to now "F:"  

When I tried to update the Cakewalk software, it keeps asking during the install process to put the "VST" folder in the old "D:" location and will not give me the opportunity to select a different location.   Both the location and the "BROWSE" button are ghosted gray and I cannot find away to select a different location.  The only option is to cancel the upgrade and I am stuck.

Then I read , to uninstall CBL and try a fresh install from Bandlab Assistant.   I did but I am, same issue on new install of CBL.   Next I tried uninstall again but added removing all the adds component software (drum replacer, software suite, etc).  That went well except for the MELODYNE RUNTIME  component will not UNINSTALL.     I get a warning that the Administrator is blocking the removal of the Melodyne Runtime.     So I try to run the CBL installer a 3rd time and still am stuck at the same VST FOLDER point.

What can I do to get past this point and get the  CAKEWALK installed again.  I am out of ideas.

Computer  Specs:

Windows 10 / ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard (ATX) /  Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory /  500GB Solid State (Drive C) /  1TB 7200rpm HD (Drive E) /  Additional  Plug & Play  2-Bay Drive Docking station(  extra storage from old drives ).

Thanks in advance.

Capture_Cakewalk Install Stuck.JPG

5 answers to this question

Is there any compelling reason you changed the driver letter from D to F.

Personally, I would change your driv letter to back to D as there are probably lots of processes and application that expect a D drive to be present.

Edited by Promidi

Thank you @Promidi.    The previous D drive crashed and I had it replace with a new 1TB internal hard drive.  The replacement  was labeled Drive " E" when I got the computer back.   I do have room in the computer case to install another empty 500GB HD i have from a previous computer.  I will attempt to install it and label it with the Drive letter D with also folders CBL is looking for already established.

I still don't understand why removing the old CBL (using the Windows uninstaller ) & install a fresh copy of CBL from the Bandlab Assistant did not correct this issue,.

Thanks again and will see if that works..  Will post an update soon.

@scook  Thanks for this lead.  Gonna try the above suggestion "PROMIDI" gave me to rename the hard drive when I get home later tonight.   If that fails I will attempt the clean install you suggest.  I am  hesitant to bother the registry, but if need be.. I am committed.   I really appreciate your input.

[SOLVED]

Changing the Drive letter solved the issue and I was able to successfully get the CBL reloaded on the computer with the updated version.   Thanks so much  "Promidi" &  "scook".  I was at a dead  end until your  assistance gave me hope  and I am back in business again.