Native Instruments Komplete upgrade deals starts June 1st!

Yan Filiatrault

Sam in the Composers Roundtable podcast that Simeon and I just did said flat out that the KU13 update was not worth it.  But then I mentioned that Noire (which he talked about) was in it.   But I think this is common.  A lot of people don't want to update every time.

Here's my two cents:

First, I do think 13 CE is worth it because Noire and Picked Acoustic are two of my very favorite instruments. Not just NI instruments, two of my favorites.  And Arkhis is really good.  And then there is some other stuff I am just exploring, which I'll talk about below.

I only got into Komplete with 11, but I've updated both times. But before this time, I always waited patiently and didn't buy anything, as I do for Total Studio.    This time I started buying things because I learned that reselling was so easy. 

When Noire came out, it was $149, but I had a $50 NI Voucher at the time.  So I got it for $100 and I figured I had a good chance to sell it at $75.
I couldn't resist Picked Acoustic, and it didn't go on sale at BF so I bought it with a voucher for $75.  I just sold it for $50.  So I paid $25 to enjoy it all these years.
I also bought Mallet Flux and Arkhis for half price.  I'm hoping to sell them for the same amount.  But again, if I have to cut the price by a few bucks, it was worth it.
i bought the update for the Percussion (a great library) and the Electric Sunburst Deluxe (sold already)

So we'll see how this works out.  But my feeling is that if you buy with vouchers or doing 50% off sales, you have a decent shot at getting all or most of your money back.

So right now I have two vouchers.  I will definitely use one for the upcoming Asian Discovery library  (no way that the Yangqin freebie was a one-off).  I'm going to want that one right away.   But I'm also thinking about getting the Electric Vintage Guitar with my other voucher.  So I pay $75 and hopefully sell for $50 someday. 

Compared to all the other crap I buy that I can't resell, it works out.  The thing that makes it work is that the NI prices are so steady.  Full price except for half price twice a year.   That works for me.  You can sell to people who don't want to wait for the next sale. 

But some of the other stuff I can wait for.  But I am pretty dazzled by the Cremona Quartet.  I never would have bought it from anybody else, but now that I have it, love it.  And I have a lot of pretty good violins and cellos already.  It has a lot of fancy articulations which make it a great combo with stuff like Sunset Strings and Ben Osterhouse stuff.  And of course Pharlight and Straylight I had demos on--so no surprises there, I knew I loved them.  Guitar Rig 6.  A real shocker was Butch Vig drums.  This is like a ujam drum set on steroids.  Just wow.  And he comes from my hometown of Madison, Wisconsin. I watched him play with his terrific pre-GARBAGE band Spooner.

During the holiday sales I bought Maschine software.  I had no idea you could play Maschine through my Komplete Kontrol controller.   It's so easy to miss because there are four buttons that don't light up unless you're running Maschine.  It's a blast to play with--very similar to using Ableton.  You don't have pads, but you can use your piano keys or another pad controller.    I'll probably make a video someday about it.  Needless to say, getting all those expansions really means something.

FYI, My sale is going on HERE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

First, I do think 13 CE is worth it because Noire and Picked Acoustic are two of my very favorite instruments. Not just NI instruments, two of my favorites.  And Arkhis is really good.  And then there is some other stuff I am just exploring, which I'll talk about below.

I hear good things about the piano but I have so many of them and of course you can get some good ones from Sampletekk right now.  It seems that new pianos, strings, and harsh sounding synths create oohs and aahs these days. It depends on what level you create and genres to not fall for is really gimmicks.

Upgrading from KU to KU doesn't really appeal when another $50 gives you KCE.  

Edited by Paul Young

I'm in Australia too. Kontakt > Komplete upgrade is $199 USD but $299 AU for us (at NI site and resellers). But the exchange rate for $199 US = $257 AU. I have no idea how they justify the extra $38 AU for a digital product.

41 minutes ago, Toffo said:

I'm in Australia too. Kontakt > Komplete upgrade is $199 USD but $299 AU for us (at NI site and resellers). But the exchange rate for $199 US = $257 AU. I have no idea how they justify the extra $38 AU for a digital product.

You never get the posted rate exchange rate when you purchase online. What would it actually cost you if you  purchased the upgrade at $199 USD with a credit card or paypal and factored in bank fees, etc?

2 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

You never get the posted rate exchange rate when you purchase online. What would it actually cost you if you  purchased the upgrade at $199 USD with a credit card or paypal and factored in bank fees, etc?

NI is charging ridiculously overcharged conversion fees, even when compared to the worst of them.

5 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

NI is charging ridiculously overcharged conversion fees, even when compared to the worst of them.

Ya, it looks like it. Posted rate for CAD to USD is .83. When I purchased with Paypal, the rate I got as .795. So my $98 should have cost me $118 using the posted rate. It actually cost me $123 from T&S. It would have cost me $129.50 directly from NI. So if you can, I guess it is better to buy from a third party in USD.

8 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Ya, it looks like it. Posted rate for CAD to USD is .83. When I purchased with Paypal, the rate I got as .795. So my $98 should have cost me $118 using the posted rate. It actually cost me $123 from T&S. It would have cost me $129.50 directly from NI. So if you can, I guess it is better to buy from a third party in USD.

That’s what I did. T&S in US dollars, no local taxes, used some loyalty points, and got 2 freebies on top.

8 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

In case you weren't aware of this, there's an option when you're paying through paypal and it shows you the converted rate in your local currency, "View currency conversion options" that allows you to pay in the original currency and then you'll get your own banks exchange rates. My bank gives pretty much the exchange rate, and because we have our home loan with them they don't charge currency conversion fees, so it works out saving me money each time. Unfortunately when I'm spending above and beyond and need to use credit, my credit card company charges exorbitant currency conversion fees so it makes the pain of overspending even greater. I think it ends up being about the same as what Paypal charges that way. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mesh said:

Thanks dee...

I was just about to ask if anyone has got the boxed set yet.....I ordered mine on 6/1 and no news  on the delivery date from T&S.

Me three. Fortunately I have enough toys to keep me busy for the time being. Could be why T&S added the bonuses to the pot.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

2 hours ago, Mesh said:

Thanks dee...

I was just about to ask if anyone has got the boxed set yet.....I ordered mine on 6/1 and no news  on the delivery date from T&S.

I ordered the Upgrade to KUCE13 from KU on June 2nd. ($293 - refund $23 = $270)

T&S sent me a reply, yesterday

---------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Due to a delay in shipping from Native Instruments we are delayed in shipping your order. Please be assured as soon as we receive our stock, we will ship the same day by your chosen method of delivery.

In the meantime, you can download the free products that are included with this purchase. The information to download the free products has been sent to your email address, if you have any issues with this download please reach out to us and we'd be happy to help

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Craig Nichols said:

In case you weren't aware of this, there's an option when you're paying through paypal and it shows you the converted rate in your local currency, "View currency conversion options" that allows you to pay in the original currency and then you'll get your own banks exchange rates. My bank gives pretty much the exchange rate, and because we have our home loan with them they don't charge currency conversion fees, so it works out saving me money each time. Unfortunately when I'm spending above and beyond and need to use credit, my credit card company charges exorbitant currency conversion fees so it makes the pain of overspending even greater. I think it ends up being about the same as what Paypal charges that way. 

But NI is charging in my local currency on it’s website, so I cannot change it. I changed it on T&S to pay in US dollars.

15 hours ago, Mesh said:

Thanks dee...

Mesh,

I ordered my boxed set of K13U from Time and Space but it's been quiet.  I logged into their website to look at my order but nothing shipped yet.  Oh well, I can be patient.😙

• Thanks 1