Tracktion F.'em synth released today! With intro pricing!

abacab

5 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

How is this considered pricey? Isn't that 169  - 199 the standard price for new A-list synths?

I guess we need to first determine if this is actually A-list gear.

• Like 1

I picked up Waves Flow Motion for $29. That's got me sitting on all the FM that I need at the moment. Very high quality sound, with a quirky interface.

Not sure why it never made the A-list. Its pretty, pretty good! Still $29:  https://www.waves.com/plugins/flow-motion-fm-synth

Probably got dissed by the die-hard FM gurus who like to program operators...

Also picked up the FM Station & Poly FM Station oscillator modules for Cherry Voltage Modular. Plenty of FM territory to explore there! $29 bundle with envelope generators and FM presets!

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/fm-bundle

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/poly-fm-station

That's a lot of F'em for $58!!! 😂

Edited by abacab
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Pretty pleased with this FM revival. Already got and love Phase Plant as well as MSoundFactory. 

This one looks like it’s gonna rule them all. Pricey but pretty, pretty good. 

Just like every new synth that comes out.

• Haha 2

Most likely going to get this at a sane price (-50% maybe) if the sound is good and the UI half-decent. I hope it's a nicer experience than that other dawrky thing they did.

90-day free trial apparently, which should actually be plenty.

• Like 1

Interesting but I'm not wow'd enough by the demo video to drop my panties and shell out $107.40

That it has 11 operators is interesting - hopefully there'll be patches then really shine because  they use all 11, but I really don't think there will be many.
FWIR Poison (imageline) has 8 operators but that wasn't enough of a feature to get me to switch from FM8 by NI.
A great many classic FM patches don't even use the 6 operators spec'ed out for the DX7 family of synths.
If adding more operators was the magic formula to sonic nirvana everyone & their mom would have added it to their cupcakes ages ago...

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

If adding more operators was the magic formula to sonic nirvana everyone & their mom would have added it to their cupcakes ages ago...

I think all these extra operators are there just for the flex. That and perhaps for adding transients, resonance or more straight-forward harmonics construction e.g. in order to emulate real instruments, so you can say you did this in FM when in fact you're simply summing oscillators together because why not, I've got eleventy independent operators with envelopes, effect chains and the everything. Who needs modulation?  Then it can be marketed as beginner-friendly FM. 🙂  Good luck trying to construct a modulation matrix in which going from 4-op or 6-op to 11-op actually upscales the quality of the resultant soundscape in proportion to the number of operators used. I'm going to predict endless variations on garbled  mess so ugly that it takes a next-gen CPU to produce.

There are plenty of good FM synths, but I still want to punch the developer everytime something as simple and useful as an oscilloscope is omitted. NI FM8 is one of my favorites, but the UI is not very pleasant to work with. However, sometimes barely tolerable will be enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cclarry said:

That's one of my all time favorite tunes! And quite possibly one of the best guitar solos ever! 👍

But the younger generation probably thinks it's a bit dated now...

All I have to say to anybody who doesn't like it: F'em!!!

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

That's one of my all time favorite tunes! And quite possibly one of the best guitar solos ever! 👍

But the younger generation probably thinks it's a bit dated now...

All I have to say to anybody who doesn't like it: F'em!!!

The Great Dane at its Finest!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cclarry said:

At that price...F'em! :P

I swear i 've read it like this the first , seeing the pic on the video i was like "yah a f 'em about the gov" synth or some lol  then i realised it was FM lol pretty usre they done it on purpose , would love the story behind this ...

• Like 1