Sign in to follow this  
Hidden Symmetry

Engineering Steely Dan's GAUCHO

Steely Dan is one of my favorite artists both musically & sonically. Here's a interview with a neighbor of mine who was involved with engineering Gaucho ( & others)

Great insight into recording & the making this album. Sorry, no plugins discussed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87_NQ1c9g0

Donald Fagan's Nightfly has long been on my list of reference recordings. I never got too excited about the music, but the recording itself is a prime example of how to do it right. The lesson is: get the sound you want before it hits the microphone and you won't need to do much after that.

So true.

Get everything right  up front and the record practically mixes itself.

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Donald Fagan's Nightfly has long been on my list of reference recordings. I never got too excited about the music, but the recording itself is a prime example of how to do it right. The lesson is: get the sound you want before it hits the microphone and you won't need to do much after that.

Your point about getting the sound right before or going in is spot on. Al Schmitt is another master that amazes me, the mic placement king. 

These days as an itb amateur I've been trying to develop a less is more attitude, first by getting rid of most of my plugins. I also like first or second takes but my main problem comes from contracting Lyme disease 20 years ago. Trying to get a half decent take or idea down ( or a mix together) is sometimes next to impossible.

Still I'd like to try & incorporate some of these mixing & engineering techniques (in a much lesser form) on my future demos. Both Elliot's & Al's concepts & comments (among others) are always inspiring to say the least.

Yeh, I was thinking of Al Schmitt as I watched that interview. IIRC he accrued more Grammies than anyone, and famously avoided all fx. Sadly, just passed away recently.